4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2014 9:51 AM by tychos RSS

What is the  Oracle Recommended order of patching on Exadata?

MS Sauter

We are about to patch our Exadata machine with Bundle Patch 22.  It is running ORacle 11gR2 (11.2.0.3.0).  I have seen differening opinions of the ORDER by which to patch it in both Oacle presnetations as well as white papers, but cannot find the answer in straight-up Oracle documantation.  Namely, the questioned order is:

1.) Infiniband Switches

2.) Storage Server

3.) DB

- Grid Infrastructure Home

- Oracle DB Home

VERSUS

1.) DB

- Grid Infrastructure Home

- Oracle DB Home

2.) Storage Server

3.) Infiniband Switches

Thank you for your help.

Matt

• 1. Re: What is the  Oracle Recommended order of patching on Exadata?

Hi Matt,

I would suggest raise the SR with an oracle support for the same.

Regards,

Mandar Kundargi.

• 2. Re: What is the  Oracle Recommended order of patching on Exadata?
            Srini Chavali-Oracle

Pl post the patch number. If you are referring to 17747147, then this is a database / GI patch and does not affect storage or IB. Instructions are in Sec 2.2 in the README

HTH
            Srini

• 3. Re: What is the  Oracle Recommended order of patching on Exadata?
              MS Sauter

MOS affirmed that the order of patching is: 1.) Infiniband 2.) storage server, and 3.) GI/DB.  Yes, the patch we are using is BP 22 and contains 17747147 for GI/DB, but the entire BP contains all 3 components.  Having read through MOS notes 888828.1 as well as 1553103.1, I actually have 2 other questions - one relates to the use of (or not) dbnodeupdate.sh and the other is overall semantics.  I posted to MOS, but have gotten no reply thus far.  Here they are:

1.) dbnodeupdate.sh is called out in 888828.1 in a very few places.  My understanding is that it is only used for UPGRADES - not patches (BP or otherwise).  Do you agree?  MOS 1553103.1 is written about dbnodeupdae, but seems to imply it automates upgrades - but is not required.  Not sure.

2.) What is the difference between a Quarterly DB Patch for Exadata (QDPE) and a Quarterly Full Stack DB Patch (QFSDP)?   I beleive I understand what they each contain, but it seems a QDPE is a subset WITHIN a QFSDP, but the documentation does nor differentiate.  I am not sure as to when I would download/use one versus the other.

Thank you.

Matt

• 4. Re: What is the  Oracle Recommended order of patching on Exadata?
                tychos

Hi Matt,

The order depends on your current patch level and installed rdbms/grid software.

If you read the readme of the Storage Server patch 11.2.3.3.0 you will find there is a known issue if your 11.2.0.3 rdbms/grid is equal or below BP20.

It will also inform you this patch executes an implicit upgrade of the infiniband firmware which you have to rollback if you have an Exadata/Exalogic configuration.

If you are on BP21 already you can patch in any order you like.

Can you share some details with us?

Update

I did the 11.2.3.3.0 last weekend and the ib switch upgrade is not implicit you need to upgrade using patchmgr commands.

Best would be to follow the machine owners guide page 7-91.

Regards,

Tycho

Message was edited by: tychos