13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2014 9:24 AM by petra-K RSS

tired of deleting

Hi all,

I am tired of deleting *.trc *.trm on our trace dump files.

How do I turn off tracing? I just want to turn it on - on demand.

Thanks,

pK

• 1. Re: tired of deleting
          sybrand_b

The existence of these trace files means that something is WRONG.

It needs to be investigated by YOU.

And adrci (which can read about in the ONLINE DOCUMENTATION) is capable of cleaning them up.

Also, please note this forum is getting TIRED OF YOU.

-------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 2. Re: tired of deleting
            onkar.nath

Petra,

As Sybrand said, such trace files should be deleted automatically by adrci command but if they are not then you can write your own shell script to delete files older than say 10 days and schedule that or you can simply move them to other locations.

But I personally would not delete such files unless they are years older because such files contains the actual problem your database has been going or has gone through and these are the ONLY files which can help you debug.

Moving to some other location would be more appropriate solution.

Onkar

• 3. Re: tired of deleting
              Top.Gun

ADRCI: ADR Command Interpreter

• 4. Re: tired of deleting

***But I personally would not delete such files unless they are years older because such files contains the actual problem your database has been going or has gone through and these are the ONLY files which can help you debug.

Just a tip. You need to check the alert log first and if there is ORA-  then thats the time to check the trace files. For the meantime you can delete them. I did this eversince and our database did not break or did I ever wish to undo some deletion for some error check because they can be recreated over and over to replicate the issue

• 5. Re: tired of deleting
                  John Stegeman

Just because *you* didn't ever wish to undo a deletion (you don't even know what to do with a trace file, given your recent postings here, so you that's no surprise), doesn't mean that it's good advice for others.

• 6. Re: tired of deleting

You mean  there are critical info written in trace files which are not tracked in the alert.log?

• 7. Re: tired of deleting
                      John Stegeman

Well, the documentation would tell you the answer to that.

• 8. Re: tired of deleting

Do you really read all those trace files everyday? How come your time is not used up

Why not oracle just email and display the important line on OEM?

• 9. Re: tired of deleting
                          onkar.nath

Petra,

I believe you are talking about two separate things together.

first one is about trace file. I believe that trace files contains information which are not in alert log for ex: alert log may say that there is ORA-xxxxx error for which please refer xyz trace files. Also there is times (at least I have witnessed) where in old trace files contains information which was useful for debugging like there was some internal error for which I had to share 6 months old trace files with Oracle to get a solution. It may not be the case everytime but we keep at least a year trace file at any point of time.

Second thing is alert log. We do recycle our alert log from time to time but that time is once in a year and not before that. Even then we keep old alert log for 6 months and then remove it.

The point is not the solution (well not the only solution) but targeting the root cause is the solution.

Coming to your original posting, how will you determine that some of your background process would run in rough patch at so and so time so I should enable tracing and that is the reason Oracle does not allow you to turn off tracing for background processes because it needs to relate things back when something happens.

Onkar

• 10. Re: tired of deleting
                            Gamblesk

We hit a problem about a month ago due to a bad configuration on an application that was running one of our production databases out of sessions (we were going to hit the session parameter).  As we were killing the sessions we thought we never reached the limit though we got really close. Checked the alert log and there were no errors.

However we found out a little later we actually did hit the limit and it was only recorded in a trace file.

So yes it can happen.

• 11. Re: tired of deleting

Maybe it a bug dear   I always see process limit reached in our alert log .

• 12. Re: tired of deleting
                                Suntrupth

Background process trace files usually have some valuable information, we usually delete trace files older than 2 months or back them up and ship them to a different location

Setup a batch job which does this. 

Regards,

Suntrupth

• 13. Re: tired of deleting

I thank you all

Going home time....night night...babushh