4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 5:04 AM by Catch-22 RSS

nvidia kernel + uek3 = failure

id does not seem like we can use nvidia drivers with uek3, right?

anybody has had any experiences trying?

regards

• 1. Re: nvidia kernel + uek3 = failure
          Avi Miller-Oracle

What are you trying to do? Oracle Linux is a server-oriented distribution, so very little work is done to try and get advanced graphics support.

• 2. Re: nvidia kernel + uek3 = failure

I've got to say this... yeah, yeah, yeah... I keep hearing this, everybody keeps telling everybody this... I'm not sure why.

the answer is CUDA, we need it, I guess lots!!! of people do that, on server type of OSes too.

cheers

• 3. Re: nvidia kernel + uek3 = failure
              Avi Miller-Oracle

If you are an Oracle Linux support customer, I recommend opening an SR to specify exactly which NVIDIA drivers you require. That can then be evaluated by our ISV/IHV partner team and the kernel development team for possible inclusion into a future UEK release.

• 4. Re: nvidia kernel + uek3 = failure
                Catch-22

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand, Nvidia CUDA is for applications to leverage the GPU for computing purposes, such as high performance floating point operations. I don't see how this will help anyone to have advanced graphics support for proprietary video adapters.

The problem are the card vendors, such as AMD or NViDIA, who do not see any real business opportunity to support Linux or open source. RHEL is built for reliability and performance and not to support the very latest graphics adapter. If you have a Laptop or Desktop system and want to install Enterprise Linux to run Oracle database, it is probably best to run a virtual machine, like VirtualBox.

If you experience trouble with the display, such as a blank screen, a shifted screen or distorted colors, you might want to verify that you have connected your display to the card output #1 and use PC BIOS mode by using the "nomodeset" kernel parameter. Unless you plan to play games or use 3D rendering applications, standard video support should be sufficient enough, including X Window.