1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 102 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2014 3:39 PM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 45. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
        Carlos Azevedo

Unfortunately the predominant logic of  "If something only affect others, who cares?" brings many social problems.

Regards.

• 46. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
          Dude!

At least Jive is using it's own software. Perhaps the main problem is that the majority of Jive users have no other experience than dealing with rubbish, are used to MS Windows and are not realizing when something is broken, or are simply used to low software standards. It is most likely even a combination of all.

From an immediate business perspective the few persistent users complaining about the editor apparently do not make enough noise to cause Jive to get back to the drawing board. On the long run creativity will cease and members eventually become frustrated. Loyalty has a price, and I think tech-savvy and contributing members are the most important asset of the Oracle community. I have no doubt that Oracle is aware of it, but why Oracle does not find a better solution, I have no idea. Maybe it is just as simple as hope is the last to die.

• 47. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
            Peter Schordan-Yang -Oracle

jgarry wrote:

BluShadow wrote:

Certainly, having the advanced editor options available immediately for replying would be better than having to switch to it manually, especially as most people using these forums are going to want to paste code in (what with it being a technical forum and not really a social forum), and the basic editor just doesn't allow for any suitable code formatting (unless the person is mad enough to switch to HTML mode).

It looks to me like switching into the advanced editor is actually doing some HTML pre-processing (that window that appears on the left with a bunch of HTML code, before it presents the post in the editor).  Perhaps that is the source of all the problems.

I'd like to have the advanced editor options available immediately too, just not an editor this "advanced."  (Now humming "Jocko Homo.")

Hi,

I fully agree that always this switching to advanced editor to remove the formatting I annoying.

Additional an undo function would be very helpful in case the copy result does not satisfy me and I need to do another round with copy to simple text editor needs to be done.

Regards,

Peter

• 48. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
              EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

At least Jive is using it's own software. Perhaps the main problem is that the majority of Jive users have no other experience than dealing with rubbish, are used to MS Windows and are not realizing when something is broken, or are simply used to low software standards. It is most likely even a combination of all.

Sounds like when I worked for one of the Japanese big 3 auto manufacturing companies in the US.  We had a joint agreement with one of the US Big-3 to build a particular vehicle in one of their plants.  So our dealers sold the vehicle with our badge and their dealers sold it with their badge.  Same vehicle, same assembly line, same parts, same workers ...

JD Power "customer satisfaction survey" had a higher satisfaction level with the US badged vehicle than with the Japanese badged vehicle.  Since it was a survey of 'customer satisfaction' and not actual quality issues, I always attributed that to the concept that they buyers of the US badged vehicle had, over the years of brand loyalty, come to accept/expect a lower level of quality and thus were more easily "satisfied".

• 49. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                Carlos Azevedo

I agree that the advanced editor should be displayed by default and that a "clear all formatting of the selected text" should be available ASAP.

Regards.

• 50. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                  jgarry

Conversely, Porsche had problems a few years ago because so many of their demographic were rich spoiled leasemobilers.  By recognizing the problem and dealing with the customer service perception aspect of it, their scores vastly improved.

Nowadays, one goofy tweet can do immense, um, publicity.

• 51. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                    moniquevdb-Oracle

Just stopping by with an update that we're currently testing Jive 7 against this list of bugs. The wheels turn slowly, but they do turn. I'll also ask if we can have the advanced editor open by default, or if that can be a user preference setting.

• 52. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                      Dude!

I think the post https://community.jivesoftware.com/casethread/126569 from the Jive community might be interesting regarding the default editor.

• 53. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                        Dude!

And btw, I think I already mentioned it in a previous thread, but once you click "Use advanced editor" there is no way back. Re: Unable to upload an image to OTN Community. If I remember correctly there used to be a "simple editor" option to switch back from the advanced editor to the simple editor, but maybe I'm wrong. The advanced editor could be problematic on handheld devices, such as iPad, which use the Safari web browser, so this might need to be tested prior to making it the default. Right now however, the advanced editor does not fully work in any browser or platform.

• 54. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                          Dude!

The Jive editor is apparently a very complex piece of software that does a lot of processing in the background to meet Jive content requirements. As such it is probably a miracle that it even works as it does. I doubt that it will ever be fully functional and compatible in the current configuration.

Perhaps when Jive figures out that they need to have a special app for handheld devices, the developers will realize that it might actually be a better idea to forget about using a web browser interface and rather create dedicated client software. I have not really looked into it yet, but I think there is or are at least plans for having a Jive app for iOS and Android.

All the effort and development that has gone into using a web browser as a secure, universal and reliable application frame-work was probably stupid to begin with, at least for anything overly engineered with a sophisticated interface and complex processing logic. Different web browsers are never going to be fully compatible, in particular since IE (every new version seems different) and Safari or .net and Java are competing products, both trying to gain market share and tie their customers. Since most platforms use the same (pathetic) platform architecture (x64) for desktop (and even server) systems today, it should not be such a big deal anymore.

• 55. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                            Carlos Azevedo

Hey Dude, regarding your saying: "(pathetic) platform architecture (x64) for desktop (and even server) systems today";

not that I totally/necessarily agree/disagree (I'm always revisiting my own perspective on this matter) I would be interested in knowing more about your thoughts on this matter.

Perhaps you could launch a new thread and let me know or vice-versa if you're interested.

Regards.

• 56. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                              Dude!

I’m not sure which forum would be the most suitable. My concern about the PC and Intel platform stems from history and experience with OpenVMS and Apple systems in particular. I was also a PC fan at some point in history and even worked for Microsoft for a short period of time.

I would not even know where to begin with such a vast topic. Unfortunately, most people when they speak of computers just recognize the CPU. But speaking of the x86_64 technology, well, commercial systems that successfully used 64-bit technology already existed in the mid 90’s, but Microsoft and Intel were unable to deliver acceptable solutions, so they had to invent x86_64 as an intermediate solution, which dominates the market today and I find that most pathetic.

It’s all about business, taking advantage of marketshare and people’s ignorance who pay with their money, but not necessarily to invent more advanced systems. However, there are also ways to take advantage of the situation. For instance, since many systems are x86_64 based, it has become much easier to port applications.

It is perhaps a bit unfair after I mentioned all this, but I would prefer not to continue any further with this topic in this thread, which is about the forum editor. However, I think anybody interested to discuss such topic can create a new thread and also refer to posts in this thread. Please let me know where you create your post.

• 57. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                                Carlos Azevedo

OK, here's an attempt: The x64 platform

Regards.

• 58. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                                  Dude!

Is that on MOS, because I cannot access the link, showing an unauthorized error.

• 59. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                                    BluShadow

Dude! wrote:

Is that on MOS, because I cannot access the link, showing an unauthorized error.

It is.

I clicked on the link and was taken to the cold blue depths of MOSC... brrrr... not like the fiery hot red of the public forums.