4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 7:22 AM by name_and_address_withheld RSS

significance of dummy members

Hi Gurus, Can someone please redirect me to some blogs or explain in detail what is the main significance of having dummy members. We have members like NO_CostCenter, NO_Entity etc.. being used in BR's. Thanks, ~RN

• 1. Re: significance of dummy members
          TimG

Dummy members are used to hold data that is not broken out across the dimension in question.

Very often they are used for rates, allocation drivers etc.

For example, assume that you are doing currency conversion in your cube and therefore need to load the USD to GBP exchange rate.  That rate does not vary by Cost Center, so instead of loading it to a randomly selected to Cost Center (or all of them) you load it to "No Cost Center".  This has the benefit of being easy to remember, never breaking because a 'real' member changes, moves or disappears, and makes it clear to future code maintainers that the value does not vary across Cost Centers.

• 2. Re: significance of dummy members
            abroshan-Oracle

dense dummy member can be helpful in removing fragmentation of the cube.

• 3. Re: significance of dummy members
              AmarnathK

Just like any other application whether it is relational  multi dimensional , it happens that you might not have the data granularity for a specific dimension but still you want to load that data to essbase. In such case you use the NO_CostCenter, No_Entity.

One such example is the Exchange rates that you load to your system which cannot be loaded by CostCenter so you load it at No_CostCenter. Similarly, for other cases too

I hope this gives a clear picture. You may have to look at what data is loaded at that combination and it would give you more insight

Regards

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 4. Re: significance of dummy members
                name_and_address_withheld

user10132385 wrote:

Just like any other application whether it is relational  multi dimensional , it happens that you might not have the data granularity for a specific dimension but still you want to load that data to essbase. In such case you use the NO_CostCenter, No_Entity.

One such example is the Exchange rates that you load to your system which cannot be loaded by CostCenter so you load it at No_CostCenter. Similarly, for other cases too

I hope this gives a clear picture. You may have to look at what data is loaded at that combination and it would give you more insight

Regards

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

I was going to say more or less the same thing