3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2014 12:38 AM by Philippe Ludwig RSS

Recommended Java SE 7 certification study material

Malevris

Hi There Pro's,

I have been programming for a few years and recently took the Java SE 7 Programmer 1 Certification exam. I failed terribly which has been nothing sort of a humbling experience.

I realized the material I was studying from was insufficient. Please can you recommend a study book that I can purchase from Amazon that will guarantee covers the full scope of the exam .

Many Thanks

Christopher Malevris

• 1. Re: Recommended Java SE 7 certification study material
          Philippe Ludwig

The most popular study guide for OCA Java 7 is:

• OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide: Prepare for the 1ZO-803 exam by Mala Gupta (Apr 8, 2013)

but on Amazon exist about 4-5 study guides for 1ZO-803. To name a few:

• OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Study Guide (Exam 1Z0-803) (Oracle Press) by Edward Finegan and Robert Liguori (Sep 18, 2012)
          • Java SE 7 Programming Essentials by Michael Ernest (Nov 13, 2012)
          • Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer Study Guide by M. Reese Richard (Aug 23, 2012)

Oracle exams never easy.. I already learned the hard way for OCA 11g and SQL Expert

• 2. Re: Recommended Java SE 7 certification study material
            Matthew Morris

...a study book that I can purchase from Amazon that will guarantee covers the full scope of the exam .

There are no guarantees.  I write study guides for Oracle exams (although no Java ones at this time).  I would never try to convince anyone that my books contained 100% coverage of the exam questions.  I always recommend to anyone to study for exams using two or more different sources. This helps in filling in coverage gaps.  Also, even where multiple sources overlap, the different perspective of the authors will often help to reinforce your understanding of the information covered.

• 3. Re: Recommended Java SE 7 certification study material
              Philippe Ludwig

Good discussion board for Java and general developer certifications: Java Forums at the Big Moose Saloon

A friendly place for programming greenhorns!