11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2014 12:34 PM by Dude! RSS

Activity?

Dude!

Sorry to bother but why is the thread Oracle Community Forum Guide appearing at the top of the overview listing, showing 1 hour since last activity.

It's not that I mind or think its a bad idea to keep this post visible, quite the opposite, but I would rather not want that others think I was modifying my post to push it into people's eyes.

For what it's worth, I did not modify anything in that thread and cannot see who did. If anyone responded and removed a post, which would move it up the list, should it not display "the post was removed, please search...." as usual? Also it's not showing up in the content view. Do content view and overview sort posts under different criteria now? And what I also find strange is that it shows the initial post in the overview, rather than the last post like it does with other posts.

• 1. Re: Activity?
          BluShadow

It also appeared in my communications and I couldn't see anything changed.... but c'mon dude, you know it's Jive forum software... you can't expect things to be logical with it. 

• 2. Re: Activity?
            Varun-Oracle

Not sure but a quick look at thread shows

Latest reply: Jun 6, 2014 2:00 AM by Jjun.Tan Branched to a new discussion.

• 3. Re: Activity?
              Dude!

I know it's bloody Jive, but I'm starting to like! (just kidding)

• 4. Re: Activity?
                Dude!

Well, OK. The reply by the user shows up now, but was not shown before. But I guess as long as everything is in sync there is no need to worry about it, anymore. It's also showing up in the content view now. Thanks for looking into it.

• 5. Re: Activity?
                  EdStevens

As I read your description, I can't help but wonder if it's another manifestation of the same issue as my last thread here: Last Activity Date, redux

• 6. Re: Activity?
                    EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

I"m starting to "like" Jive almost as much as I "like" Windows  

• 7. Re: Activity?
                      gimbal2

EdStevens wrote:

Dude! wrote:

I"m starting to "like" Jive almost as much as I "like" Windows  

Windows 7 is pretty good so I have good hopes for Jive 7 then!

• 8. Re: Activity?
                        BluShadow

Just as long as Jive 8 doesn't go all tile based.

• 9. Re: Activity?
                          Dude!

I already learned about the Dunning–Kruger effect in this forum, which I think was awesome. Thanks to jgarry for this info. My experience also is that the harder something is to learn or use, the more likely some people adhere to it. I wonder if this effect already has a name.

I probably would compare MS Windows to Jive, but luckily or not, many years ago I learned better. Meaning I don't use MS Windows unless I really have to. I use Jive though because Oracle OTN does not provide any other alternative.

Microsoft used to make good software, but I think whatever comes out of Redmond for the last decade isn't any good anymore. Unfortunately Microsoft has no experience in invented anything really useful, not even ctrl-alt-del, but they keep buying out and destroying the competition. Just look what they have done to Skype. However, I do not mean to bash Microsoft or Windows, it's almost a miracle that it works as it does.The actual problem is with any IT corporation that has become too big (to fail), and where the status quo and worry about competition becomes more important than providing a good and really useful product to the customer. Unfortunately, neither Oracle, nor Apple really make any difference, not anymore. Anyway, I digress.

• 10. Re: Activity?
                            Dude!

BluShadow wrote:

Just as long as Jive 8 doesn't go all tile based.

... only 1 tile. A big tile with OTN written the center. The forum will be hidden links that only appear when you move over them with your mouse or finger, your personal pointing device. To make it more challenging and to protect from spam, the location of these links will be at random places, so people cannot memorize them.

• 11. Re: Activity?
                              jgarry

All sorts of names, depending on the theory.  Instructional theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is certainly an emotional investment component.

This is an interesting effect: Top 10 Things Every Presenter Needs To Know About People:  Writing By Hand Can Increase Commitment …