1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 2:26 AM by petra-K

APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Description PSU SPU(CPU) GI PSU Bundle Patch (Windows64bit) Bundle Patch (Windows32bit)
      APR2014 18031683 (11.2.0.3.10) 18139695 18139678 (11.2.0.3.10) 18372244 18372243

Hi all,

I am task by the IT auditor to apply the quarterly patch to comply with the PCIDSS certification.

Which of the above is the most important and critical patch or the one required?

Thanks all,

pK

• 1. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch
          John Stegeman

IIRC you asked the same thing 3 months ago. Why should we repeat ourselves if you cannot be bothered to remember search for past information.

Why do you ask us to read the documentation and explain it to you?

You obviously have access to Support, so you obviously have access to the same set of information we do about those patches and what they are.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Thanks john,

I am still not satisfied with the previous answers

I am applying PSU only as I  do not understand the other patches and what do they bring into. Will PSU  be good enough for our database?

Thanks,

• 3. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch
              John Stegeman

I dunno.

• 4. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Hi Jhon and ALL,

I am reading the README of PSU 11.2.0.3.10

Oracle® Database

Patch 18031683 - 11.2.0.3.10 Patch Set Update

It did not mention to shutdown the listener, emctl dbconsole, & database when applying the patch

Is it always assumed?

Thanks

• 5. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch
                  user11983135

Really. The README doesn't say anything about shutting down databases or listeners?

You really do need to stop pretending to be a DBA, as you cannot even read a README.

• 6. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Opps sorry dear my mistake ....its behind the word RAC . I often skip this word as I am allergic to it

• 7. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch
                      onkar.nath

Petra,

if you apply PSU just because you don't understand others then I would suggest you to read the email sent during patch release very carefully. It is very..very dangerous symptoms. Other thing is when you apply patch , you should make sure that all services/application running out of this ORACLE_HOME (which you wanted to patch) are stopped. Please read README very carefully. README contains all the information you need to apply the patch.

Onkar

• 8. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch
                        John Stegeman

That's the biggest load of baloney I've ever heard.

There is no reference to RAC anywhere near the section that deals with the requirements to shut down or not shut down the instance.

You skipped reading because you are lazy, nothing else.

• 9. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Here:

3.2 Patch Installation Instructions

Follow these steps:

1. If you are using a Data Guard Physical Standby database, you must install this patch on both the primary database and the physical standby database, as described by My Oracle Support Document 278641.1.
                          2. If this is a RAC environment, install the PSU patch using the OPatch rolling (no downtime) installation method as the PSU patch is rolling RAC installable. Refer to My Oracle Support Document 244241.1Rolling Patch - OPatch Support for RAC.
                          3. If this is not a RAC environment, shut down all instances and listeners associated with the Oracle home that you are updating. For more information, see Oracle Database Administrator's Guide.

I thought this part is for those database with DG and RAC.

Since im not using DG and RAC for the target Database I thought this is not for me so I skip it.

Thanks

• 10. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Hi Onkar,

Thanks for the nice and kind response

if you apply PSU just because you don't understand others then I would suggest you to read the email sent during patch release very carefully. It is very..very dangerous symptoms.

Actually, I am applying it because I deemed it to be the most important among the others? I want only to apply the minimum possible patch for lesser danger and breakage.

Thanks

• 11. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch
                              onkar.nath

Petra,

If you read the patch document then there is no danger unless you skip something or some steps. I personally would not consider any patch is most or least important unless Oracle say so. But most the time PSUs contains CPUs and other patches in which case, PSU would work but I still insist you to read the document before actually applying the patch.

Onkar

• 12. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Hi onkar and all,

After applying PSU  patch and run :

cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin

sqlplus /nolog

SQL> CONNECT / AS SYSDBA

SQL> STARTUP

SQL> @catbundle.sql psu apply

But I got error >>>>>

==============

SQL>

SQL> execute dbms_java.loadjava('-synonym -resolve -schema ORDSYS ord/jlib/jai_core.jar ord/jlib/mlibwrapper_jai.jar ord/jlib/jai_codec.jar ord/jlib/ordimimg.jar');

BEGIN dbms_java.loadjava('-synonym -resolve -schema ORDSYS ord/jlib/jai_core.jar ord/jlib/mlibwrapper_jai.jar ord/jlib/jai_codec.jar ord/jlib/ordimimg.jar'); END;

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1

ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 8080 bytes (joxcx

callheap,f:CDUnscanned)

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_JAVA", line 655

ORA-06512: at line 1

===============

How come I got lots of memory error on this server? It is a limitation of the hardware?

Can I  rerun canbundle?

Thanks,

• 13. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch
                                  user11983135

It's not a limitation of the hardware, it's PEBKAC.

The document that you're ostensibly reading has a link to where you can find out more about CATBUNDLE

And if you have issues with applying something you download from support, then the best place to get support would be, well, support.

• 14. Re: APRIL 2014 Quarterly Patch

Ok dear , you are right sure

1 2 Previous Next