1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2014 5:05 PM by Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Modified by an external source
        Matthew Morris

Ok. Is the time on your local machine reporting the same time as your db server?

As in fully synchronized?  Not likely.  SQL Developer is running on a Windows 7 laptop and the server is running on a Linux server in an off-site datacenter.  They're both in the same time zone and they'll both have similar times.  If SQL Dev is comparing the server time with the time on my laptop and having a hissy fit any time the two are slightly off, that would not be a good thing.

• 16. Re: Modified by an external source
          Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle

That's probably what's happening. I'm not sure what the tolerance is, but most computer clocks out there should be within a few seconds of each other...in theory.

• 17. Re: Modified by an external source
            rp0428

Jeff Smith SQLDev PM wrote:

That's probably what's happening. I'm not sure what the tolerance is, but most computer clocks out there should be within a few seconds of each other...in theory.

I don't understand how that could be what's happening. Earlier you said this:

We're checking the time in the db to see when the last time it was modified and comparing it to your local time. Can you confirm your db and local times are correct?

The code should only be concerned if the time in the database is AFTER the local time as that would indicate that the DB has a NEWER version than what sql developer has.

It certainly shouldn't be an issue if the time in the database is BEFORE the local time since anything new done in sql developer would be expected to be AFTER the objects were actually created in the database.

• 18. Re: Modified by an external source
              Matthew Morris

In practice... can I ask SQL Developer to "pretty please with a cherry on top" stop with the clock watching?

• 19. Re: Modified by an external source
                Arpod

If the cause of this issue is not found by next update, at least please make the "Yes" button in message box non-default. Otherwise I don't notice it while typing, hit enter and end up reloading everything and losing all my work.

• 20. Re: Modified by an external source
                  Matthew Morris

PLEASE change the default on the stupid dialog to 'No' if you do nothing else.  I've gotten pretty good at clicking 'No every time this message pops up (a good 12-15 times each day).  However, I just lost another half-hour of work because the dialog popped up while I was typing and it took a 'space' as yes before I could stop.  This is ridiculous. 

The destructive option should always be the non-default answer.

• 21. Re: Modified by an external source

I would think you can turn this off by setting the 'Reload File' options against Environment(top level) in the preferences

Trotty

• 22. Re: Modified by an external source
                      Matthew Morris

I've unchecked that option.  Hopefully I will never see this again.  I'll see what happens today while I'm coding.  Hard to diagnose a NULL event, but normally it happens 5-10 times each day so if it doesn't happen at all, presumably that did it.

• 23. Re: Modified by an external source
                        Matthew Morris

Nope.  That doesn't do it.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

• 24. Re: Modified by an external source

'Automatically Reload Externally Modified Files' - this is off?

With this disabled:

1. Open file in SQLDev
                          2. Open file in Notepad++
                          3. Make change in Notepad++, Save
                          4. Alt-tab to SQLDev
                          5. No prompts, no updates

With this enabled:

1. Same
                          2. Same
                          3. Same
                          4. Same
                          5. Prompted to reload

I believe that you need to close and re-open any file(s) after changing this preference for it to take affect.

So, regardless of whether the framework is detecting the change incorrectly - you SHOULD be able to make the replacement feature 'go away' with this preference.

As for the actual problem - false positives on the file being updated...can you record the timestamp of the file when it's opened, and then again as you are prompted to update in SQL Developer? Maybe you have something 'touch'ing the file w/o actually updating its contents.

• 25. Re: Modified by an external source
                            Matthew Morris

It's not an external file.  It happens when I am modifying PL/SQL objects directly from the data dictionary (i.e. double click on the package body in the Connections box to open the editor).  I suspected the setting was not going to help, but tried it anyway.

I am the only person with developer access in this database.  I have had this happen on procedures that were just created and which no one could access in any form or fashion because nothing referenced them.  Mine was the only session in the database with access to them. Nothing could have been calling the procedure.  Nothing could have been recompiling it because the only person with access to it was me.  I had one database session and in that session the only thing I was trying to do was develop the procedure.

• 26. Re: Modified by an external source

Apologies for not reading this more closely...so database objects...

What does this query show when you get the prompt to update the source...

select last_ddl_time from dba_objects where object_name = 'YOUR_FUNCTION_HERE'

Is the date/time (be sure your NLS Date Format is such that time is shown) younger than the time you loaded the function into your editor?

• 27. Re: Modified by an external source

I'm not able to make your scenario happen - option on or off - in v4.0.2

I'm not even sure that option is tied into database object editing (if no file is associated or loaded.)

I thought maybe Preference > Code Editor > Link Stored Procedures to Files might be coming into play somehow...we do check the file system when dealing with DB objects when you have this enabled. Maybe you have a file associated hanging around somewhere?

You could try this - again, I'm not able to reproduce your scenario, so I'm just thinking out loud there -

Go into your applicate data settings folder - it's under your Win OS User folder. Go to the SQL Developer folder, and your system4.0... folder. Rename it.

Then restart sqldev - this will give you a brand new set of preferences, connections, SQL History.

See if you're still getting prompted.

• 28. Re: Modified by an external source
                                  Matthew Morris

select last_ddl_time from dba_objects where object_name = 'YOUR_FUNCTION_HERE'

Is the date/time (be sure your NLS Date Format is such that time is shown) younger than the time you loaded the function into your editor?

That query will get me half the picture (i.e. the date of the DD object).  Where can I get the specific time I loaded the object into my editor? 

Without that, the first number doesn't mean anything.

• 29. Re: Modified by an external source

write it down when you open it?