11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2014 2:18 PM by jihuyao RSS

How i can rewrite the below query

user590978

Hi,

This is DW query and taking long time to run..Can you please help me to rewrite the query in other way to increase the performance.

{code}

SELECT /*+ parallel(AL2,4) */

AL2.DM_PRODUCT_HKEY,

AL2.DM_WEEK_END_DATE_DKEY,

NVL(AL1.DM_SEGMENTATION_DKEY,-100) AS DM_SEGMENTATION_DKEY,

NVL(AL1.DM_TRAVELER_STATUS_DKEY,-100) AS DM_TRAVELER_STATUS_DKEY,

NVL(AL1.DM_TRAV_ON_SEGM_DKEY,8) AS DM_TRAV_ON_SEGM_DKEY,

SUM ((NVL(AL1.HH_COUNT,1)/NVL(AL1.TOTAL_HH_COUNT,1))*AL2.TIMED_TOTAL_ADV_COST )  AS ADVG_COST_ACTUALS,

AL3.PRODUCT_YEAR AS YEAR

FROM ADVT_WRK_TBL AL2

INNER JOIN MKTRPT_VW AL3

ON (AL2.DM_PRODUCT_HKEY=AL3.DM_PRODUCT_HKEY)

INNER  JOIN HH_COUNT_FACT AL1

ON (AL2.DM_PROMOTIONS_DKEY=AL1.DM_PROMOTIONS_DKEY

AND AL3.PRODUCT_YEAR=AL1.YEAR )

GROUP BY

AL2.DM_PRODUCT_HKEY,

AL3.PRODUCT_YEAR,

NVL(AL1.DM_SEGMENTATION_DKEY,-100),

NVL(AL1.DM_TRAVELER_STATUS_DKEY,-100),

NVL(AL1.DM_TRAV_ON_SEGM_DKEY,8),

AL2.DM_WEEK_END_DATE_DKEY

{code}

This is view i am USING MKTRPT_VW for one of the joining above.

Thanks in advance!..

• 1. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
          jihuyao

Not sure how to rewrite this without any info on the view.  But take chance in advance and maybe a different join order, AL3 - AL2 - AL1 makes the execution plan less complicated.

• 2. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
            user590978

I tried your suggestion but it does not help.

From view i am only getting three columns. below is view query. its view because of data refresh.

{code}

SELECT PH.DM_PRODUCT_HKEY,         

PH.PRODUCT_YEAR,     

CPH.BASE_CODE_SUMMARY

FROM PRODUCT_H PH

INNER JOIN

CURT_PRO_HIE CPH

ON (    PH.HIERARCHY_LEVEL = CPH.HIERARCHY_LEVEL

AND PH.HIERARCHY_LEVEL_ITEM = CPH.HIERARCHY_LEVEL_ITEM);

{code}

Please suggest.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
              SGUN

Check if you have indexes on the columns? It would be useful if you provide some sample data.

How big is your each table? How many rows are you hitting by joining?

• 4. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
                user590978

Below is the explain plan for view query..:

{code}

Plan

SELECT STATEMENT  ALL_ROWSCost: 396  Bytes: 1,060,226  Cardinality: 22,558 

23 PX COORDINATOR 

22 PX SEND QC (RANDOM) PARALLEL_TO_SERIAL SYS.:TQ10004 :Q1004Cost: 396  Bytes: 1,060,226  Cardinality: 22,558 

21 HASH JOIN BUFFERED PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT :Q1004Cost: 396  Bytes: 1,060,226  Cardinality: 22,558 

8 BUFFER SORT PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_CHILD :Q1004

7 PX RECEIVE PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT :Q1004Cost: 50  Bytes: 90,048  Cardinality: 4,288 

6 PX SEND HASH PARALLEL_FROM_SERIAL SYS.:TQ10000 Cost: 50  Bytes: 90,048  Cardinality: 4,288 

5 VIEW VIEW DM.index$_join$_002 Cost: 50  Bytes: 90,048  Cardinality: 4,288 

4 HASH JOIN 

1 INDEX FAST FULL SCAN INDEX (UNIQUE) DM.DM_CURRENT_PRODUCT_HIERARCHYPK Cost: 18  Bytes: 90,048  Cardinality: 4,288 

3 BITMAP CONVERSION TO ROWIDS  Cost: 34  Bytes: 90,048  Cardinality: 4,288 

2 BITMAP INDEX FULL SCAN INDEX (BITMAP) DM.IDX_NK_CURR_PROD_HIERARCHY

20 PX RECEIVE PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT :Q1004Cost: 344  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

19 PX SEND HASH PARALLEL_TO_PARALLEL SYS.:TQ10003 :Q1003Cost: 344  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

18 VIEW VIEW PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT DM.index$_join$_001 :Q1003Cost: 344  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

17 HASH JOIN BUFFERED PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT :Q1003

12 PX RECEIVE PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT :Q1003Cost: 138  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

11 PX SEND HASH PARALLEL_TO_PARALLEL SYS.:TQ10001 :Q1001Cost: 138  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

10 PX BLOCK ITERATOR PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_CHILD :Q1001Cost: 138  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

9 INDEX FAST FULL SCAN INDEX (UNIQUE) PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT DM.DM_PRODUCT_HIERARCHY_PK :Q1001Cost: 138  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

16 PX RECEIVE PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT :Q1003Cost: 286  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

15 PX SEND HASH PARALLEL_TO_PARALLEL SYS.:TQ10002 :Q1002Cost: 286  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

14 PX BLOCK ITERATOR PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_CHILD :Q1002Cost: 286  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

13 INDEX FAST FULL SCAN INDEX PARALLEL_COMBINED_WITH_PARENT DM.DM_PRODUCT_HIERARCHY_LPK :Q1002Cost: 286  Bytes: 1,325,480  Cardinality: 50,980 

{code}

• 5. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
                  user590978

Below are the no of rows for each table..

MKTRPT_VW       -- 50980

HH_COUNT_FACT -- 14971116

ADVT_WRK_TBL   --841554

Also, for view (MKTRPT_VW  ) i need to do left outer join insted of inner join..

Please help

thanks in advance.

• 6. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
                    jihuyao

It is better to take another step back and check what is the none-parallel plan for joining the three tables only (PRODUCT_H, ADVT_WRK_TBL, HH_COUNT_FACT).

Since the result is group by AL2.DM_PRODUCT_HKEY, AL3.PRODUCT_YEAR it naturally makes sense to initiate the parallel process on PRODUCT_H table particularly partitioned on DM_PRODUCT_HKEY and sub-partitioned on PRODUCT_YEAR so each slave process can easily return its own grouping result.  Though other business process may prevent from doing such design.

What else?  Perhaps ensure enough memory for possible hash join in each slave process and analyze sql trace for major wait events.  

• 7. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
                      user590978

If we don't use parallel then cost is more and execution plan is more complex to read the data.

I am trying to use the view query itself in the query and trying to make it fast.

Is there any other way you can help me.

Thanks in advance!

• 8. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
                        jihuyao

Based on the plan provided the parallel process is doing extraordinary and (probably) extra things.  But each slave process has to do basic sql joins which looks getting lost (and/or beyond ability to read).  So a none-parallel plan at least shows how optimizer determines the join order and the join method, which may be also true to each slave process in parallel process or provide good reference.

If insist to initiate the parallel process on ADVT_WRK_TBL(AL2), you can try to partition the table on column AL2.DM_PRODUCT_HKEY and see how the plan responds.

Consider all the table volumes, the none-parallel process should not be very bad unless the cardinality is extraordinary or some resource contention exists.  But it is all up to your expectation and requirement. 

• 9. Re: How i can rewrite the below query

Dont do Group by in one go ...First perform the join operations and then group by the result

e.g.

Select column1 ,

Column2,

SUM( Column3)

From (select column1, Column2, ..... From tabl1 inner join table2 on ()........)

group by  Column 1,Column2

• 10. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
                            user590978

Thank you so much to all who replied and looked at my question....

I tried query as you mentioned (9876564) but it took 12 mins to complete.

Looks like its taking time for me every time to load data.

Please advice how can we move different approach to make it fast...

Thanks in advance!

• 11. Re: How i can rewrite the below query
                              jihuyao

The query only has simple joins and little filter so rewrite does not help much.  To check the impact of data volume on performance, run a small sampling query and see how fast it goes.  Something like,

with AL3 as (

select * from AL3 where rownum<=1000

)

select ...... (original query here without parallel hint)