1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 1:09 PM by Nicolas.Gasparotto RSS

All posts gone

wizzle

Hi,

I've been in contact with another Oracle team and they pointed me to here. This is their reply,

---

We've got an update stating that the team needs the links/URL's of specific posts deleted. This would help them assist you further. You can raise an new request with the information mentioning the request number : AHR100296801. We'll assist you further.

We being an intermediary support, there would be delay in communicating the feedback/outcome to either parties. Seeing this issue, we believe other information might be needed with or without URL's. We suggest you to take this matter directly to the OTN community team as this would speed up the resolution as you would have the informaiton at hand and can provide it when they need. You can access the link below and post your query..

---

The problem is that all my posts are gone and I want them back. How do I proceed?

• 1. Re: All posts gone
          BluShadow

It's no good asking the public community about your posts, but you can contact the community admin team via email at...

otnfeedback_us [at] oracle . com

and raise your issue with them directly.

• 2. Re: All posts gone
            BluShadow

p.s. when you say all your posts are gone... which posts are you referring to?

I can see lots of posts via your profile...

https://community.oracle.com/people/wizzle/content#filterID=participated

• 3. Re: All posts gone
              wizzle

BluShadow wrote:

p.s. when you say all your posts are gone... which posts are you referring to?

I can see lots of posts via your profile...

https://community.oracle.com/people/wizzle/content#filterID=participated

Thank you,

That's a way to know where my posts should be. But if you have a look in the threads you see my name is missing.

• 4. Re: All posts gone
                BluShadow

Ah, I see what you mean.

That would usually indicate that your posts have been deleted, and that would most likely have been done my a moderator or member of the admin team.

I'm not familiar with the moderators over in the Java arena, but most of us moderators would only delete something if it was abusing the forum in some way, e.g. you had been continuously making posts to get people to visit your blog or website, or to download a certain product etc. or if you had been making posts that were considered offensive/rude in some way, though typically we would warn you if that were the case, and only delete if you persisted.

I have no way of seeing what posts were deleted, and I'm not sure the admin team will be able to easily track them down either.... but you can ask them.

• 5. Re: All posts gone
                  Catch-22

But all posts, isn't that odd? Did the user have a bad signature? Can all the posts of a user be deleted at once or do they have to be removed individually? If the later is true, then it rather looks like a forum software problem. Such problems can be progressive and typically affect other users as well and should be investigated.

There may be different causes, but this is not the first time information is disappearing. For instance, I'm "following" a bunch of individual posts, but since the last forum software maintenance they stopped showing up in the Content "Following" list. The problem was investigated with the help of moniquevdb-oracle, who was or still is a OTN community manager and who was kind enough to follow up and provide status updates. Unfortunately the issue could not be resolved in the end, but perhaps she will see this post and can pull the right strings for further investigation.

• 6. Re: All posts gone
                    Catch-22

Is there a possibility that your account was hijacked or your login credentials were stolen and someone went in and deleted your posts deliberately?

• 7. Re: All posts gone
                      Varun-Oracle

wizzle  Have you recently changed your email address?

• 8. Re: All posts gone
                        gimbal2

As far as I know, his posts were tanked because of very specific moderation actions.

• 9. Re: All posts gone
                          wizzle

BluShadow wrote:

Ah, I see what you mean.

I have sent an email to the address you gave me requesting that my posts be restored..

Yes my posts have been deleted by moderator action. They were neither offensive nor abusive. I've spent a lot of time and effort to make them as informative and insightful as possible.

And maybe that's the problem. The moderators have a dual role both as ordinary posters and as police of what's posted. Some moderators take the opportunity to simply remove posts expressing views in disagreement with their own. Even all posts appearantly when they get tired of a forum member who too obviously know more than themselves and doesn't back down. In short they apply censorship.

I think Oracle should take a hard look at the moderator role and start doing something about abusive behaviour among moderators. This includes the so called "regulars". It's a moderator led mob of frequent posters who impose their own set of rules obsessed with form and full of prejudices. It spreads an unfriendly atmosphere in general and discourages newbie posters in particular. It promotes an environment of mediocrity rather than excellence.

Just have a look at the Java forums! The figures speak for themselves. Java is one of, if not the most successful and widespread programming language of all times. Is that reflected at Oracle's own Java forums?  No, what should bristle with activity is down to a trickle.

The above is from my experience with the Java forums only. Unless someone can show me what rules I broke I simply want my posts back. Is that too much to ask for?

• 10. Re: All posts gone
                            wizzle

Varun-Oracle wrote:

wizzle  Have you recently changed your email address?

Sorry, I didn't use the email address that's registred with the wizzle account.

If you wan't please reply to the email address of the wizzle account.

• 11. Re: All posts gone
                              Catch-22

As far as I'm aware the forum moderators here are usually quite relaxed. If you knew that your posts were deleted by a moderator, I think it would have been your obligation to mention that fact in your initial post here. Have you been plagiarizing any information?

• 12. Re: All posts gone
                                BluShadow

Varun was asking because there's been glitches before when people have changed their email address on their account, and this creates a second account and all posts appear to have disappeared (though they're still attached to the old account).  However, that doesn't appear to be what's happened in this case from what I can see.

Certainly, no moderator should be just deleting posts because they disagree with the content; only if it's abusive or spammy, in which case the member should also be raised with admin to be dealt with.

From what's been said here, and previous inklings of what people have said, I get the feeling that there are some moderators who came to Oracle when the Java forums were brought here, and those moderators are perhaps (I don't have evidence as I don't hang around there) are being over zealous and bullyish in their moderating actions.  Certainly, if that's the case, the admin need to deal with that, as it's not acceptable.

• 13. Re: All posts gone
                                  wizzle

Dude! wrote:

If you knew that your posts were deleted by a moderator, I think it would have been your obligation to mention that fact in your initial post here. Have you been plagiarizing any information?

I've talked with what appears to be three different Oracle teams now. I though the information I've supplied was relayed so I didn't repeat everything in every contact. But I certainly haven't hidden anything on purpose. This is what I said in a previous private contact with an Oracle team,

---

Thank you for contacting us. When you say all the posts are gone, did you delete the posts or was it deleted by a moderator? Sometimes due to browser issues or network issue, the content might not load completely. Please delete the browser cookies/cache and try again. Try a different browser. This should fix the issue. If it's deleted by moderator then it could be that the post was it was off topic, or deleted because it was inappropriate/contravened house rules - by a moderator. Though the chances are slim, please give us more information like the URL's of thread missing. We can then contact the concerned team to see if they can get it retrieved. Please raise another request with the above information along with the Request number : AHR100293103 ---

All my post have been deleted by moderator action. Since moderators have a dual role both as moderators and ordinary posters this is a convenient way to get rid of members who don't conform to the views held by the moderators. A clearcut case of censorship really. There's no inappropriate content in my posts, on the contrary, they're quite informative and insightful if I may say so. I occasionally refer to the "ol' Sun times" but that's rare and hardly a crime. Please show me a post where I've broken any of the forum rules of conduct! The posts were in the New To Java and Java Programming forums.

---

As you can see (in the second paragraph) I've been pretty straightforward with who I think deleted my posts. I've also indicated I was active at the forums back in the Sun days and have made references to it in my posts a few times for nostalgic reasons.

• 14. Re: All posts gone
                                    BluShadow

Ok, well let's hope one of the Oracle admin can do something for you, though I'm not sure how easily they can restore posts, as this forum software is not the best, and deleting a post doesn't seem to just 'hide' it as you may expect (and as I see as a moderator on other forum software).  Here, once deleted, it seems to be deleted, and I'm not sure what traces of it admin will be able to get to.

You've already got Varun-Oracle looking, so maybe also moniquevdb-Oracle or Brianw-Oracle will get on the case as well.

1 2 Previous Next