1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2014 10:05 AM by SMitov RSS

I had a dream - Forms14Fx

JeanYves Bernier

I dreamed that Oracle will provide us with a brand new and sexy FormsBuilder, let say a FormsDeveloperFx with Sqldeveloper included.

And good bye to the old awt classes, welcome to javaFx .... !

Of course this is a huge effort for Oracle staff to move Forms to JavaFx, keeping for us, 'old' form developer, the basic pl/sql way to build a form with our well known triggers and canvas.

But how sexy will be our forms applications ! resizable, columns sorting. modern UI

Forms as a Rich Internet Application, wow ! how sexy would be that !

It's so good to dream... !

• 1. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
          Zlatko Sirotic

Very nice dream

Maybe in Forms 14 ...

Regards

• 2. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
            JeanYves Bernier

Yes Zlatko,

And I hope my dream comes true, and that I have not to wait such as long as when I was dreaming about AQ integration wtth forms.

• 3. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
              Christian Erlinger

I dreamed that Oracle will provide us with a brand new and sexy FormsBuilder, let say a FormsDeveloperFx with Sqldeveloper included.

They have the forms API already somehow ported to java (even though it is only a wrapper to the good old Open API C-dll); but in any case I guess it would be very doable to turn it into a JDeveloper or Eclipse plugin and throw away the entire codebase of the dusty forms builder.

As for the JavaFX GUI this would require a partly rewrite of the Forms Applet, which to me also would be very doable. Of course the downside might be that some custom PJCs extending oracle's Java Classes (VTextField,...) might need a redesign after an upgrade.

There would be no need to touch the forms binary format and the forms runtime (although it might not hurt to get rid of the binary format alltogehter and teach the forms compiler to read a xml file to produce a .fmx file instead which would make a *great* improvement for all of us using a version control system).

But I guess this is and stays exactly what it is: a dream

cheers

• 4. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                JeanYves Bernier

Christian Erlinger a écrit:

But I guess this is and stays exactly what it is: a dream

Hi Christian, how are you ?

Dreaming is so powerful ... and I'm always an optimistic guy that never says never  ..

As I wrote before I dreamed about AQ integration in  Forms, and it has become reality with the 11g version.... in 2009.

Of course it takes times .... about 6 years...

Speed of Web-Based Developer Suite 9i compared to other Web technologies.

Multi-Threading Forms - AQ integration

As you mentioned, this would be very doable, so Oracle guys ,let's do it !

• 5. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                  dsscott

Since we're dreaming may we could get Oracle to open source Forms. LOL

• 6. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                    lake

Yes that has been proposed before. But it's still a good idea. Note that MS just opensourced .net. And that's a very popular product.

http://i-programmer.info/news/89-net/7145-net-goes-open-source-.html

Re-implementing or also-implementing forms as dot net would be cool, if it could be multiplatform. I see xamarin is in the loop there.

http://www.dotnetfoundation.org/

I hope our favorite vendor whose name starts with an o will be involved. Afterall there is that odac product out there. I thought odac had a lot of promise when

I looked at it several years ago but really, getting those two technologies to play nice had a learning curve.

• 7. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                      Christian Erlinger

I'm fine, thank you . How are you?

Of course it takes times .... about 6 years...

Ah, yes, it takes time...Maybe there will be an entirely new Forms Builder after I retire. However I have no illusions about my retirement being before 2050

cheers

• 8. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                        lake

I don't know anything about javafx. And it sounds complicated regarding its history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaFX

I guess the question is what are the advantages of javafx over applets? Something still has to be installed on

the client, but what? Is there a possibility of javafx 8 and javafx 7 coexisting? I'm interested in escaping some

of the severe limitations of the jre.

• 9. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                          Christian Erlinger

wikipedia wrote:

As of Oracle Java SE 7 update 6 and Java FX 2.2, JavaFX is bundled to be installed with Oracle Java SE platform.

The JavaFX classlibrary is bundled now with the JRE (previously you had to install it seperately).

For Java6 you still have to install it seperately: JavaFX Download for JDK6

JavaFX itself is a Class Library; meaning you use it in your applet instead using e.g. Swing JButtons you'd use JavaFX Buttons. So the question isn't what the advantage of JavaFX over Applets is, but the advantage of JavaFX over e.g. Swing; and there is of course the obvious: there are more controls in JavaFX.

Getting Started with JavaFX: Hello World, JavaFX Style | JavaFX 2 Tutorials and Documentation

So for making use of JavaFX in the Forms Applet Oracle would need to reimplement their VXYZ components (like VTextField) with the JavaFX components; as you extend the VXYZ components when building your very own PJCs those custom Components may behave differently or might need a rewrite if Oracle would choose to use JavaFX in Forms.

cheers

• 10. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                            lake

Thanks for clarifying that. However I thought there was some way javafx could run on mobile whereas installing the jre is not generally going to happen on ios or android, correct? Mobile would be good!

I'd like to get out of the applet business due to the ever increasing hostility about the presence of the jre from the institution and the problems trying to deploy more than one version of the jre at the same time.

If those problems were solved I'd then probably be excited about better graphics. Graphics are definitely good. Speaking of which, I wish we could generate graphs/charts in forms as used to be the case and everyone

expects because products like excel, sas, R etc generate graphs left and right.

• 11. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                              fxmatz

Hi,

JavaFX does not solve really our basic problems with Forms !

We have to analyze the situation:

1.) PL/SQL is a very good robust industry programming language and runs on the PVM (PL/SQL virtual machine in the middle tier) ~ we like it.

PL/SQL is a hybrid language: PL (comes from ADA) and SQL and this compiler is very complex !

PL/SQL (and MS LINQ) can handle the syntax / semantic problems with the compiler.

2.) Java runs on the JVM (desktop, middle tier, database!)

Java runs on Android in the DVM (Dalvik virtual machine)

OK, JavaFX runs on the JVM, with new syntax and declarative features;
                              so does we need a:

- Forms-Java on JVM & DVM ?

- Forms-PL/SQL on JVM & DVM ?

A Forms-PL/SQL on JVM & DVM would be my favorit then with the JavaFX features. ;-))

Regards.

• 12. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                                Christian Erlinger
                                JavaFX does not solve really our basic problems with Forms !

If you see the dusty interface of the forms applet as a basic problem, then JavaFX would solve this problem.

I don't get your point on running the forms runtime (frmweb.exe) on any JVM. Do you want to run a forms server on your Android Smartphone?

cheers

• 13. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                                  Christian Erlinger

At least the Java Plugin is not going to happen on Android, as it would mean a Java Plugin written in...Java...yes there are lunatics out there who might consider doing that; see PyPy - Welcome to PyPy (one might think a Python interpreter in Java would be silly enough, but no: we have a Python interpreter written in...Python...) for example

There seems to be someone willing to port JavaFX applications to android: https://bitbucket.org/javafxports/android/wiki/Home

cheers

• 14. Re: I had a dream - Forms13Fx
                                    fxmatz

> forms runtime (frmweb.exe) on any JVM.

This is THE Problem, exactly it is not a portable concept!

We need Forms-PL/SQL that generates Java Code (JVM & DVM (later)) without the PVM.

But this is a strong Compiler problem .. :-))  and you are right this concept is running with Jython on JVM !

I think that these Guys have a good solution: YoForms! Quintessence Systems

Regards.

1 2 3 Previous Next