4 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2014 11:14 PM by User369092 RSS

OSB write windows & keep volume set(Retention duration)

User369092

Hello, all

When I make a Media Family on secure backup, can configure time managed keep volume set and write windows.

As I know other vendor's backup software also has retension configurations.

ex) Symantec Veritas case

If I make a policy with 1 weeks retenstion, same policy's backup image can be writable to media and appendable.

And, If one media has a full capcity, backup software looking for other media.

Retention Poliy check the media backup image and decide expired(recycle) date according to last backup image.

2014/04/01  Full Backup(retention 1weeks) using new media(TEST01)     

2014/04/02  Full Backup(retention 1weeks) using existing media(TEST01) append  

2014/04/03  Full Backup(retention 1weeks) using existing media(TEST01) append and media Full.

The Expried date for TES01 media is 2014/04/10 because of last backup image.

ex) Secure Backup case

If I make a media family with 7days write windows and 10days time managed keep volume set,

2014/04/01  Full Backup using new media failmily(TEST01)     

2014/04/02  Full Backup using existing media(TEST01) append   

2014/04/03  Full Backup using existing media(TEST01) append and media Full.

when can I use this media again and when is the exactly media expired date?

I want to know write windows(is it meaning of not appendable?) and keep volume set(is it real retenstion?) meaning..

Thank you advanced.

• 1. Re: OSB write windows & keep volume set(Retention duration)
          rdoogan

Hi there.

A write window is the amount of time the tape can be appended to, assuming it isn't full. So let's assume you have a write window of 7 days. The backups will write to that tape for 7 days, or until the tape is full. After 7 days the write window will close, so no more backups will write to that tape until it expires.

It is at that time that the retention (keep) period starts. So if the keep retention is set to 10 days, the tape will not expire for a futher 10 days. So in total your tape will be active for 17 days.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

• 2. Re: OSB write windows & keep volume set(Retention duration)
            User369092

Thank you for response.

Q1. And then, If I make a write windows to 7 days but tape is full while 2days, what happened?

The retestion(keep) period started inspite of 5days remains? or started after 5 days later?

Q2. I'm confused regarding write windows. If I want keep backup image 14 days, How to decide write windows period?

I didn't know size of backup exactly and Just want to keep image during 14 days after last backup image on media.(to recycle media after 14days)

If I have a daily full backup schedule and want to use full area of tape media, I don't know how many daily backup(image) can write to that media,

Just want to use tape to end of tape(Full) and start to retention(keep) period from that time.

Please advice how to make this?

Is it good choice to make a policy as 13days write windows and 1 days keep time?

I sorry to bothering you.

Thank you very much.

• 3. Re: OSB write windows & keep volume set(Retention duration)
              rdoogan

The retention period starts as soon as the write window closes, it doesn't matter if the tape becomes full, the write window remains the same so the tape will close on that date. You can do an "obtool lsvol -l" on a tape and see when it will close and when it will expire :

obtool lsvol -l -b ADC00003

Volume OID:         29091

Volume ID:          FullBackups-002467

Barcode:            ADC00003

Volume sequence:    2

Media family:       FullBackups

Created:            2014/02/18.04:01

Closes:             2014/03/18.04:01 (closed)

Expires:            2014/06/18.04:01

Space remaining:    none

Original OID:       29091

If you want a backup to be kept for exactly 14 days then your write window+retention needs to equal 14, so it could be 7+7. 13+1 is also fine, assuming you are not looking to send the tapes out of the library, and that will also ensure your tapes are used to their capacity.

Thanks

Rich

• 4. Re: OSB write windows & keep volume set(Retention duration)
                User369092

Thank you so much Rich.