3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 5:10 AM by 940856 RSS

Planning to install 12c

Hello Mates,

I have a requirement , where in I have to offer my inputs on various things to my client. I would really appreciate , if you could throw some light or your opinion on following points.

a) we need to install it on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) version. ( I hope, 12c is compatible)

b) we have existing gateways gateways , which talks from 8i to 11g database's.

c) we are using NLS setting – WE8MSWIN1252. is there any thing , we need to take care in 12c for this NLS.

d) how does licensing work with 12c. (we are planning to install fresh 12c version)

e) we have existing 11G sitting on oracle linux 5.8 and we need to install 12c on this very same box. (do we need to concern about this? to me , it's ok , as long as we do not compete with the resources) 

Regards

• 1. Re: Planning to install 12c
          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Moved to the Installation forum. Pl post future questions in appropriate forum

a) we need to install it on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) version. ( I hope, 12c is compatible)

Pl check the official Install Guide - Oracle Database Preinstallation Tasks

c) we are using NLS setting – WE8MSWIN1252. is there any thing , we need to take care in 12c for this NLS.

None that is required from a database perspective, but it is always best to test the application. AL32UTF8 characterset is recommended - Installing Oracle Database - but it is not mandatory.

d) how does licensing work with 12c. (we are planning to install fresh 12c version)

Pl check with your Oracle sales team - they can provide an official answer re licensing.

e) we have existing 11G sitting on oracle linux 5.8 and we need to install 12c on this very same box. (do we need to concern about this? to me , it's ok , as long as we do not compete with the resources)

Correct - as long as this version is certified (see above) and all of the OS requirements match, or do not affect the existing databases on this server.

HTH
          Srini

• 2. Re: Planning to install 12c
            Krishna-Oracle

12 requires Oracle Linux 5 Update 6 and higher

As such there is not procedure to apply license to db home. Common ways of granting licenses are through a written and signed agreement or via a written shrinkwrap or clickwrap agreement, in which the user indicates acceptance of the rights and limitations in the license by opening the software package.

Oracle uses a combination of written agreements to license its software. Agreement document describes the specific products, types of licenses, number of users, level of support.

We should setup our environment as per agreement.

Software investment guide:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/sig-070616.pdf

It will not impact existing installations.

• 3. Re: Planning to install 12c

Thanks Srini and Krishna. I will visit the documents suggested by you.

Regards