Shouldn't need to redeploy, only really clear the tmp directory from the managed server, I go back to ADF patches again because I have not seen confirmation they were applied correctly.
I redeployed the patch again.
I first remove the patch installed and I reinstalled the two patches located in the folder 126.96.36.199.500
After this installation, I have access to my workspace, but when I try to open an implementation schedule I errors.
Currently I am not on-site, I will return to the subject when I go back to my post.
thank you for your response
Now try to remove all the temp and chache files (cluster servers), start the services..and check the issue. (to be saferside you can move the temp and chache files to other location and delete post confirmation of all works well)
Location: ORACLE_MIDDLEWARE_HOME/user_projects/domain/<Domain name>/servers/Servername/
We encounter too many problems with the patch, we were finally obliged uninstall all our platform hyperion and reinstall.
Now that we reconfigure all, I'd like your opinion for good installation procedure.
In the 17529887 patch, there are two large patch 16964825 and 18362693
which one should be installed first?
otherwise By installing the 17529887 patch, is it automatically installs the 16964825 and 18362693?
I just installed the patch, more connection error to schedule as before.
However quend I try to connect with the FQDN name
[hostname]. [name of network domain] I get the following message:
Error Loading Adf for module with id: bpm.Desktop Message: this.getDocument(...) is null
This is so nasty, but I wonder if someone already had this problem
I faced same issue. I have applied previously on many instances but did not face this issue.
In a particular Windows environment I am facing same issue .
I see that both the ADF patches were applied successfully.
I tried rolling back and applying manually but that did not help.
I even reapplied the entire patch .500 but even that did not help
Redeployed the workspace - No success
Reconfigured OHS as it seems to work fine on physical port but even this did not help.
Even the other suggestion of clearing cache was also done.
Finally, I rolled back the entire patch now its working.
I gave another try a few weeks ago and it worked.
Please find update here