7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 12:50 PM by J.A. RSS

Remove Storage Device From RAC

J.A.

Hi Experts

Please I need your help with this issue:

Oracle Rac Two Nodes 11gR2 with asmlib.

Oracle Linux Servers running under OVM  2.2

Our sysadmin its gone, he is not working here anymore and I need to remove 5 storage disk from a two Node RAC.

I´ve already done this:

1.- Drop disks from DiskGroup

2.- Delete Disks from ASMLIB on both Nodes.

Now I need to remove those 5 disks from both nodes, we are not using Multipath.

how can I accomplish this without rebooting the Rac or the Server ??

What information do you need about my configuration ??

Thank you in advance

Regards

• 1. Re: Remove Storage Device From RAC

Hi,

Are All the 5 disks detached from your ASM?

Check find the disks that you want to remove.

unmount the disks.

check the entry in /etc/fstab for that file system and remove it.

Regards,

Atif Iqbal.

• 2. Re: Remove Storage Device From RAC

Hi,

what does removing disks mean ?

If you want to remove the disk physically then are the disks hot swapable ?

if not then you will have to shutdown the server and unplug the disks.

If you want to remove the evidence of your disks at OS level then use my above post.

Regards,

Atif Iqbal

• 3. Re: Remove Storage Device From RAC
              J.A.

Hi

I used those disks in a DiskGroup inside ASM, I didn't mount or register anything on Fstab

Then I deleted those from ASM, now I need to remove those from Linux

regards

• 4. Re: Remove Storage Device From RAC

What do you mean by

I need to remove those from Linux

Do you want to delete partition e.g sdc1 or do you want to remove mountpoint e.g sdc?

You can delete partition sdc1 by using

# fdisk /dev/sdc

If you want to remove mountpoint sdc then you will have to unplug disk or if you are using storage software then you will have to eject / remove that mountpoint from linux.

• 5. Re: Remove Storage Device From RAC
                  J.A.

I need to remove those storage devices from both nodes of this RAC, then I will use those disks on another server.

Ex:

/dev/xvda

/dev/xvdb

Those disks are shared Storage between two Oracle Rac Servers.

Now those disks have partitions, because I used on ASM.

So do I need to unplug those disks from both server ? or do I need to delete the partition on each server and then unplug those disks ?

After I remove those disks I am going to use them on another Linux Server with another DB.

Thank you for your time

• 6. Re: Remove Storage Device From RAC

Hi,

Looks like you are using ASMLIB as you have created partitions so disks used for ASM are not mounted as raw partitions. If you are sure the disks are removed from ASM and you are using ASMLIB then you can unplug it directly.

But if you are using Raw Disks then

1. Check if there is any entry for that disks in file /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices

2. Check if there is any entry in /etc/rc.local file for your rawdisks.

If these entries are present then you need to remove the entries for that particular disk.

If you don't remove these entries then you might face issue while restarting the server.

So do I need to unplug those disks from both server ? or do I need to delete the partition on each server and then unplug those disks ?

It doesn't  matter whether you remove the disk or delete the partitions and then remove it.

But if you want to make this disks available for other server then you can delete the partitions and recreate it on new server. or you can remove the disks and then when added to new server you can re- partition.

• 7. Re: Remove Storage Device From RAC
                      J.A.

Hi

Thank you for your response, in fact, I´ve already done the activities yesterday.  I delete the partition for each disk, shutdown the RAC and the Servers, unplug the disks and attach those disks to other RAC and I´ve already create another Diskgroup with those Disks.

Thank you

Regards