14 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2014 8:56 AM by andy.magana RSS

Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"

andy.magana

I have a T4-4 as a Solaris 11 client and pointing to my publisher at a internal repository that is file based at a different server. What tools can I use to verify that my pkg updates is working on my client.

Thanks,

Andy Magana

• 1. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
          Pascal Kreyer-Oracle

You must first check that your internal repository contents the updates. Then if this is okay, you can try to run the following command to check if all constraints can be resolved :

# pkg update -n

• 2. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
            Alan.S-Oracle

I think this question is due to the output you got from your subject: "No updates available for this image".

If that is the case, you can add "-v" to the pkg update command, and add more "v"s to get more diagnostic output. Use the "-n" option to do a dry-run:

$ pkg update -nv

$ pkg update -nvv

The "No updates available" message could mean a couple of things:

1) The system is already running the latest software available from your repository. To find this out, run this command:

$ pkg list -af entire

This will output the current version of the "entire" package on your system, and list all available versions in the repo.

2) A package that has been installed on your system is preventing you from moving forward. This is where the output from using "-v", "-vv", or even "-vvv" might give a clue about what is prevent this.

-- Alan

• 3. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
              andy.magana

Thanks for the help. This is what I have and this is on my Solaris 11.1 client:

root:~# pkg update -nv

No updates available for this image.

root:~# pkg update -nvvv

No updates available for this image.

root:~# pkg list -af entire

NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO

entire                                            0.5.11-0.175.1.0.0.24.2    i--

on my client also is this: root:~# pkg publisher PUBLISHER                  TYPE    STATUS P LOCATION solaris                    origin  online F http://x.x.x.x:nnnnn/    <----- The "LOCATION is my other Solaris 11 T4-4 machine that has a local repository.

• 4. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                Alan.S-Oracle

The output from "pkg list" indicates that your local repository has just Solaris 11.1 GA installed, and that your system is already at that level. That is situation 1 in my above response. Is this different than what you were expecting? Is your local repository supposed to contain more releases? If so, you may need to run "pkgrepo -s /your/repo/path rebuild" to update the catalog.

-- Alan

• 5. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                  andy.magana

On my client box I did this and received this error, do you understand this error ?

root:~# pkgrepo -s http://x.x.x.x:nnnn rebuild

Initiating repository rebuild.

pkgrepo: Publisher 'solaris' has no repositories that support the 'admin/0' operation.

• 6. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                    Alan.S-Oracle

This command is run on the server with a direct path to the repository. I'm assuming that you know that the local repository should contain newer software than what is being displayed. Is that the case?

More information on maintaining a local repository can be found at:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36784_01/html/E36805/docinfo.html#scrolltoc

-- Alan

• 7. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                      andy.magana

So please correct me on the method to update and I need to get the procedure correct step by step.

On the server that does have my local repository I should do this to update its contents?

pkgrepo -s file:///aipool/s11Repo rebuild

Initiating repository rebuild.

• 8. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                        Pascal Kreyer-Oracle

The method to update your repository is documented in each SRU ISO image readme files available there : MOS Doc ID 1501435.1

• 9. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                          Alan.S-Oracle

Hi Andy.

The problem that I see is that you really haven't given us enough information to help you. Your original question was:

What tools can I use to verify that my pkg updates is working on my client.

I asked above:

Is your local repository supposed to contain more releases?

In other words, did you first update your local repository with a new release of Solaris 11, following the information in the link I had given above on how to maintain a repository? If you are maintaining your own local repository, then you must actively update it before you can use it to install the new software on other systems. The pkgrepo command I gave above assumed you had updated your local repository already.  If you don't want to go through this process of updating your local repository first, then you may want to use the repositories at http://pkg.oracle.com. Pascal pointed you to information for updating to an SRU. If you want to update instead to the Solaris 11.2 beta, you can find info in the FAQ here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/documentation/solaris-11-2-faqs-2191871.pdf

-- Alan

• 10. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                            andy.magana

This is what I have currently installed on my main local repository server. And from what I read and what I understand the next thing to do would be to decide which SRU iso to download? I am kind of lost. Its been a long time since I had done any updates.

root:~# pkg info -l entire

Name: entire

Summary: Incorporation to lock all system packages to the same build

Description: This package constrains system package versions to the same

build.  WARNING: Proper system update and correct package

selection depend on the presence of this incorporation.

Removing this package will result in an unsupported system.

Category: Meta Packages/Incorporations

State: Installed

Publisher: solaris

Version: 0.5.11

Build Release: 5.11

Branch: 0.175.1.0.0.24.2

Packaging Date: September 19, 2012 07:01:35 PM

Size: 5.46 kB

FMRI: pkg://solaris/entire@0.5.11,5.11-0.175.1.0.0.24.2:20120919T190135Z

• 11. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                              Alan.S-Oracle

The version of the OS running on the repository system isn't important. The question is what version is inside the repo, It sounds like you have not updated the local repository at all since Solaris 11.1. If you have a support contract and you want to go to the latest SRU, then follow Pascal's link above to download the latest ISO image. This can be applied on top of the existing local repo, by following the instructions in the README included on the ISO.

If you do not have a support contract, then you can update your repo with the Solaris 11.2 Beta that was just released:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/beta-repo-2190884.html

-- Alan

• 12. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                                andy.magana

So I just downloaded the latest SRU ISO, after I copy the contents to my local repository my client Solaris 11 servers should be able to update by doing a pkg update right ?

• 14. Re: Solaris 11 IPS "No updates available for this image"
                                  andy.magana

Okay here is what resolved my issue:

1. I downloaded the SRU iso not the AI iso.

2. then followed the README instructions

3. mounted the iso  to /mnt  -    mount -F hsfs full_path_to/sol-11_1-srunum_bldnum_respinnum-incr-repo.iso /mnt

4. pkg set-publisher -g file:///mnt/repo solaris

5. pkgrecv -s /mnt/repo -d - full_path_to_existing_s11_repo   '*'

6. pkg update - did this on my local AI server first.

7. pkgrepo rebuild -s full_path_to_existing_s11_repo

8. repository is managed by pkgserv, so I restarted the service - svcadm restart svc:/application/pkg/server

9. reboot

10. pkg info entire - now show the SRU Version: 0.5.11 (Oracle Solaris 11.1.18.5.0) -  AWESOME !!!!

11. logged into client Solaris 11 and performed pkg update it started the update stuff - WOOO HOOO!!!!

Thanks everyone! I have successfully retrieved a SRU iso and updated my local repository and have a process now for the clients as well.

THIS IS SOLVED!!!! THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!