3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2014 3:02 PM by rp0428 RSS

websocket integration with jsp and servlets

user12021554

Team:
      I am familiar with Servlet/jsp's and developed a web application using them. Now I am looking in Websocket of Java 7. Documentation is not clear how to integrate the two.

1. Let us say in my listener, I have already determined database connections, log file for log4j  etc.. Can I use it in Websocket Java classes based on annotation API of web socket. What is not clear to me how I  will access Context parameters for webapp saved in Listener.
      Any pointers will  be greatly appreciated.

2. I like jsp so I can dynamically modify the html to be shown. If I am using api, how will I do that, I know I can return data from websocket, but all the java logic which jsp provides, how can that be

implemented using web socket api.

Prem

Show trimmed content 

• 1. Re: websocket integration with jsp and servlets

Your question is unclear. Please describe clearly what you're trying to accomplish, and why you think sockets are necessary/desirable. Unless you're communicating with some outside source you didn't mention, sockets aren't usually part of Web applications, which use HTTP and/or Ajax rather than sockets.

Are you you thinking you need to eavesdrop on the the Web server's HTTP listener (usually on port 8080)? Unless you have a really unusual requirement, interfering with the server's listener is almost always a bad idea.

• 2. Re: websocket integration with jsp and servlets
            user12021554

I am talking abot websockets introduced in Java 7. They are bettwer than Ajax and http, because they provide two way connection and overcome http's stateless protocol.

• 3. Re: websocket integration with jsp and servlets
              rp0428
              I am talking abot websockets introduced in Java 7.

Yes - you said that - and without providing ANY link or reference to WHAT documentation you are talking about that is 'unclear'.

You also just ignored what you  were ask to do:

Please describe clearly what you're trying to accomplish, and why you think sockets are necessary/desirable.