1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 2:20 AM by Nicolas.Gasparotto Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Transaction Locking dilemma
        jgarry

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet:  could it be possible that the batch job or the app are running under the wrong time zone?  Even switching the default shell can change the default TZ.  What exactly did you do 5 months ago?  Patch dbconsole?  Fix java dates?

Yes, changing select for update changes program logic.  I'm sure RP is dead-on for the subjects he's addressed.

Answer to db cpu question: AWR reports: interpreting CPU usage | Oracle Diagnostician

• 31. Re: Transaction Locking dilemma
          rp0428
          Something I haven't seen mentioned yet:  could it be possible that the batch job or the app are running under the wrong time zone?

Hmm - well I was trying to mention it yesterday when I said this:

And, in my part of the world, 'midnight' is what separates 'today' from 'yesterday. So you either have the problem I mentioned with dates from 'yesterday' not being committed until 'today' (just after midnight) or your 'yesterday' and 'today' are being calculated differently by the batch and the app.

One way that happens is due to timezone issues; a client has a different timezone than the DB server.

OP doesn't seem to want to address the actual cause. They keep talking about UNDO, telling the vendor to remove their FOR UPDATE and various other strategies that won't actually fix or prevent the problem.

• 32. Re: Transaction Locking dilemma
            jgarry

Ah yes, so you did.  I overlooked the "calculated" because I was thinking "configured."

• 33. Re: Transaction Locking dilemma

I thank you all

Hi Rp,

OP doesn't seem to want to address the actual cause. They keep talking about UNDO, telling the vendor to remove their FOR UPDATE and various other strategies that won't actually fix or prevent the problem.

Sorry I want to address it but I do not know how ? I am confused with the lots of tips you gave me as there are so many, I can not grasp all at the same time fast 

Can you paste again here which of the tips is most important. I am lost already will all too many responses.

How can I address the issue, and the cause, when i am not the developer and do not understand the process flow completely.

I just thought AWR, ADDM, ASH will show the problem clearly.

So I want to state my case of which I am certain:

1. There is a table T1 which is very active, and does inserts like 20 rows per seconds.

2. The app is performing updates too or corrections.

3. Then at midnight cut, all the day's transaction are being process. The clients need the report for transaction todate at 5am the next day.

I just want to explain it to my boss what has been happening.

I am thinking to suggest that the data will be left in the table and only delete it after the second day? This is what Sb has been suggesting.

Do you think this will address the issue?

Thanks a lot,

• 34. Re: Transaction Locking dilemma

Hi all,

I just want to inform you that the cause of this locking and performance issues in our PROD is due to our RMAN backup contention scheduled to run and 1AM in which the batch process is heavy. This RMAN back up has 4 allocated channels which aggraviated the situation. I move the RMAN sked and remove the allocate channels and our problem was gone

My question is that, I have been experiencing this problem from a long time and I posted here lots of AWR, ASH, ADDM reports but none was able to see that the problem was RMAN???

Please explain

• 35. Re: Transaction Locking dilemma
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto

f55237a7-2c38-4db3-a7a3-1d77256f0730 wrote:

My question is that, I have been experiencing this problem from a long time and I posted here lots of AWR, ASH, ADDM reports but none was able to see that the problem was RMAN???

Please explain

Explain what ? Whatever it is about, I feel it's not going to the right track.

Moreover it has nothing to do with the original question.

So, it's enough now. I'm locking that thread.

Nicolas.

PS: thread unlocked on Joel's request.

Message was edited by: Nicolas.Gasparotto

1 2 3 Previous Next