6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2014 1:20 PM by Hasan Al Mamun RSS

duplicate database failed while creating standby database from active database

Hasan Al Mamun

Hi

I am trying to create standby database from active database. My Primary Database is a 2-node RAC with ASM 11gr2. Standby database is 11g2 but single instance database with non-ASM local file system.

All the connection tns entries seems to be OK. TNSPING, SQL Plus or RMAN connectivity is fine from each node and also from standby database. But when I give the command

DUPLICATE DATABASE FOR STANDBY FROM ACTIVE DATABASE NOFILENAMECHECK DORECOVER;

Following error shows:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 05/31/2014 15:40:33

RMAN-05501: aborting duplication of target database

RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on DISK1 channel at 05/31/2014 15:40:33

ORA-17629: Cannot connect to the remote database server

ORA-17627: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

ORA-17629: Cannot connect to the remote database server

I have no clue what so ever. stuck into it.

Hasan Al Mamun

• 2. Re: duplicate database failed while creating standby database from active database

Hi Hasan,

The Connect Identifier that you are using should have the “Service_Name=<service_registered_with_listener_on_Standby_site>”. Have you checked if the service is reflected when you do a “lsnrctl status”?

• 3. Re: duplicate database failed while creating standby database from active database
            Renu-Oracle

Hi,

check below article:

RMAN Active Duplication Failing with RMAN-05501 ORA-17629 ORA-17627 ORA-12514 (Doc ID 1509895.1)

Thanks,

Renu

• 4. Re: duplicate database failed while creating standby database from active database
              Hasan Al Mamun

Hi

Thanks guys for your reply, my problem is solved, one of my node's tnsnames entry was different for others. I have changed it and now not facing same problem. Now it's a different error. It seems to be related with password file.

My Password parameter is EXCLUSIVE. I have copied orapwracdb1 and orapwracdb2 to standby database's $ORACLE_HOME/dbs location with filename orapwst_racdb

[oracle@dg dbs]$ ls

hc_racdg.dat  hc_st_racdb.dat  init.ora  lkRACDB orapwracdb1  orapwracdb2  orapwst_racdb

RMAN Duplicate command from stand by server:

rman target sys/sys@racdb auxiliary sys/sys@dr

DUPLICATE DATABASE FOR STANDBY FROM ACTIVE DATABASE NOFILENAMECHECK DORECOVER;

Following error shows:

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 06/01/2014 06:45:45

RMAN-05501: aborting duplication of target database

RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on DISK8 channel at 06/01/2014 06:45:45

ORA-19505: failed to identify file "/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/dbs/orapwracdb1"

ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status

Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Additional information: 3

I think red lines are the problems. how can I solve it, please suggest.

Hasan Al Mamun

• 5. Re: duplicate database failed while creating standby database from active database

I hope you did not "move" the pwd file from your current Primary node.

Also, why did you have to get the 2 password files shipped to Standby site, you can just take one and rename that to "orapw<name_of_sby_instance>", that itself should work.

Message was edited by: 1826067 Sorry, forgot to mention 2 important points.... 1st thing, it's always recommended to run the Duplicate command from a Primary Node, though it's not a mandate! 2nd, Are you using a scan-name when trying to connect to the target Database(Primary), if so, you may face the problem. Connect to just one instance either racdb1 or racdb2.

• 6. Re: duplicate database failed while creating standby database from active database
                  Hasan Al Mamun

Hi

Finally Standby database has been created. Had to go through series of corrections. First, i had mistaken db_name and db_unique_name

Then had to configure snapshot control file. and then some output file newname conventions. Standby completed, but of no use. Standby does not seem to be in sync with primary database. I had applied redo, and switched logs in primary checked archive changes in standby but it's not changing in standby database.

Now when I see Enterprise Manager of Primary database at the data guard section I see the following errors.

Jun 2, 2014 9:09:15 AMError ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
                  Jun 2, 2014 1:07:45 AMError ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
                  Jun 2, 2014 1:02:45 AMNormal ORA-00000: normal, successful completion

Actually I am doing my home work in my vmware before a big deployment. I don't want to stuck in a situation in the production database. 

Hasan Al Mamun