8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2014 10:32 AM by Antonyro-Oracle RSS

Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows

09df480b-e0b9-440e-a276-ea0f8f7885b4

First off, I absolutely know nothing about Oracle products.  I am packaging Oracle Client 10g for a customer.  Instead of running setup and then running setup again for the 12.2.0.5 patch I was reading up on cloning the installation.  Can cloning be performed on Client 10g for Windows installations?  According to Oracle article I need to execute some Perl scripts; but these scripts are  non existing within the Oracle home.  The most current document, 1154613.1, I am unable to open.

Can cloning be done on a 10g Client install?

• 1. Re: Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows
          EdStevens

09df480b-e0b9-440e-a276-ea0f8f7885b4 wrote:

First off, I absolutely know nothing about Oracle products.  I am packaging Oracle Client 10g for a customer.  Instead of running setup and then running setup again for the 12.2.0.5 patch I was reading up on cloning the installation.  Can cloning be performed on Client 10g for Windows installations?  According to Oracle article I need to execute some Perl scripts; but these scripts are  non existing within the Oracle home.  The most current document, 1154613.1, I am unable to open.

Can cloning be done on a 10g Client install?

Why would you want to start with a 10g install, then patch up to 12.2?  Why not just install the 12.2 client?

Why are you unable to open the referenced document?

All of the installations can be scripted to use a 'silent install'.

Ultimately, the client (or any) installation on Windows is just a couple of directory structures and a registry entry.  When I first started working with oracle we 'installed' the client to user desktops by simply blowing in the required directories and registry entry, based on a 'golden disk'.  This was configured to occur as part of their network logon sequence.

I'm not suggestion you configure it as a network login, or any other kind of network push.  I mention it just to point out that you could take the same basic approach.

That said, I'd figure out why I couldn't ready a necessary MOS document, and proceed with the official oracle_home cloning procedure.

And figure out why I'd want to do a green installation by installing one version then patching across 2 major upgrades.

• 2. Re: Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows
            606a075d-c07b-414a-9901-55932c687691

Patch up to 10.2.0.5

Can Oracle Client 10g  10.2.0.5 for Windows be cloned?  Our 10g installation does not have prepare_clone.pl.  Do we simply install, apply patch, and then just simply push the folder structure to the users?

• 3. Re: Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows
              EdStevens

606a075d-c07b-414a-9901-55932c687691 wrote:

Patch up to 10.2.0.5

Can Oracle Client 10g  10.2.0.5 for Windows be cloned?  Our 10g installation does not have prepare_clone.pl.  Do we simply install, apply patch, and then just simply push the folder structure to the users?

There are actually TWO folders, plus registry keys.

You still haven't answered any of my questions, designed to elicit the information for a more informed and better quality suggestion.

• 4. Re: Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows

Why would you want to start with a 10g install, then patch up to 12.2?  Why not just install the 12.2 client?

- We are going to 10.2.0.5

- What document?

- Yes, true

Ultimately, the client (or any) installation on Windows is just a couple of directory structures and a registry entry.  When I first started working with oracle we 'installed' the client to user desktops by simply blowing in the required directories and registry entry, based on a 'golden disk'.  This was configured to occur as part of their network logon sequence.

- makes sense, are there any user/computer specific files, registry, or .ini files that need to be modified?

I'm not suggestion you configure it as a network login, or any other kind of network push.  I mention it just to point out that you could take the same basic approach.

That said, I'd figure out why I couldn't ready a necessary MOS document, and proceed with the official oracle_home cloning procedure.

And figure out why I'd want to do a green installation by installing one version then patching across 2 major upgrades.

- not jumping two version, going to 10.2.0.5.  Do not know what a MOS document is.  the required prepare_clone.pl does not exist which is needed per Oracle Software Cloning Using Oracle Universal Installer. Is there an Oracle document for cloning Oracle Client on Windows?

• 5. Re: Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows
                  EdStevens

606a075d-c07b-414a-9901-55932c687691 wrote:

- We are going to 10.2.0.5

Then why your opening comment:

"Instead of running setup and then running setup again for the 12.2.0.5 patch"

Was the 12 just a typo?  If so, I would have hoped that in light of intervening comments you would have caught that and mentioned it.

- What document?

The one you said you couldn't open:

"The most current document, 1154613.1, I am unable to open."

- Yes, true

So why not follow that approach

- makes sense, are there any user/computer specific files, registry, or .ini files that need to be modified?

Well of course there are specific files and registry entries.  You could discover them by doing a clean install on a clean system, then looking for any files/directories/registry keys with "ora" in the names.  In the registry, look for HKLM\software\oracle.  Also poke around in HKLM\software\odbc if you are dealing with oracle odbc drivers.  There would be two distinct directory structures on your installation drive and/or the C: drive.  Hints will be found in the registry.  I leave the research as a learning exercise for the student.

I re-emphasize the above.

- not jumping two version, going to 10.2.0.5.

So the reference to 12.2 was a typo?

Do not know what a MOS document is. 

MOS = My Oracle Support.  You need an Oracle support contract to access.  If you are a working professional and not just a student, you should have a support contract through your employer client.

the required prepare_clone.pl does not exist which is needed perOracle Software Cloning Using Oracle Universal Installer. Is there an Oracle document for cloning Oracle Client on Windows?

doesn't exist?  Are you sure?  Show me the output of a 'dir' command that proves it does not exist.

• 6. Re: Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows

nevermind, do not have time to banter.  Just wanted to know if it is possible or not

• 7. Re: Cloning of Oracle Client 10g on Windows
                      rp0428
                      nevermind, do not have time to banter.  Just wanted to know if it is possible or not

No - the 'clone' scripts are part of the database installation, not the client installation.