2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2014 10:10 PM by Matthew Morris RSS

Another Error (I think) In the 12.1 New Features Guide

Matthew Morris

Under section 1.5.9.8 Storage Snapshot Optimization:

The first bullet point is: "Database crash is consistent at the point of the snapshot."

I think that is supposed to be: "Database is crash-consistent at the point of the snapshot."

At the very least, that seems to make more sense to me.  Googling around, there was a document on these features by EMC with that wording.

• 1. Re: Another Error (I think) In the 12.1 New Features Guide
          Cjmurray-Oracle

Thanks for that comment. I have sent a pointer to it to the writer for that book. Note that with the New Features Guide, most of the content is automatically drawn from an internal system that tracks projects and features; so if a change is needed, the writer will notify the owner of that content (typically a developer or a product manager) to investigate and (if necessary) modify the underlying data, after which the changed information will be picked up for a future revision of the book.

Also, while anyone is welcome to enter documentation comments in this forum, another option that may be more convenient for comments on specific sections is the Reader Comment area at the bottom of each HTML page (such as http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17906/chapter1.htm#NEWFT495 for the page containing Section 1.5.9.8). Any comments entered in a Reader Comment area go to someone in our documentation production group, who forwards them to the appropriate writers.

However, if a comment involves multiple HTML pages or books, or if you want the matter to be in a public forum for visibility and searchability, posting in this forum is a good option.

• 2. Re: Another Error (I think) In the 12.1 New Features Guide
            Matthew Morris

cjmurray wrote:

Also, while anyone is welcome to enter documentation comments in this forum, another option that may be more convenient for comments on specific sections is the Reader Comment area at the bottom of each HTML page

I use the PDF versions of the manuals and that's where I have found (and reported) several documentation errors.  Going into the HTML versions of the manuals so that I can relocate the errors so that I can report them is not particularly convenient.  I am perfectly happy to not bother reporting them, though, if you would prefer that.  That would save me some time.