2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 10:37 PM by tx103108

Using Oracle ODBC Gateway connecting to a remote Oracle database

tx103108

Oracle 11gR2

RHEL 6.4

Has anyone use the Oracle ODBC Gateway to connect to another Oracle database?  Any issues with that configuration?  Where do I get the ODBC drivers for Linux?

(I know, "why not use a dblink?" -- well that would be against company security policies)

• 1. Re: Using Oracle ODBC Gateway connecting to a remote Oracle database
          Mkirtley-Oracle

Hi,

From the Oracle point of view we support using DG4ODBC for Oracle to Oracle connections. However, we have not actually tested it as DG4ODBC is primarily designed for access to non-Oracle databases.
          How DG4ODBC will work between Oracle databases depends on the ODBC driver and what that supports. You will need an ODBC Oracle driver which you can get from various suppliers including Oracle but also vendors such as DataDirect, Easysoft etc. You could try a Google search.

You say you do not want to use database links but that is how DG4ODBC is used, You cannot do -

sqlplus user/password@dg4odbc_oracle

Once Dg4ODBC is setup and configured as in this note - if you are using Linux 64-bit -

How to Configure DG4ODBC on 64bit Unix OS (Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX Itanium) to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install (Doc ID 561033.1)

then in the Oracle database you create a database link and select from tables in the other Oracle database -

select * from table@dg4odbc_db_link ;

Regards,

Mike

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Oracle ODBC Gateway connecting to a remote Oracle database
            tx103108

Thanks for your reply.  What I meant was 'just' a dblink from 1 Oracle db to another Oracle db w/o the use of the ODBC gateway.