10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 8:45 AM by BPeaslandDBA RSS

Problem with resolving gap

ElMasry

Hello All

I'm facing problem this days with resolve gap at my standby database , i made incremental back from standby database from lase SCN applied at standby when i recoverd it at standby i get this error

RMAN> run

2> {

3> allocate channel c1 device type disk;

4> recover database from tag 'TAG20140308T020314';

5> }

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog

allocated channel: c1

channel c1: sid=1478 devtype=DISK

Starting recover at 09-MAR-14

Starting implicit crosscheck backup at 09-MAR-14

Crosschecked 52 objects

Finished implicit crosscheck backup at 09-MAR-14

Starting implicit crosscheck copy at 09-MAR-14

Crosschecked 2 objects

Finished implicit crosscheck copy at 09-MAR-14

searching for all files in the recovery area

cataloging files...

no files cataloged

starting media recovery

unable to find archive log

archive log thread=3 sequence=181649

released channel: c1

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03002: failure of recover command at 03/09/2014 15:27:27

RMAN-06054: media recovery requesting unknown log: thread 3 seq 181649 lowscn 6058010815822

the problem is i can't find archived log 181649 in standby by or primary , is there any way to regenerate it ( my primary working ok) or i have to rebuild my standby

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Problem with resolving gap
          CKPT

Ensure you have taken SCN from backup based on the SCN of standby database. Here is step by step method and you can review where you done mistake in case.

http://www.oracle-ckpt.com/rman-incremental-backups-to-roll-forward-a-physical-standby-database-2/

• 2. Re: Problem with resolving gap
            ElMasry

Thanks CKPT for your reply

I did all of these steps , i took incremental backup from last SCN at standby database with control file backup BUT when i started recover this backup on standby i get above error .

Any Advice...

Thanks

• 3. Re: Problem with resolving gap
              CKPT

user6525788 wrote:

Thanks CKPT for your reply

I did all of these steps , i took incremental backup from last SCN at standby database with control file backup BUT when i started recover this backup on standby i get above error .

Any Advice...

Thanks

Sequence 181649 if not available on primary and standby, does it mean .....the specific sequence was deleted in between you took backup and reocvery of database?

Then you have to ensure the policy of archive logs as they should not be deleted, Moreover when you maintaining production database, it should also have archive log backups.

If you are maintaining database backup without archive logs, that really not an availability architecture at all. What you can do here is,

1) Again perform incremental backups

2) Comment the RMAN/OS archive job to ensure the archives not deleted until you perform recovery on standby with synchronization.

• 4. Re: Problem with resolving gap
                ElMasry

Yes i mean that  -- Sequence 181649 if not available on primary and standby --

I already check this policy but about current situation you advice me to take new incremental backup ( is this will be useful or i'll get the same error when i recover it at standby).

Is there any way to regenerate this log by SCN number or sequence number

Thanks

• 5. Re: Problem with resolving gap
                  CKPT

user6525788 wrote:

Yes i mean that  -- Sequence 181649 if not available on primary and standby --

I already check this policy but about current situation you advice me to take new incremental backup ( is this will be useful or i'll get the same error when i recover it at standby).

Is there any way to regenerate this log by SCN number or sequence number

Thanks

Simple : You will not get error if you have archive log sequence

sequence can't be generated when you dont have any backups either on primaryh or standby as far as i know.

• 6. Re: Problem with resolving gap
                    ElMasry

Now i have to make full recovery at standby database.

Is there any consideration to make that or this just full recovery from full backup ?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Problem with resolving gap
                      BPeaslandDBA

Instead of taking an incremental from the standby, why not use RMAN to perform an incremental roll forward from the primary to the standby? It works slick and is a great way to get your physical standby up-to-date with the primary. For the exact steps, see Note 836986.1

HTH,

Brian

• 8. Re: Problem with resolving gap
                        CKPT

After reading BPeaslandDBA commetn,  @EIMasry i wanted to confirm with you, are you taking incremental from the standby?

It should be performed on primary and of course thats what the URL says even.

• 9. Re: Problem with resolving gap
                          ElMasry

I took my incremental backup from primary , Now i'm prepare my self to make full backup and recover it at standby.

• 10. Re: Problem with resolving gap
                            BPeaslandDBA

ElMasry wrote:

I took my incremental backup from primary , Now i'm prepare my self to make full backup and recover it at standby.

Why do that when the incremental from the standby works well. Did you read the note that I posted a link to?

Cheers,
                            Brian