8 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2014 6:05 PM by FreddieEssex RSS

Oracle Database upgrade

user9085814

Hi,

I have a scenario on oracle upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 , please let me know how should I proceed.

Scenario

-------------

I have two oracle homes installed in a system those are 10201[ for 10.2.0.1 ] and other one is 10202 [ for 10.2.0.2 ].

Now I want to upgrade a database which in 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 .

In this case will I need to apply patch set on 10.2.0.1 and then go for database upgrade using catupgrd.sql

OR

I just need to change the ORACLE_HOME in the env variable so that the database in 10.2.0.1 will point to 10.2.0.2 HOME and then i can start the

upgrade using  catupgrd.sql.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
          Kavita-Oracle

Hi,

You can go through with Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 10gR2 (Doc ID 316889.1).

It covers all the steps in detail.

Thanks,

Kavita

• 2. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
            FreddieEssex

You can do either.

The obvious advatage of using the existing 10.2 home is that :

1) You don't need to waste time upgrading10.1 to 10.2 when the 10.2 already exists

2) if you need to rollback the 10.1 home will already be there otherwise you will have to create backup for this.

• 3. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
              Paul M.

I have two oracle homes installed in a system those are 10201[ for 10.2.0.1 ] and other one is 10202 [ for 10.2.0.2 ].

Now I want to upgrade a database which in 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 .

In this case will I need to apply patch set on 10.2.0.1 and then go for database upgrade using catupgrd.sql

OR

I just need to change the ORACLE_HOME in the env variable so that the database in 10.2.0.1 will point to 10.2.0.2 HOME and then i can start the

upgrade using  catupgrd.sql.

If you already have both installed, why should you patch the first one ? Your best solution is your latter. Shut down (normal or immediate) your DB in 10.2.0.1 and start it in 10.2.0.2 with upgrade option.

• 4. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
                spiderwoman

Do you mean that you created directory for 10.2.0.2 or do you mean to say you installed software?

Refer to doc ID Doc ID 730365.1

For upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2, if you are doing interactive upgrade you will get following:

If you attempt to install this patch set in an Oracle home directory that does not contain an Oracle Database 10g release 10.2.0.1 installation, Oracle Universal Installer displays a warning dialog with the following error:      

OUI-10091: There are no patches that need to be applied from the patchset Oracle Database 10g Release 2 Patch Set 1
                • 5. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
                  Ashishk-Oracle

It depends on your requirement. Like others have pointed out, you may choose either of the upgrade paths. Why was 10.2.0.2 home created separately? Is it housing another DB already? Is it for some business requirement. Depending on the answer, you may choose any of 2 paths.

Thanks,

Ashish

• 6. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
                    user9085814

Hi ,

Thanks For Your reply.....

The 10.2.0.2 home created separately because this home is hosting other Databases.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
                      tvCa-Oracle

"if you need to rollback the 10.1 home will already be there otherwise you will have to create backup for this."

Hmm no, because you should have a backup anyway

• 8. Re: Oracle Database upgrade
                        FreddieEssex

Hmmm...how so?  If you upgrade an existing 10.2.0.1 home to 10.2.0.2, how "would/should you have a backup anyway" if you don't back it up prior to the upgrade?