1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 4, 2014 1:43 AM by Aritra-Oracle RSS

ASM diskgroups automatic mounting when a RAC node is booted

Hello,

We're on RAC in 11g on RH 6 on Dell with EqualLogic storage. Using ASMLib.

When installing the Grid infrastructure I left many things to defaults and ended up with:

o spfile parameter in +ASM1/2 instances is null;

o when dumping this spfile to a text pfile, I read the following:

~ +ASM1.asm_diskgroups='ARCH1','REDO1','FRA1','STBYREDO'#Manual Mount

~ +ASM2.asm_diskgroups='ARCH1','FRA1','REDO1','STBYREDO'#Manual Mount

~ *.asm_diskgroups='ARCH1','REDO1','FRA1','STBYREDO','DATA1'     [<= here ALL my diskgroups are present !]

~ *.asm_diskstring='/dev/oracleasm/disks'

My questions:

1/ should I modify spfile parameter explicitly to the path I find in ASMCMD ??

(which is: should I do an "ALTER SYSTEM SET spfile='+DATA1/cluname/ASMPARAMETERFILE/REGISTRY.243.847143025' scope=both") ??

Regarding my asm_disk* parameters:

2/ when doing a "show parameter asm_disktring" (or a SELECT FROM gv$parameter) it is null, and the

doc says "The default value of the ASM_DISKSTRING parameter is a NULL string", which is what I have, then:

a) if I have no +ASM*.asm_diskstring parameter listed in my pfile indeed, how come I find a *.asm_diskstring with the good value ?

b) should I modify this parameter and do an explicit ALTER SYSTEM asm_diskstring to set it to '/dev/oracleasm/disks' ??

3/ asm_diskgroups only contain ARCH1, REDO1, FRA1 and STBYREDO: DATA1 is missing, therefore should I modify

this parameter and do an explicit ALTER SYSTEM asm_diskgroups to set it to 'ARCH1','REDO1','FRA1','STBYREDO','DATA1' ??

What is best practice here ?

4/ what is this "#Manual Mount" comment, where does it come from ?

In advance, thanks.

Regards,

Seb

• 1. Re: ASM diskgroups automatic mounting when a RAC node is booted
          Aritra-Oracle

Hi Seb,    

We're on RAC in 11g on RH 6 on Dell with EqualLogic storage. Using ASMLib.

When installing the Grid infrastructure I left many things to defaults and ended up with:

o spfile parameter in +ASM1/2 instances is null;

o when dumping this spfile to a text pfile, I read the following:

~ +ASM1.asm_diskgroups='ARCH1','REDO1','FRA1','STBYREDO'#Manual Mount

~ +ASM2.asm_diskgroups='ARCH1','FRA1','REDO1','STBYREDO'#Manual Mount

~ *.asm_diskgroups='ARCH1','REDO1','FRA1','STBYREDO','DATA1'     [<= here ALL my diskgroups are present !]

~ *.asm_diskstring='/dev/oracleasm/disks'

My questions:

1/ should I modify spfile parameter explicitly to the path I find in ASMCMD ??

(which is: should I do an "ALTER SYSTEM SET spfile='+DATA1/cluname/ASMPARAMETERFILE/REGISTRY.243.847143025' scope=both") ??

==>> You can use amscmd spset command is you have ASM spfile,

example,

$ asmcmd

ASMCMD> spset +DATA/stgrac-cluster/asmparameterfile/registry.253.821440401

ASMCMD>

Regarding my asm_disk* parameters:

2/ when doing a "show parameter asm_disktring" (or a SELECT FROM gv$parameter) it is null, and the

doc says "The default value of the ASM_DISKSTRING parameter is a NULL string", which is what I have, then:

a) if I have no +ASM*.asm_diskstring parameter listed in my pfile indeed, how come I find a *.asm_diskstring with the good value ?

==>> If you are using ASMlib in your system ,and asm_diskstring is NULL ,means it is actually using ASMlib through ORCL:* path.

From v$asm_disk view you can see it is using ASMLib API.

So,no need to change this value.

b) should I modify this parameter and do an explicit ALTER SYSTEM asm_diskstring to set it to '/dev/oracleasm/disks' ??

===>> If you use this path ,then ASM will not use ASMlib API ,rather it will use system calls to access those devices .

3/ asm_diskgroups only contain ARCH1, REDO1, FRA1 and STBYREDO: DATA1 is missing, therefore should I modify

this parameter and do an explicit ALTER SYSTEM asm_diskgroups to set it to 'ARCH1','REDO1','FRA1','STBYREDO','DATA1' ??

What is best practice here ?

==>>It seems DATA is holding spfile ,even if you do not add it ,ASM will pull up this diskgroup .

If you want ,you can add it on asm_diskgroups parameter of ASM.

4/ what is this "#Manual Mount" comment, where does it come from ?

==>> Validate if you have any pfile of ASM is available on dbs directory on this system of ASM_HOME .

Regards,

Aritra