5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 1:09 PM by Alex.Keh .Product.Manager-Oracle RSS

Installing ODP for .Net framework 3.5

77872a36-4ccd-4066-9518-8e5bc6792206

Hi,

I am new to all these ODP stuff. Can anyone please tell me how to install ODP.Net ? I am not sure of which version to download. I tried with both Release 12 and Release 10. And the installation did not work out for either of them   . For Release 12, I got an error that stated, that I need to install .Net 4.0. For Release 10, I got some java exception plus some error that asked me to install some access components . Looks like there are lot of dependencies.

Currently, I do not have any Oracle components installed on my system.

My system specs are as follows:

OS - Windows 7 x64

.NET version installed - 3.5

Can anyone point me to the exact ODP version which I should download and the steps I need to follow. Do I need to install anything else before installing ODP ?

Also, I would be deploying my .Net apps to a Windows server( Windows Server 2003 x64). So it is from this system that my apps would be talking to Oracle DB. So do I need to install ODP on this server as well ? And if yes, then could you please mention the ODP version for this one as well ?

• 1. Re: Installing ODP for .Net framework 3.5
          Alex.Keh .Product.Manager-Oracle

ODP.NET 12.1 should work fine with .NET 3.5 SP 1 or higher. Make sure to have at least the first service pack installed.

The installer may provide a warning that .NET 4 is not installed since ODP.NET will try to install ODP.NET for ADO.NET 2.0 (.NET 2.0-3.5) and ODP.NET for ADO.NET 4 (.NET 4 and higher).

If that fails, you can install ODAC 11.2 Release 5.

ODP.NET 12.1 does not support Windows Server 2003. I would then recommend using one of the 11.2 versions if you choose that OS.

ODP.NET does not need to be on the DB server machine.

• 2. Re: Installing ODP for .Net framework 3.5
            muffinman007

I wrote a guide for a fb group. this is for win64 with .net 4.5   it's a very simpler process but you just need to dl the Oracle DB version that support .net 3.5

Make sure you at least visit the site mention in step 3, if your system is 64.

How to install Oracle DB on Windows x64 so you can learn database programming using ODP.NET tools (PL/SQL programming using VS2012):

Software requirement:
            1) Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2
            http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/express-edition/downloads/index.html

1a) click on license agreement!
            1b) click Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 for Windows x32 (ignore the warning that it won't work on winx64)
            1c) create an Oracle account

2) Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio

2a) go here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html
            2b) click on license agreement
            2c) download "ODAC 11.2 Release 5 and Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio (11.2.0.3.20)"

3) follow this instructions all the way through to installed the database onto your comp:
            http://www.hanmiaojuan.com/2013/03/install-oracle-xe-11g-for-windows7-64bits.html

3a) if your system doesn't allow you to edit the url in GET_STARTED.url shortcut, just make a new url shortcut with the correct address: http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950

4) install the Oracle Developer tools

4a) extract the files you download for the Developer tools for VS
            4b) run the setup as admin
            4c) select the first option, the client option.
            4d) install it anywhere you like even in the folder you created for the Oracle server but DO NOT installed it in the "app" folder that was created for the server.
            4e) at the end of the installed it talks about something ASP.NET , we will get that done so don't worry. click finish.

5) To run the server: open cmd

• to run server type: c:\>net start OracleService<tnsnames>
              to find out what is your tnsnames, go to the directory you installed your Oracle Server.
                for me it's "Z:\OracleDB\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN\"
              OracleDB is the folder I created during the installed while all dir from app onward was created by the installation.
            • 5a) within the server\network\ADMIN folder you'll see a file called tnsnames.ora, open that file up with any notepad (recommend notepad++)
              the very first line before the "=" is your alias for your db.
              Mine looks like this:
              XE =
                (DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)
              (SERVICE_NAME = XE)

)

)

XE is my db alias.

• 5b) for me to start my Oracle Database server i type in cmd:
              c:\>net start OracleServiceXE

6) to stop the server, in cmd:
            c:\>net stop OracleServiceXE

7) now to installed the ASP.net tools
            make sure your db server is running see instruction 5.

• 7a) at cmd type:
              C:\>sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

once you type that you'll be inside your db

• 7b) next type @ , the @ symbol is to exe the sql script
            • 7c) next to the @ symbol, type out or copy and paste the location of the file "InstallAllOracleASPNETProviders.sql" that is located in the "ASP.NET\SQL\" folder within the folder where you installed the Oracle Dev tool for VS (NOT THE SERVER FOLDER)

for me it's:
            Z:\OracleDB\base\product\11.2.0\client_1\ASP.NET\SQL\

• 7d) let the db do it's thing
            • 7e) once done to disconnect from the db type quit

and there you have it!!

now for some books:
            right now i'm reading "Pro ODP .NET for Oracle Database 11g" from Apress.
            so I can learn how to program PL/SQL using VS

Once your comfortable you can look for other books that teach PL/SQL
            ex:
            "Beginning PL/SQL From Novice to Professional" from Apress.

Happy database coding for the Oracle system!

almost forgot a good FYI: how to connect from another server , read the 2nd post ( the answer to the thread question):

http://dbaforums.org/oracle/index.php?showtopic=18080

See this post for deployment:

Easy and minimum, ClickOnce Deploy ODP.NET, 11g

• 3. Re: Installing ODP for .Net framework 3.5
              muffinman007

11g Express Edition is the free Oracle DB edition.

in Step 2

follow as is

but when you start a new project make sure you reference the Oracle.DataAccess .NET 2.11 and not the .NET 4.11

• 4. Re: Installing ODP for .Net framework 3.5
                77872a36-4ccd-4066-9518-8e5bc6792206

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response

As you mentioned I went in for the second option (Install ODAC 11.2 Release 5.)

So this what I installed: 64-bit ODAC 11.2 Release 5 (11.2.0.3.20) Xcopy for Windows x64

The install went on fine. I also updated my system's path variable to use ODP. And following one of the tutorials(http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/hol08/dotnet/buildnet/buildnet_otn.htm?cid=5187&ssid=100185168788535) I tried to use it.

As mentioned in the tutorial, I selected my Data Source as Oracle Database and in the "Add Connection" dialog box, gave the hostname of my oracle connection and the username/password, but on clicking "Test Connection" I get an error "Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed."

Could you please let me know where did I go wrong ? Also, could you please let me know how can I get the SID value of my Oracle connection (since I have a long connection string that mentions nothing about SID and I do not have manual access to the DB ) ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Swati.

• 5. Re: Installing ODP for .Net framework 3.5
                  Alex.Keh .Product.Manager-Oracle

You didn't mention you are trying to create a connection with Visual Studio to Oracle. VS requires the Oracle Developer Tools for VS.

VS is a 32-bit application plus it has APIs that an ADO.NET provider must integrate with. To enable these, install the 32-bit ODAC with ODT download.

64-bit ODAC xcopy can be used *within* VS to build application, but not with the VS tool set itself.