3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 3:37 PM by Mimi Miami RSS

Refresh MV from Active Data Guard standby

Mimi Miami

Is it possible to refresh a materialized view (either complete or fast) from an Active Data Guard standby database open in read-only w/apply mode?  Or, can I only do the refresh from the primary?

• 1. Re: Refresh MV from Active Data Guard standby
          mseberg

Hello;

It might be possible but I doubt it would be the preferred way to do it. Since Active Data Guard is a READER database with Disaster protection I don't believe it would be possible.

I would always do this on the Primary side.

Best Regards

mseberg

• 2. Re: Refresh MV from Active Data Guard standby
            Mimi Miami

Hello mseberg,

You made a very good point on the very definition of a READER database.

After you replied, I found in MOS:  Create a Distributed Materialized View Based on a Master Table on a Read-Only Database (Doc ID 276023.1)

This explains that it is NOT possible to do a fast refresh from a RO standby database.  However, it *can* be possible to do a complete refresh from an RO standby.  This depends on the query used to define the MV.  If the RDBMS parser determines the MV is *capable* of fast refresh (even though there may not be a need for it at the present time), then you cannot do a complete refresh from the RO standby.  If the parser determines the query is NOT capable of fast refresh, then you can do a complete refresh from the RO standby.  I tested this scenario on 11.2.0.3.8 and found it to be true:

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW MIMI.MV_TEST

TABLESPACE USERS

BUILD IMMEDIATE

REFRESH COMPLETE

AS (SELECT * FROM TEST@MIMI_ROSTBY);

ORA-16000: database open for read-only access

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT_UTL", line 364

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT_UTL", line 446

ORA-06512: at line 1

Now I changed the MV query to use a "non-repeating function" (ROWNUM), which causes the query to become complex (not capable of fast refresh).  I am now able create a MV on the RO standby because the query is no longer capable of fast refresh and therefore does not require registration at the RO standby:

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW MIMI.MV_TEST

TABLESPACE USERS

BUILD IMMEDIATE

REFRESH COMPLETE

AS (SELECT * FROM TEST@MIMI_ROSTBY WHERE ROWNUM>0);

Created.

• 3. Re: Refresh MV from Active Data Guard standby
              mseberg

Thanks for posting the additional information.

mseberg