Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"

Green-bit

APEX 4.2.5

apexlistener .2.0.5.287.04.27

oracle 11.2.0.4.0

glassfish3

Hello guys, I installed glassfish using the following link

http://ronr.blogspot.com/2012/04/using-glassfish-and-apexlistener-as.html

everything went smooth until the point where we have to configure the listener.

at the end of glassfish installation i got two links

Application Name:

apex

Links:

[server] http://<localhost>:8080/apex

[server] https://<localhost>:8181/apex

I tried configuring listener using both links

http://<localhost>:8080/apex/listenerConfigure

https://<localhost>:8181/apex/listenerConfigure

but I am getting a page saying that the "This installation has not yet been configured"

### web.xml file ###  (my configuration file is set to "/apps/apex" directory)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<web-app id="WebApp_ID" version="2.4"

xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd">

<display-name>Oracle Application Express Listener</display-name>

<context-param>

<param-name>config.dir</param-name>

<!-- Enter the location where configuration settings should be stored -->

<param-value>/apps/apex</param-value>

</context-param>

<context-param>

<param-name>version</param-name>

<param-value>2.0.5.287.04.29</param-value>

</context-param>

###

when I did "/usr/bin/java -jar apex.war configdir", i got the following message

Jun 10, 2014 5:09:53 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.cmds.ConfigDir execute

INFO: The config.dir setting is not set

So I tried to set the configdir manually "/usr/bin/java -jar apex.war configdir /apps/apex"

and now when i did "/usr/bin/java -jar apex.war configdir" i got the following

Jun 10, 2014 5:10:25 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.cmds.ConfigDir execute

INFO: The config.dir value is /apps/apex

still i am getting the "This installation has not yet been configured"

can someone please tell me where I am going wrong?

Thank You

• 1. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
          Green-bit

It is resolved.

previously I used apex_listener.2.0.5.287.04.27 & ords.2.0.7.91.15.01, both of them did not work.

so I used apex_listener.1.1.4.195.00.12, which is a previous version and it worked, as soon as I used the links provided after we launch the application (https://<hostname>:8181/apex/listenerConfigure) i was able to configure the apex listener.

So the solution was to use lower version of apex listener instead of higher version when configuring against glassfish.

• 2. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
            Christoph

I've had a similar issue with ORDS, where the configdir didn't point to the right place. This happened because I didn't configure the directory before configuring the listener. To work around it, I removed all the ords files, re-installed them, ran the directory configuration first, and then the listener configuration. After deploying the ords.war file, the listener worked correctly.

• 3. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
              GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi Green,

so I used apex_listener.1.1.4.195.00.12, which is a previous version and it worked, as soon as I used the ...

Why are u using the old version, i thought you want a resolution for ORDS configuration... sheesh.

Regards,

Benjamin.

• 4. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                Green-bit

Hello Chirstoph, how did you set the configuration directory?

did you set in "/apps/gf/glassfish3/glassfish/domains/domain1/applications/apex1/WEB-INF/web.xml" file, or did you run it as "java -jar apex.war configdir /path".

Hello Ghana, I tried using ords.war, it didn't work, so I used the lower version, i think it was a problem due to the setting of the configdir, I guess in the lower version the configdir is set automatically,.

When I used ords.war, i tried setting the configdir in web.xml file and also manually by running the "java -jar apex.war configdir" command.

is there an order in which we have to set the configdir, like should I set it before a step or after a step in the process of configuring glassfish listener. Me, first I created the application "apex" and then changed the ords.war. still the logs were written to /var/tmp/apex directory (default)

• 5. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                  Christoph

The location of the directory doesn't really matter. I put mine in /u01/ords. Just make sure not to remove the directory, because glassfish will reference the files in this directory. I set it as in your second example: "java -jar ords.war configdir /u01/ords".

• 6. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                    Green-bit

Thanks Christoph,

When I first started configuring apex listener on glassfish, I used the web.xml to set the config directory. when that didn't work, I used the java -jar to set the config directory. it didn't work. it may be because I set the config directory in two locations that my listener configuration didn't work.

I will try to set it up using java -jar only and will try if that works for the latest version of apex listener.

• 7. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                      Christoph

You may want to delete the entire ords directory first, and then unzip ords again, just to make sure all the configuration files are prestine.

C

• 8. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                        GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi Green,

Normally this happens in Linux, i don't know if it is a known issue ,where when you set the configuration location it defaults to the glassfish location OR some temp location.

The best thing to do is

1. to clear the folder  of the ORDS settings left
                        2. Set the configuration location to the location specified
                        3. reconfigure the ords.war file again using
                        java -jar ords.war setup

Thanks

Benjamin.

• 9. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                          Green-bit

Hello Ghana / Christoph

Thank You for your replies.

For the time being I am fine with a lower version of apex listener. I want to get a feel of working with apex and setting up connection pools before moving forward.

I configured Apex Listener 1.1 with Glassfish 3.

the server where I installed apex doesn't contain oracle RDBMS software and no databases are running on this server.

I got to the page https://<localhost>:8181/apex/listenerConfigure and I entered the details of the database present in another server.

after the click apply the page just hangs

it goes to the following link and just stays there (the tab in the google chorme says "Application Express Login")

https://<localhost>:8181/apex/f?p=4550:1:14105114011306  (localhost is the host were the listener and glassfish are installed but not the database where apex is installed.)

Now to see if I made any mistakes i go to the https://<localhost>:8181/apex/listenerAdmin  and login with the adminlistener account

when i go to the page, I see that all the fields asking for the database info are greyed out, I am not able to enter any information in them.

1. Is it required that a dummy database be created in the server where the listener is installed and setup apex on that dummy database?

2. How can I add more databases to the connection pool?

3. Where can I find the URLs that I can use to connect to other databases present in other servers using the apex listener?

• 10. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                            Christoph

I'm with Ghana here: Use the new listener (ORDS) which will allow you to add multiple databases.

The database does not have to be on the same server as the web server (that's kind of the point of the listener).

When you configure additional databases with ORDS, you configure a URL path as well. Your first database will probably be <host>:8181/ords, the additional databases will be something like <host>:8181/ords/database2/ or <host>:8181/ords/database3.

• 11. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                              Green-bit

Shouldn't the old listener allow us to add multiple databases too?

• 12. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                                GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi Green,

That is why the apex listener had improve over the years from Apex listener 1.0 to Oracle Rest Data Service 2.07.

Hence Please upgrade  and post questions for solutions.

Regards

Benjamin.

• 13. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                                  Green-bit

Hello Ghana, that is what I've been trying to do, i've been trying to configure ords 2.07 against glassfish3, but it is not working. after I launch the applications, I get the screen that the application listener has not been configured. i am not sure where i am  going wrong,

---unzipped the ogs-3.1.2.2.zip file

---unzipped the ords.2.0.7.91.15.01.zip file

---glassfish3/glassfish/bin/asadmin start-domain

---glassfish3/glassfish/bin/asadmin enable-secure-admin

---glassfish3/glassfish/bin/asadmin stop-domain

---glassfish3/glassfish/bin/asadmin start-domain

---created "adminlistener" in ADMIN group & "managerlistener" in Manager group

---enabled default to principle role mapping

---set JACC to "simple" from "default" in security

---set the configdir manually for the ords.war by "/usr/bin/java -jar ords.war configdir /directory/path"

---created the ords application by select the ords.war.

---moved the image files from "/apex/image"s to "glassfish3/glassfish/domains/domain1/docroot/i"

---launched the application ords.

I get two links and click on any of them "https://<localhost>:8181/ords/listenerConfigure", after that I get the page saying the Listener hasn't been installed.

but with apex listener 1.1.4 all the above steps work fine and I get to the listenerAdmin page. but after configuring one database connection I am not able to configure another database connection, because the fields requiring me to enter the database info for the connection are grayed out.

I just have two question I am trying to find the answer to.

1. why is ords and apex listener 2 not working for glassfish3 where as apex listener 1 does? is it because I am running glassfish3 instead of glassfish4

2. why can't I configure more database connection with the apex listener 1.1.4? (i am totally fine with having a lower version of apex listener as long as it meets my requirements of connecting to multiple database and running apex.)

####My java version####

kny925vnbrul807:oracle:/clu01/apex:java -version

java version "1.6.0_51"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_51-b11)

Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.51-b01, mixed mode)

Thank You

• 14. Re: Apex listener on glassfish "This installation has not yet been configured"
                                    GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi Green,

First check to the location of the Configuration File ie.

java -jar apex.war configdir

if that is null then, there has to be reconfigure to the appropriate location.

java -jar apex.war configdir <location path>

NB:

If this doesnt work in linux for the glassfish then , make sure to set it to the appropriate location it specifies.

Then rerun the setup again

java -jar apex.war setup

Setup to the port of choice there.

and recheck that the port is indeed there located in the apex.properties file in the apex folder located in the configuration path you set

Something like this

apex.images=<Image path here>
                                    http.port=8181

Try launching Apex from  glassfish server again .

Hope this works

Regards

Benjamin.