6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 3:21 PM by Keoki RSS

How to verify that SQL Developer in on my Windows 7 machine

I know I installed SQL Developer. It came, i thought, with the rest of Oracle when i installed it. But I'm looking under the Oracle and Applications on my start menu and I see SQL PLUS but not SQL Developer. How can i check to see if it is on there? Is there a RUN command?

Do i just reinstall it if it is not?

Oracle seems tricky to me. I don't want to do anything wrong.

• 1. Re: How to verify that SQL Developer in on my Windows 7 machine
          Gary Graham-Oracle

If you installed 11g R2 (for example), then Windows Start menu should have...

Oracle - <your Oracle Home name>

Application Development

SQL Developer

Clicking on SQL Developer should open it.  Using Help > About should show the release is 1.5.5.  That is quite out-dated, so you should install a modern version.  Even if your Oracle version is 12c, a more recent release, 4.0.1, of SQL Developer is available for installation:

Oracle SQL Developer Downloads&lt;/title&gt;&lt;meta name=&quot;Title&quot; content=&quot;Oracle SQL Developer Downloads…

Documentation for all SQL Developer releases is available here:

Documentation Index&lt;/title&gt;&lt;meta name=&quot;Title&quot; content=&quot;Documentation Index&quot;&gt;&lt;meta nam…

SQL Developer Team

P.S.: And keep in mind that installing the downloads from this site will not create / update the Start menu shortcut, and even some database installations that come with SQL Developer will not create / update the Start menu shortcut.  Assume you'll need to manage that yourself.

Message was edited by: Gary Graham

• 2. Re: How to verify that SQL Developer in on my Windows 7 machine

Thanks for the reply. The PS is the main part of the problem. Why doesn't it update the Start Menu? It also seems contradictory because the first thing you assumed was that it WAS under the start menu. That is how you started your reply. So why should I assume that its not there?  Also I don't see it in Programs and Feature in a list of installed applications. I can only open it by double clicking the EXE file in the Downloads folder.

I'm going to see how to add this to the Start menu (which i think it is odd you assumed that it was there and then told me I'll have to put there myself.) If i can't figure it out, then I'll post back. Thanks! 

I do appreciate your reply. I felt like i was doing something wrong. There should be a note telling people what they need to do before they download. That would help them not feel so SURPRISED. Most apps add stuff to your Start Menu or an icon on your desktop. There is usually an option if you don't want it.

Perhaps you can explain. But thanks for replying. Oracle seems to quirky to me.

(You know I tried replying to this post several times and refreshing and it still did not reply. Oracle is quirky in EVERY WAY! I mean this is a forum. It shouldn't be hard to post.)

• 3. Re: How to verify that SQL Developer in on my Windows 7 machine
              Gary Graham-Oracle

You are probably accustomed to having applications for the Windows OS come packaged with a specialized installation program that updates one or more Windows environment variables and the Windows registry, creates shortcuts, and so on.  If you install Oracle via OUI (Oracle Univeral Installer), then you will feel right at home.  When downloading and installing from these up-to-date SQL Developer zips, however, we leave that bit of administrative overhead up to the user.   Actually the SQL Developer installation guide alludes to this fact: Installing Oracle SQL Developer

If Oracle Database (Release 11 or later) is also installed, a version of SQL Developer is also included and is accessible through the menu system under Oracle. This version of SQL Developer is separate from any SQL Developer kit that you download and unzip on your own, so do not confuse the two, and do not unzip a kit over the SQL Developer files that are included with Oracle Database. Suggestion: Create a shortcut for the SQL Developer executable file that you install, and always use it to start SQL Developer.

And, frankly, being able to install this way from zip files is very convenient to anyone (developer or user) wishing to have multiple, concurrent installs of a product without stomping all over their environment variables and registry entries.  As for the forum, Oracle hosts it but the software (Jive) is from a third-party.

Hope this helps,

• 4. Re: How to verify that SQL Developer in on my Windows 7 machine

Thanks! For the information. I did read that portion. I wish it could have been on the download page. It would have been good to tell people how to create a shortcut if they are not familiar with it. What I did was right click on the EXE file and created it. Then i drug it to the Desktop. Instructions would have made sure we understood what was being said and how to do it.

Thanks very much for the information. When i click on Communications (which is next to Dashboard and Notifications) to see who responded to my posts, There is a button that says "Reply to original discussion." WHen i click it a dialog book with rich text tools opens so that I can type this reply. But when i press comment, NOTHING happens but my the button is disabled. Its not clear what is going on. It is frustrating and wastes time. Try it yourself.

It happened again. Then you have to figure out how to get your comments posted!  Or how to send a message to your admin that you can't post. By sheer serendipity I clicked on my Thread's title and was transferred to the correct page where I was given a different window to post in. THat is how I got my post posted last time. Check it out. Its a headache.

• 5. Re: How to verify that SQL Developer in on my Windows 7 machine
                  Gary Graham-Oracle

When i click on Communications...

Interesting... I always use the Overview tab. There is actually another forum for questions and feedback on the forums in general:

And specifically regarding the Communications > reply issue, I found this:

Replies from Communications getting lost

Best Wishes,

• 6. Re: How to verify that SQL Developer in on my Windows 7 machine

Thanks for checking and the reply. Very much appreciated!