3 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2014 7:35 AM by Francisco Amores RSS

Classic FDM  and FDMEE Migration

SSN01

All,

We are planning  to migrate Classic FDM to FDMEE, So I have few questions, can you people give some suggestions/feedback?

1) Will the performance would be improved if we move from Classic FDM to FDMEE with same set of data's & Configuration?

2) We are using some Scripting & API's in classic FDM, would all those functionality supported in FDMEE?

3) is any other Risk / impact involved if we migrate to FDMEE? 

Thanks

SS

• 1. Re: Classic FDM  and FDMEE Migration
          Francisco Amores

Hi, here you have my inputs.

1) Will the performance would be improved if we move from Classic FDM to FDMEE with same set of data's & Configuration?

Technically you will, just with FDMEE on Middleware, using ODI... you will get a better performance.

But you need to take into consideration that if you have a poor design in FDM, and you don't review it, then you will have a poor design in FDMEE.

Migration from FDM to FDMEE is a very good opportunity to review your Classic FDM design as FDMEE adds new functionality that may simplify your current FDM app like multidimensional mapping, SQL scripts, format mask for mappings, import format for multi-period loads, data load rules, batch executions, etc.

2) We are using some Scripting & API's in classic FDM, would all those functionality supported in FDMEE?

FDMEE uses Jython for import scripts and mapping scripts.

For Custom and Event Scripts you can chose between Jython and VB.

So if you have:

import scripts -> rewrite is needed to Jython

mapping scripts -> rewrite is needed to Jython or you may replace them with multidimensional mappings or SQL script mappings

scripts in Logic Accounts -> rewrite is needed to Jython

scripts in Validation Rules -> rewrite is needed to Jython

Custom or Event Scripts -> Jython or VB. If you want to keep your old VB scripts, you will have to adjust them as classic FDM was using old VB script (6.0) and FDMEE uses VB script .NET

You have in the admin guide both APIS for Jython and VB. IN addition you can see different examples.

I would recommend to have all in Jython.

3) is any other Risk / impact involved if we migrate to FDMEE?

The most important points is that you make use of new functionality to improve your FDM application.

Customization suppose the most import risk as they will need to be re-implemented.

For example, if you have customization in your database, or as I said, scripting...

To me, the biggest risk is to repeat errors of the past due not knowing the product and its functionality.

I hope that helps.

Regards

• 2. Re: Classic FDM  and FDMEE Migration
            SSN01

Hi Francisco Amores

Thanks for your suggestion.

As FDMEE support Custom VB Script, Can we use the existing Custom Script(Classic FDM) in FDMEE ? Does it required any modification?

Thanks

SS

• 3. Re: Classic FDM  and FDMEE Migration
              Francisco Amores

They do require some modifications.

1. You need to declare input parameters as the script will be executed with cscript utility (you have sample code in admin guide)

2. Some of the API functions/subs have been removed

Best thing would be to check which FDM API functions you are using and try to find them in the API section of the admin guide. Standard VB syntax will be the same.

Note: that if you migrate to linux platform, vbscripts will not work anymore.