6 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 3:36 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle

Latest Toad vs. SQL Developer 4.0.1

Syswizard

I know this was brought up a few years ago.....but with the big new release of SQL Dev and some new versions of TOAD,

I thought I get some opinions as to functionality, quirkiness, etc. on each of these tools.

• 1. Re: Latest Toad vs. SQL Developer 4.0.1
          Marwim

Hard to add something since I no longer use Toad. IMHO you should go the other way: what do you need and which tool can satisfy it?

Regards

Marcus

• 2. Re: Latest Toad vs. SQL Developer 4.0.1
            MichaelGS

I came to SQL Dev from Quest SQL Developer which is similar to TOAD.  It's not an easy transition as you're going from a native application to a Java application and the user interface feels strange: e.g. context menus don't always have the commands you expect, file selector is non-standard, printing is not great.

In terms of functionality/usability it's improved with v4.  The thing that probably causes the most trouble/irritation for me and my colleagues is the way database connections are created/shared/duplicated:

- the object tree navigator shares uses the "master" connection for a database instance - so queries in the first worksheet can block or be blocked by object tree operations

- you can create duplicate connections, but they behave differently to the master connection - you can't reconnect when they are dropped

- it uses JDBC connections by default - not as reliable as Oracle "thick client" (which is not straightforward to configure)

- no easy way to manage open connections or see which connections have dropped

• 3. Re: Latest Toad vs. SQL Developer 4.0.1
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

>>the object tree navigator shares uses the "master" connection for a database instance - so queries in the first worksheet can block or be blocked by object tree operations

You have the option to run worksheets on an unshared connection by default - this will address your irritation

Tools > Preferences > Database > Worksheet > New Worksheet to use unshared connection

With this checked, you'll have more connections going to your database, so use at your discretion.

• 4. Re: Latest Toad vs. SQL Developer 4.0.1
                Syswizard

I've been using SQL Developer and so far it's worked out pretty well.

I like the integration with the Data Model and Data Miner.

The only thing that's a bit strange is the help system....I can never find exactly what I'm looking for.

It seems like they have 4 different Help subjects bundled together....and when you search, you end up going thru a million+ words.

Instead, I use the PDF versions of the docs.

• 5. Re: Latest Toad vs. SQL Developer 4.0.1
                  makel

I think the first worksheet still uses the same session as the navigator, so I'd need to open a new worksheet to get what I want?

Jeff Smith SQLDev PM wrote:

You have the option to run worksheets on an unshared connection by default - this will address your irritation

• 6. Re: Latest Toad vs. SQL Developer 4.0.1
                    Gary Graham-Oracle

The two preferences in Database >  Worksheet that control this behavior are:

1. Open a Worksheet on connect

2. New Worksheet to use unshared connection

So if Open a Worksheet on connect is enabled (the default setting), then that first worksheet shares the Connections navigator view connection.  Disabling it will make any New Worksheet connections unshared.

Regards,

Gary

SQL Developer Team