11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 2:30 AM by BluShadow RSS

Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts

Keoki

Is it possible to have an automatic signature at the bottom of our posts? I'd like to put useful information about my system since so many different systems are being used. I also don't know all the particulars of Oracle yet. I'd like to state what version of Windows I'm using, the version of Oracle database, etc.

I don't always remember to provide all that information i think putting it in the signature would be great. I check the FAQs and I didn't see anything under my profile.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
          jgarry

I think this was suggested in the https://community.oracle.com/community/developer/english/technology_network_community/community_feedback_and_suggestions…  space, and there was an answer of no.  I'd personally think it is a good idea, although I've seen it abused elsewhere.  I think there might be some worry of people using it to spam with lots of useless answers.

• 2. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
            Keoki

Thanks!

I've honestly not seen it abused in other online forums.

• 3. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
              jgarry

Not the thread I was looking for, but interesting: Re: Appropriate to link to one's blog post to answer a question?

• 4. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
                Dude!

People may worry that some people use a signature to spam with lots of useless answers, but people can post useless answers with signatures even now, at least until a moderator takes care of it. Beside regular spam, it does not seem to be happening much.

It is perhaps a habit or question of ethics or mind-set to keep the forum clear from any commercial interests or personal advertising. However, ask yourself, if an answer is nonsense, would you even be interested in any of information provided by the signature? Could it not rather be the opposite, that you would be more interested in the signature if the answer was very useful? Why should other people not be aware of the same?

I suggest to reconsider and allow people to provide any kind of a decent signature, even advertising, provided it is limited in size so it does not steal any focus. Why should there not be something in return for those who are providing a good answer? It might even set new incentives and improve the overall forum quality.

Sorry, I think the fear that people would abuse the forum to advertise their signature is baseless. What is Oracle's policy about it?

• 5. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
                  rp0428

Regardless - this is NOT the forum for that issue.

Post your suggestions in the community forum designed for that purpose:

https://community.oracle.com/community/developer/english/technology_network_community/community_feedback_and_suggestions_(do_not_post_product-related_questions_here)

• 6. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
                    Dude!

I was responding to the message that appeared in the community feedback and not the database general forum.

• 7. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
                      BluShadow

I've now moved the thread to the community feedback space.  The confusion was because the community feedback forum space was referenced by jgarry, it appears in, and can be answered from, both spaces.

@OP,

I've honestly not seen it abused in other online forums.

Unfortunately people do abuse it, to link to their books, websites etc. and not just for posting information required to assist on the forums.

There's also the other issue that where you have forums where people are allowed signatures, it can make it harder to read the whole discussion, as so much of the page is littered with signature text (and in some cases, images), often being repetatively shown, and often larger than the one or two line responses people are posting.  It becomes similar to trying to watch a TV programme and having adverts popping up every 2 minutes... you tend to lose interest in the program and it takes a lot longer to get through.

The purpose of the Oracle forums are for peered technical assistance, so being succinct and having information clearly visible, without cluttering it up with other stuff, is important.  The Oracle Admin team have stipulated that they do not want people constantly posting signatures with links to their blogs etc. and there are places within each persons profile/bio for placing such things.

• 8. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
                        Dude!

I think it is just another one of these topics that should actually be questioned or reconsidered under the current situation, current audience and general Internet developments. People who want to post useless content for the purpose of advertising do it anyway, and nothing but the forum moderators or admins can currently stop people from adding a signature today. My guess is that the majority of people simply do not even have a signature that is worth being advertised. At least I don't, and that may speak for itself.

There will always be people who will try to abuse a system, regardless. However, I think the goal should rather be to find ways to better manage the situation. I agree that in the current scenario it is easier to manage an on or off situation, but isn't this were computers or software should actually come in to assist? Could the current forum software not be a little bit more ingenious or at least try to address the desires of forum participants, management, or the prerequisites of a technical forum?

For example, why are there no mandatory fields that people have to fill in for basic product information. Such information, could actually be shown as a link and automatically be added to a forum post. The same could be done for a signature, which people could click to see the information if desired. Or how about allowing only Guru's to a have a limited one-line signature?

I think there are ways to make forum participation more reasonable and improve the quality of content by making it more worthwhile. But for some reason it seems to be more reasonable to argue about people's opinions, pursuing a certain historic forum culture or ideology.

• 9. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
                          Dude!

Btw, just an idea, but would it be acceptable to have a footer, similar to "Please see my profile for additional info regarding the current topic"?

• 10. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts

Dude! wrote:

Btw, just an idea, but would it be acceptable to have a footer, similar to "Please see my profile for additional info regarding the current topic"?

I, for one, have no issue with that at all.

I think is preferable to those whose posts seem to be nothing more than a vehicle to their signature's advertisements.

.   and to O.P. (Keoki),

The forum FAQ specifically states that you should:

"Keep linkspam out of your signature - your profile page is the appropriate place for users to find you more information about you."

(That's in the small section of the FAQ about forum etiquette.  Your user profile's Biography section is an example of an acceptable location.)

• 11. Re: Creating a Signature at the Bottom of posts
                              BluShadow

Well, I'd be happy if there were clear guidelines, and signatures were like the custom avatars... i.e. something that you had to put forward for approval, and if it then met the guidelines it would get approved and become visible, otherwise it would be removed.

Of course it all relies on what Jive can do... so let's not hold our breath.