1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2014 3:32 PM by jgarry RSS

Addition to online documenation?

EdStevens

This seems to be new.  When I open a document at docs.oracle.com, in the right margin there are now a series of yellow rectangles labeled "BRADVnnnn"  Clicking one repositions the document with that line at the top.

For an example, see Performing Flashback and Database Point-in-Time Recovery

• 1. Re: Addition to online documenation?
          BluShadow

I'm not seeing those myself.

However I looked at the page source, and the BRADVnnnnn are the DIV id's of the HTML source (BRADV being the doc_id in the metadata).

Sounds like your page hasn't rendered properly in your browser.

• 2. Re: Addition to online documenation?
            EdStevens

Sounds like your page hasn't rendered properly in your browser.

Interesting,  I get it in both Firefox 28.0 and IE 9.0.8112.16421.

Of course, I am on Windows 7 Pro.  And we know that, like snowflakes, no two Windows installations are exactly alike.  Who knows what lurks in the depths of a Windows install, and the weekly bug replacements.  Now that I think about it, I believe this started occurring after applying a Windows Update in the last couple of days.

• 3. Re: Addition to online documenation?
              jgarry

I see it on XP with Firefox 28.0.  Page source shows <meta name="docid" content="BRADV" /> near the top and a div id for all those yellow tags.  Looking at other docs, they seem to be the initials of the manual with an arbitrary numeric tag - this seems like an improvement to me, I was always having to search the source for a tag to give a direct link.  Now we can just use these yellow tags, nice.

• 4. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                EdStevens

Joel,

I'll buy that.  So you think this was a conscious recent improvement?  I figured it was just another glitch.

• 5. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                  jgarry

I think someone saw the bookmark links on asktom and thought "I can do that in the documentation!"

• 6. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                    Dude!

I'm seeing this too in recent versions of Safari and Firefox. Like BluShadow already mentioned, the page source reveals:

<meta name="docid" content="BRADV" />

<div id="BRADV89737" class="sect1"><!-- infolevel="all" infotype="General" -->

If you Google for content="BRADV", well... the result is very limited. Perhaps the document was edited.

• 7. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                      jgarry

Follow Ed's link, then click on home, then poke around in the various html manuals.  It seems most of the end content has it, error manual is exception I've found so far.  sqlplus manual just has it at beginning of chapters, I think.  So I posit someone has upgraded the doc generation.

• 8. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                        Dude!

Ok, I see. I thought it was only affecting one document. Actually those yellow boxes are perhaps not a bad idea because they seem to provide more specific URL's for reference.

• 9. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                          Dude!

Btw, perhaps a good question for the Documentation forum.

• 10. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                            Marwim

jgarry wrote:

I see it on XP with Firefox 28.0.  Page source shows <meta name="docid" content="BRADV" /> near the top and a div id for all those yellow tags.  Looking at other docs, they seem to be the initials of the manual with an arbitrary numeric tag - this seems like an improvement to me, I was always having to search the source for a tag to give a direct link.  Now we can just use these yellow tags, nice.

I cannot see them with Firefox 28 (or IE) but I use a Web Developer extension that has an option to render the page new to show every available anchor, very useful for direct links.

Regards

Marcus

• 11. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                              Dude!

The yellow boxes have disappeared for me as of today too, altough the page source still shows the appropriate content previously mentioned. I'm not a web developer, but pehaps it has something to do with the CSS stylesheet whether or not these things are visible.

• 12. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                                EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

The yellow boxes have disappeared for me as of today too, altough the page source still shows the appropriate content previously mentioned. I'm not a web developer, but pehaps it has something to do with the CSS stylesheet whether or not these things are visible.

Yes, even the link I posted to start this thread no longer shows them.  Starting to look like it was a 'mistake' that has been 'rectified'.  Too bad, as Joel pointed out the usefulness of it all.

• 13. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                                  Dude!

I guess for those who wonder... You can install the Web Developer Extension in Firefox (Tools:Add-ons). Then when you select Tools:Web Developer Extensions:Information:Display Anchors you can see the links. It is not as nice as the yellow boxes though.

• 14. Re: Addition to online documenation?
                                    jgarry

Dang, I thought it was useful, I had already started using it.  Thanks for the extension tooltip guys.

1 2 Previous Next