1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 8:09 AM by CKPT RSS

Redo compression (LGWR)

RDBMS: 11.2.0.3.8

Hi

Could anyone clarify the following:

In a data guard configuration with a physical standby configured  with SYNC and LGWR  for transport settings, if redo compression is enabled - what process is actually responsible for the compression of the redo that is being transported?

I'm struggling to find this information in the docs, can anyone help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Redo compression (LGWR)
          CKPT

885820 wrote:

RDBMS: 11.2.0.3.8

Hi

Could anyone clarify the following:

In a data guard configuration with a physical standby configured  with SYNC and LGWR  for transport settings, if redo compression is enabled - what process is actually responsible for the compression of the redo that is being transported?

I'm struggling to find this information in the docs, can anyone help?

Thanks

Its good question indeed, First of all it comes under advanced compression option with extra license.

-  it uses GNU GZIP/BZ2 methods to compress data and as i understood it applicable even for DataGuard as well. If you see in RMAN

CONFIGURE COMPRESSION ALGORITHM 'BZIP2'; # default

So basically for any compression it uses the same concept of course within the compression algorithm there are changes in compression methods.

You can take a look into this URL if you are more interested to understand compression/adv compression.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/performance/oow-adv-compression-1-130322.pdf