3 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2014 5:40 PM by MikeN RSS

Replicat and target DB on different machines

Panwar Vikas

Hi,

We have one requirement where we have to configure GG such that replicat will be residing on machine different from target DB machine.

Could anyone please suggest what parameters specifically in which process we need to use.

DBs are Oracle DBs.

I know this is not recommended but nothing could be done as this the requirement.

Please help,

Vikas

• 1. Re: Replicat and target DB on different machines
          Frak!!!

Hi,

try use the following parameters, I hope it works:

SETENV (ORACLE_HOME="/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1")

USERID ggs_owner@ora11g2, PASSWORD ggs_owner

• 2. Re: Replicat and target DB on different machines
            J.A.

If your are the DBA in charge, try to explain to users/customers, why this is a bizarre requirement and what is the best practice.

Regards

• 3. Re: Replicat and target DB on different machines
              MikeN

Panwar Vikas wrote:

Hi,

We have one requirement where we have to configure GG such that replicat will be residing on machine different from target DB machine.

Could anyone please suggest what parameters specifically in which process we need to use.

DBs are Oracle DBs.

I know this is not recommended but nothing could be done as this the requirement.

Please help,

Vikas

While "extract" usually has to be residing on the same host as the database (or else you have to do a lot of configuration to allow it to run on a separate host), "replicat" has no such restriction. You can easily run "replicat" on a separate host from the target DB host. Whereas "extract" needs access to the database's file system (i.e., redo logs), "replicat" is a normal SQL client, and can connect to and update the target database remotely, as can any SQL client. Just "do the needful", such as having your listeners running, and install your Oracle client on the remote host, test that you can connect remotely, etc., set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH, ORACLE_HOME, NLS* env vars, etc., etc., etc.