1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 11:38 AM by Robert Chase RSS

Files not found for OL5.5?

twillaert

When trying to download files from http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/5/base/x86_64/ I always receive a HTTP 404 / Not found error. Is this a bug or will these file no longer be offered for download? I'm particularly interested in http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/5/base/x86_64/kernel-headers-2.6.32-100.0.19.el5.x86_64.rpm, but so far all the files in the top of the directory seems to be returning 404 errors. Trying multiple times and getting connected to different akamai mirrors doesn't seem to make a difference.

• 1. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
          Catch 22

It would probably help to find out :

1. what OS distribution you are using

2. what you are trying to install the kernel-headers package for, e.g. VM tools.

3. what command you are typing to receive the error

4. does accessing the Internet generally work.

• 2. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
            twillaert

Try clicking the 2nd link (to the headers rpm) and let me know if you also receive the 404 error. I'm actually trying to download it using yum on OL5.5 to compile VMWare, but accessing it using yum, Chrome, IE, Firefox or wget all fail. I doubt the webservers check what client you use to download the file. Trying to download other versions from public-yum.oracle.com do not give any errors when using a webbrowser. The first link gives a correct directory listing but randomly clicking a dozen of links on the first page all return HTTP 404.

• 3. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
              Catch 22

Did you install the latest yum repositry configuration file?

I wrote the following VMware Tools and Oracle Linux Howto some time ago. I'm not sure what the current situation is since I switched to VirtualBox, but perhaps you will find it useful.

And btw, why 5.5 and not a later version which includes the UEK kernel?

• 4. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                Avi Miller-Oracle

twillaert wrote:

When trying to download files from http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/5/base/x86_64/ I always receive a HTTP 404 / Not found error. Is this a bug or will these file no longer be offered for download?

It's a bug in the script that creates the indexes for our mirrored public-yum.oracle.com. Add "getPackage" to the URL, as follows:

http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/5/base/x86_64/getPackage/kernel-headers-2.6.32-100.0.19.el5.x86_64.rpm

Note however that you DO NOT require the kernel headers to get the VMware Tools to compile. You actually just need kernel-uek-devel and you should be using yum to install it anyway, instead of downloading it manually. So, download the public-yum-ol5.repo file, put it in /etc/yum.repos.d and enable the appropriate repository. I recommend enabling ol5_latest and ol5_UEK_latest

Also, you're trying to download stuff from OL5U5 base, which was released in 2010. You really should update the machines to OL5U10. You're missing around 4 years of security fixes.

• 5. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                  twillaert

I got tasked to move them to VMWare, but I'm not responsible for the apps that run on them. Is the entire OL5 series ABI compatible? Otherwise, if it breaks any of the applications on top of it, that might give a problem as other parties are responsible for them.

Still, even with the "getPackage" I can't download the file. It's not that I don't want to use yum, it's because yum returned the 404 error that I tried finding the rpm elsewhere.

• 6. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                    Catch 22

Oracle guarantees Kernel Application Binary Interface (kABI) compatibility within an Oracle UEK family. For instance, versions 2.6.39-300.3.1 and 2.6.39-300.4.1 use an identical kABI, while 2.6.39-400.26.1 may require relinking of 3rd party kernel drivers. The user space is always 100 % compatible.

Regarding your other error, did you download the latest repository file as outlined on the public yum website? Keep in mind that wget does not necessarily overwrite an existing file, so you should rename or delete your old repository file in /etc/yum.repos.d first.

• 7. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                      twillaert

Downloading the latest repo file automatically enables ol5-latest, changing the enabled flags in the repo file to select ol5_u5_base returns 404 errors when using yum to install packages.

• 8. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                        Catch 22

Yes, there is obviously a problem with the service provider or web page.

You can try to open the link directly in your browser: http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/5/x86_64/

What you get is "File not found". That should explain the error you are receiving.

Why there is "File not found" is something I think Akamai or Oracle needs to investigate. Perhaps the information has been archived. If you do not want the "latest" channel for any reason, you can also configure yum to use your dvd as a local repository.

• 9. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                          Avi Miller-Oracle

twillaert wrote:

Downloading the latest repo file automatically enables ol5-latest, changing the enabled flags in the repo file to select ol5_u5_base returns 404 errors when using yum to install packages.

I will report this to the public-yum.oracle.com administrators so that they can check the Akamai mirrors.

• 10. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                            twillaert

I already tried that, but the DVD only contains the 2.6.18 kernel, not the 2.6.32. So the person who set up the server used the OL5_u5 base DVD to install the system, then used yum to update the kernel, but didn't install kernel-devel. I guess the easiest way now will be to update the kernel to ol5_latest and go from kernel-2.6.32-100.0.19el5 to kernel-uek-2.6.32.100.37.1.el5uek and install the accompanying kernel-uek-devel package.

Btw, the "File not found" on your link is the problem I'm trying to get across since the start of this thread. Still, I appreciate all the replies, I might not get the file I'm looking for, but maybe I'll get a more recent compatible kernel including the headers I need.

• 11. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                              Avi Miller-Oracle

twillaert wrote:

I already tried that, but the DVD only contains the 2.6.18 kernel, not the 2.6.32. So the person who set up the server used the OL5_u5 base DVD to install the system, then used yum to update the kernel, but didn't install kernel-devel. I guess the easiest way now will be to update the kernel to ol5_latest and go from kernel-2.6.32-100.0.19el5 to kernel-uek-2.6.32.100.37.1.el5uek and install the accompanying kernel-uek-devel package.

Yes, and it's better from a security perspective too. Note that kernel-uek-2.6.32-100 is still very, very old. You should be going to at least the latest UEK which is 2.6.32-400.34.4, which itself is pretty old. The actual latest UEK for OL5 is the UEK Release 2, which is 2.6.39-400.214.4 and can be found in the UEK_latest repository. This errata release is only 4 days old, so it's the absolute latest for OL5.

Though, you shouldn't just update the kernel. You should update the entire OS from ol5_latest to patch any and all userspace security errata that have been patched in the 4 years since OL5U5 was released.

Btw, the "File not found" on your link is the problem I'm trying to get across since the start of this thread. Still, I appreciate all the replies, I might not get the file I'm looking for, but maybe I'll get a more recent compatible kernel including the headers I need.

This is confirmed and reported to the administrators of public-yum.oracle.com. Note that this issue is not seen on ULN itself, so if you have Oracle Linux support, you could register the system with ULN (or use a local mirror of ULN) and obtain the package that way.

• 12. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                                Catch 22

I just realize that the link I previously tried had "base" missing in the path, although I copied it from the browser after clicking on "x86_64". I'm not sure what is going on, but also the entry in the repository file does not use "$basearch" like the rest of the entries.

The link http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/5/base/x86_64 works know. However, the content is not the 5.5 base distribution, but rather some Oracle UEK 1 related packages, such as kernel-2.6.32-100.0.19, which did not use UEK in the package name at the time.

The 2.6.32 kernel is the Oracle UEK kernel. It was an optional install available during the 5.5 release. I think it was available as an additional option and requried adding the appropriate UEK channel in the repository configuration. Starting with 5.6, the Oracle UEK became the default kernel installed.

Anyway, some of the links are still goofed up. For instance, when you browse http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5 and then click on "UEK" or "latest", it shows "File not found".

• 13. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                                  twillaert

Can upgrading from kernel-uek-2.6.32-100 to 2.6.39-400.214.4 break userspace tools or startup scripts (like udev)? If not, it should be allright as long as no 3rd party drivers are used?

Can upgrading userspace tools within ol5 (from _u5 to _latest) break other linked applications?

I understand that running the latest security patches is a best practice, but the system is only reachable from lan or via VPN which limits attack vectors. Also, there's no test environment available to test things. I can do some limited testing on a VM copy, but I don't even know how to verify all applications on the server. Support from their 3rd party vendor to upgrade/relink applications might be problematic.

• 14. Re: Files not found for OL5.5?
                                    Avi Miller-Oracle

We maintain kABI and userspace compatibility with a release of Oracle Linux. If you upgrade the entire system, there is only a very slight chance that userspace applications would break as we don't upgrade major versions of any of the components. You're right that 3rd-party kernel drivers are the exception: they would need to be recompiled for the new kernel version.

1 2 Previous Next