9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2014 7:06 AM by Dude! RSS

"Last Activity" date/time

EdStevens

I've noticed this on both the OTN and MOS forums.  My normal method of reading the forums is to work from the "Content" tab, reading threads with a "Last Activity" timestamp newer than the last time I visited.  I've noticed that sometimes a message will have a very recent timestamp, but when I open it, the most recent message in the thread is several days (or more!) old.  Sometimes I can figure out that the thread was 'touched' by a mod (say, being locked) but quite often there is no indication at all of what bumped the thread.

• 1. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
          jgarry

In the past (like a couple weeks ago), I noticed that a lot in the MOSC fora.

Now that I've started looking at the content tab for spaces, I notice the first time I go there nothing is bolded (to indicate unread).

• 2. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
            Dude!

Any particular MOSC forum? I just checked and it seems to show read and unread fine. Are you using the "All Content" or "Discussions" tab? Bold/unread only works for the "Discussions" filter.

Regarding the time issues. From what I can gather, the only way for a user to bump up a thread to the recent top list is by adding additional posts. Modifying a post does not move the thread up the list, at least not on OTN. Perhaps someone added a response and then deleted it.

• 3. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
              EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

Any particular MOSC forum? I just checked and it seems to show read and unread fine. Are you using the "All Content" or "Discussions" tab? Bold/unread only works for the "Discussions" filter.

Regarding the time issues. From what I can gather, the only way for a user to bump up a thread to the recent top list is by adding additional posts. Modifying a post does not move the thread up the list, at least not on OTN. Perhaps someone added a response and then deleted it.

I hadn't considered the 'post/delete post' scenario.  I didn't make notes, but it seems there was a bit of a rash of these observations, which would seem to argue against that scenario.  I'll keep a closer eye and take some notes if I encounter it again.

• 4. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
                BPeaslandDBA

Is it possible that someone "liked" a part of that thread without any new content being posted?

Cheers,

Brian

• 5. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
                  gimbal2

BPeasland wrote:

Is it possible that someone "liked" a part of that thread without any new content being posted?

Cheers,

Brian

I haven't seen that make any impact on a thread myself. It only updates the "recently liked" list on your dashboard.

• 6. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
                    BluShadow

Dude! wrote:

If someone edits a post "silently" it still changes the timestamp on their post so the posts can seem out of order for the thread.  Not sure how that effects the discussions/content tabs, and I don't have time to test.

• 7. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
                      Dude!

Prior to the Jive 5 upgrade, when modifying a post, the thread would revive, similar to adding a response. This is no longer the case In the current software and was one of the first changes I noticed. I just tested it again and updated a post in an older thread - the thread does not revive and appear in the recent forum listing. (I updated post number 3 in Re: Oracle Community Forum Guide). However, if someone is tracking or following a thread, updating a post will be shown In Communications or Dashboard, unless the user enables the "Minor edit, don't send notifications or update streams" checkbox.

• 8. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
                        EdStevens

Ok here's a firm example.

It is currently 6:31 AM my local time

In the Recovery Manager space, the listing for thread Rman backup

shows a last activity of April 3, 2014 1:29 AM

but when I open the thread, the last (newest) message shows a timestamp of

• 9. Re: "Last Activity" date/time
                          Dude!

I cannot verify the dates and have different data. Perhaps some responses were deleted.

When I open the content view the thread shows latest activity April 2, 2014 11:29 PM.

When I open the thread it shows Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 3:45 AM

As far as I can tell the listing in the content view shows latest activity column, but threads are sorted by last reply, which is not displayed. Perhaps this is the confusion, but it seems to confirm the findings mentioned in my previous response.