5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 3:38 AM by FreddieEssex RSS

How to change DG to Active DG?

Hi all,

I read a doc that to change your physical standby to ACTIVE PHYSICAL STANDBY, you just have to open it read only and then start the managed recovery.

Just as simple as that? and then you need to pay for it? Sounds fishy to me.

Thanks,

pK

• 1. Re: How to change DG to Active DG?
          Renu-Oracle

Hi,

To enable Active Data Guard, you need to open the physical standby in read-only mode and start redo apply. The Data Guard should be in one of two states prior to enabling Active Data Guard

• The standby is mounted and redo is running
          • The standby database has been shutdown cleanly and redo was stopped

To enable Active data guard you can either use SQL Plus or the Broker

Enable Active Data Guard using SQL Plus## First stop the redo and open the database as read-only
          sql> recover managed standby database cancel;
          sql> alter database open read only;

## Restart the redo
          sql> recover managed standby database disconnect using current logfile;
          Enable Active Data Guard using the Broker## First stop the redo
          DGMGRL> edit database prod1dr set state='apply=off';

## Open the database as read-only
          sql> alter database open read only;

## Restart the redo
          DGMGRL> edit database prod1dr set state='apply=on';

Make sure you have standby redo logs added at standby.

Separate license require for Active dataguard.

Thanks,

Renu

• 2. Re: How to change DG to Active DG?

Thanks dear,

Yeah they are just the same thing and no MAJOR change at all, I can not understand why licensed separately?

• 3. Re: How to change DG to Active DG?
              FreddieEssex

Errr....they are not quite the same thing.

Without active dataguard you can either have the database open in read only mode OR have it in managed recovery mode.  So if I open a database in read only mode and then need to update it to apply the latest logs you have to open it in managed recovery mode, apply the logs and then open it in read only mode again to query the database.

With Active dataguard, the logs are applied whilst the database is open in read only mode and therefore the database is up to date.

• 4. Re: How to change DG to Active DG?

Yeah i understand that, but both are just the same thing built in the database and are almost equal. I just can not understand why the other has different license price?

• 5. Re: How to change DG to Active DG?
                  FreddieEssex

Well if you really do understand that, then that explains the difference in license price.

There is a price to be paid to have your database open in readonly mode and apply logs at the same time.  If you don't need this feature, then don't use it, and then you don't have to pay for it.

A wise chinese man once said ..."Almost equal is not the same as equal....if it was then it would be equal and not almost equal." !!