1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 1:09 PM by Nicolas.Gasparotto Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: All posts gone
        Nicolas.Gasparotto

wizzle wrote:

BluShadow wrote:

Ah, I see what you mean.

I have sent an email to the address you gave me requesting that my posts be restored..

Yes my posts have been deleted by moderator action. They were neither offensive nor abusive. I've spent a lot of time and effort to make them as informative and insightful as possible.

And maybe that's the problem. The moderators have a dual role both as ordinary posters and as police of what's posted. Some moderators take the opportunity to simply remove posts expressing views in disagreement with their own. Even all posts appearantly when they get tired of a forum member who too obviously know more than themselves and doesn't back down. In short they apply censorship.

I think Oracle should take a hard look at the moderator role and start doing something about abusive behaviour among moderators. This includes the so called "regulars". It's a moderator led mob of frequent posters who impose their own set of rules obsessed with form and full of prejudices. It creates an unfriendly atmosphere in general and discourages newbie posters in particular. It creates an environment of mediocrity rather than excellence.

Just have a look at the Java forums. The figures speak for themselves. Java is one of the most successful and widespread programming languages of all times. Is that at all reflected at Oracle's own Java forums?  No, what should bristle with activity is down to a trickle.

The above is from my experience with the Java forums only. Unless someone can show me what rules I broke I simply want my posts back. Is that too much to ask for?

I'm sorry to read what happened to you, but that's a shame to read such a post.

I'm not saying you are totally wrong but you seem to be sure of something you have no proof. Moreover, you are quite strong against mods who are doing their best. Of course, as human they can make mistake. But they are here for several years and I've never heard vandetta of any kind.

Last and not least, a simple moderator cannot delete all posts of a user at once, but one by one. It would be really tedious to do it for a dozen of yours (how many are you talking about?).

Oh, and any explanations why yours only are gone ?

Nicolas (just an other mod.)

• 16. Re: All posts gone
          Catch 22

This is a public forum. Your information exchange with Oracle is known only to Oracle. According to your last response you think that a moderator deleted your post, but you have not provided a reference or explained the reason for your suspicion and accusation.

Perhaps outlining your problem and mailing it to the address that BluShadow mentioned already in the 1st response is indeed your best course of action.

• 17. Re: All posts gone
            wizzle

Nicolas.Gasparotto wrote:

Last and not least, a simple moderator cannot delete all posts of a user at once, but one by one. It would be really tedious to do it for a dozen of yours (how many are you talking about?).

It's about 100 posts or so. BluShadow has provided a list of all affected threads where my posts are missing.

How they did it? I don't know but ask gimbal2 or EJP.

It's hard to prove that moderators are deleting your posts but gimbal2 essentially admitted to it in a post in this thread writing this,

"As far as I know, his posts were tanked because of very specific moderation actions. I'll wait for EJP to respond with the specifics before I blab something that isn't true."

I can't wait to hear what that may mean.

What I do know is that this behaviour started back in the Sun days when ordinary members who typically weren't very good at Java were promoted to moderators and started using this power position to compensate their lack of knowledge and insight by simply removing posts that proved them wrong or demonstrated their shortcomings. What surprises me is that they've been allowed to continue this bogus practice at Oracle.

Another characteristic of these moderators is the negative forum culture they represent especially toward newbies. These moderators lead a pack of "regulars" who do whatever they can to discourage newbies by being as unfriendly as possible. At least so it seems.

I can give an example from a thread where my post got censored. It's by no means the worst but it's symptomatic and encourages the "regulars" mob to follow suit. Have a look at EJPs reply here,

Why objects are said to have physical reality when they are just software programs?

Technically the reply is substandard and socially it's aggressive and condescending. Is this a proper way for a moderator to greet a newbie OP in his first thread? Low quality and unfriendly, is that the kind of forums Oracle wants?

• 18. Re: All posts gone
              gimbal2

Do note I'm not a mod, only an observer. And what I've observed is that the moderation actions taken against you were valid.

• 19. Re: All posts gone
                wizzle

gimbal2 wrote:

Do note I'm not a mod, only an observer. And what I've observed is that the moderation actions taken against you were valid.

Observer?

You mean you belong to the self-appointed forum police.

Well, deleting all posts is hardly a decision a moderator should take alone, not even when encouraged by a mob of cheering "observers". I'm sure there's protocol to follow involving the forum administrator and an investigation. It's Oracle who runs this forum, not self-righteous moderators with a tail of adulating "observers".

• 20. Re: All posts gone
                  Catch 22

wizzle wrote:

I can give an example from a thread where my post got censored. It's by no means the worst but it's symptomatic and encourages the "regulars" mob to follow suit. Have a look at EJPs reply here,

Why objects are said to have physical reality when they are just software programs?

Technically the reply is substandard and socially it's aggressive and condescending. Is this a proper way for a moderator to greet a newbie OP in his first thread? Low quality and unfriendly, is that the kind of forums Oracle wants?

There is only one reply from EJP there.

> Why objects are said to have physical reality when they are just software programs?

They aren't 'said to have physical reality' at all. Where did you get that?

Sorry, I cannot see how this reply matches your description of being socially aggressive and condescending.

You still have not provided any info why you think that your posts were deleted by a moderator. I actually do not understand the logic, because if a post violates rules it needs to be addressed when it happens and not retroactively. Can you provide some other evidence for your moderator bashing?

• 21. Re: All posts gone
                    wizzle

Dude! wrote:

Sorry, I cannot see how this reply matches your description of being socially aggressive and condescending.

You still have not provided any info why you think that your posts were deleted by a moderator. I actually do not understand the logic, because if a post violates rules it needs to be addressed when it happens and not retroactively. Can you provide some other evidence for your moderator bashing?

Unfriendliness is in the eye of the beholder and it sets the tone for the whole forum. This is what I hear,

"They aren't 'said to have physical reality' at all stupid. Where did you get that, idiot?"

But I leave it for now.

No one expects moderators to be corrupt and that's why they get away with it. Hopefully there are traces left in the forum software otherwise it's hard to prove who did it, I'm aware of that. For circumstantial evidence by someone else than me see the posts by gimbal2.

• 22. Re: All posts gone
                      SunshineFR

I don't see any problem with EJP reply either.

• 23. Re: All posts gone
                        Catch 22

I think it is never a good idea to shift a disagreement about some technical computer issue to personal areas. The only evidence in an online forum is the written word. To criticize a certain tone or lack of communication protocol, especially when there is no written evidence, probably tells more about yourself than the opponent, and last not least has a potential to harm yourself.

Something may sound friendly or unfriendly, but I suggest not to let sensing or intuition overrule any rational judgement. I think it is best not to interpret anything other than what is written and not to try reading or hearing anything between the lines.

• 24. Re: All posts gone
                          Nicolas.Gasparotto

You build yourself your reputation, and apparently it's not going for the better with the current thread, and it's going to a dead end here.

Moderators cannot investigate what you are asking for, admins only can do that and they've been already warned by one of the Blu's post earlier above.

Probably good enough to stop here, I'm gonna to lock that thread.

Nicolas (moderator).

1 2 Previous Next