1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2014 1:08 AM by Hemant K Chitale Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
        Hemant K Chitale

Because the parameter file for TEST has db_name = 'TEST'

the DUPLICATE DATABASE command handles this by executing ALTER SYSTEM SET DB_NAME and DB_UNIQUE_NAME

In your current test, you need to update the db_name in the TEST parameter file.

Note : I would also have removed the TEST database properly before doing a DUPLICATE.  There may be a mismatch between the numbers of datafiles (even Tablespaces) in PROD and TEST (i.e. the existing TEST before the DUPLICATE)

Hemant K Chitale

• 31. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
          FreddieEssex

Hi,

I believe your error is due to the archivelogs not being available which are required to recover the database.

I was able to replicate your issue on one of my test environments.

So i suspect that when the database was backed up it was done so without backing up your archivelogs.

I backed up my database the same way (ie backup database include current controlfile format 'xyz') and during the duplicate database it used the archivelogs which were still on disk from the target database.

starting media recovery

archived log for thread 1 with sequence 37 is already on disk as file /u01/fast_recovery_area/ORCL/archivelog/2014_06_11/o1_mf_1_37_9sj7rwjo_.arc

archived log file name=/u01/fast_recovery_area/ORCL/archivelog/2014_06_11/o1_mf_1_37_9sj7rwjo_.arc thread=1 sequence=37

media recovery complete, elapsed time: 00:00:00

Once I removed the archivelogs from disk I got the error you are having:

RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 06/11/2014 11:46:28

RMAN-05501: aborting duplication of target database

RMAN-05541: no archived logs found in target database

As such the backups you have seem to be useless and there are no archivelog backups or archivelogs on disk from which you can recover the database from.

Obviously you can test out this theory yourself.

• 32. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
            KarthikSinghDBA

Hi Freddie,

Thanks. As you said it was issue with the following two

1. No Archive Logs in Backup.

2. Duplicating the backup of ORCL database to TEST, where I have already installed a Database called TEST.

So now As Hemant said, I'm working on the restore of a Fresh where OLD TEST Database to be dropped/deleted. To drop/delete I need the database to be in mount stage, since I messed up with the control file I couldn't do it. Creation of control file is halfway in progress for OLD TEST database.

So for the status as follows:

1. Restored the Database as ORCL itself and trying to rename the Database using NID.

Now the issue is with ASM File Structure, I'm halfway in renaming with editing the parameter files. I couldn't rename a Directory in ASM since it is an ASM System generated file.

SQL> ALTER DISKGROUP DATA1 RENAME DIRECTORY '+DATA1/ORCL' TO '+DATA1/OLD_ORCL';

ALTER DISKGROUP DATA1 RENAME DIRECTORY '+DATA1/ORCL' TO '+DATA1/OLD_ORCL'

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-15032: not all alterations performed

ORA-15177: cannot operate on system aliases

• 33. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
              KarthikSinghDBA

Hi,

So for I'm done with Restore and Rename of ORCL to TEST. But as I said in my previous post I need to update the ASM Storage File paths.

RMAN> report schema;

Report of database schema for database with db_unique_name TEST

List of Permanent Datafiles

===========================

File Size(MB) Tablespace           RB segs Datafile Name

---- -------- -------------------- ------- ------------------------

1    1060     SYSTEM               ***     +DATA1/orcl/datafile/system.309.8499                                                                                     36179

2    1060     SYSAUX               ***     +DATA1/orcl/datafile/sysaux.307.8499                                                                                     36179

3    220      UNDOTBS1             ***     +DATA1/orcl/datafile/undotbs1.308.84                                                                                     9936181

4    11       USERS                ***     +DATA1/orcl/datafile/users.310.84993                                                                                     6183

5    150      UNDOTBS2             ***     +DATA1/orcl/datafile/undotbs2.305.84                                                                                     9936181

List of Temporary Files

=======================

File Size(MB) Tablespace           Maxsize(MB) Tempfile Name

---- -------- -------------------- ----------- --------------------

1    20       TEMP                 32767       +DATA1/orcl/tempfile/temp.345.84                                                                                     9936353

2    100      RAC_IAS_TEMP         100         +DATA1/orcl/tempfile/rac_ias_tem                                                                                     p.346.849936353

Stuck here: I need to Rename the Directory from "orcl" to "TEST".

Note: Already there is a Folder called "TEST" is available in ASM.

Either I need to RENAME the Directory or

I need to DROP the OLD TEST Directory.

I couldn't move further. Once again Thanks a lot for your valuable effort and Time Hemant and Freddie.

Thanks,

Karthik

• 34. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
                EdStevens

KarthikSinghDBA wrote:

Restore of Contorol file is doing good

RMAN> restore controlfile from '/home/oracle/backup/ORCL/ORCL_18_0ip6c3so_1_1';

Starting restore at 11-JUN-14

using channel ORA_DISK_1

channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring control file

channel ORA_DISK_1: restore complete, elapsed time: 00:00:01

output file name=+DATA1/test/controlfile/current.297.848048479

Finished restore at 11-JUN-14

but after this when I tried to do alter database mount; it shows the db name mismatch error as said preivous post.

Quoting Freddie Essex from earlier in the thread:  "You will need to use the db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert parameters as this is on the same host and presumably you will be using a different directory structure."

I have a weekly job that does a DUPLICATE DATABASE from a prod to a test database, and for another system I have an on-demand script that also does DUPLICATE DATABASE from prod to test.  The key to both is correct setting of the above two parms in the spfile of the test database.  Of course, this also pre-supposes that the specified target directories actually exist.

• 35. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
                  Hemant K Chitale

Changing the folder names is handled by using db_file_name_convert when running the DUPLICATE DATABASE (A RESTORE DATABASE does not use db_file_name_convert)

If you want to rename the files and folders after the restore, refer to Oracle Support Note "How to rename/move a datafile in the same ASM diskgroup (Doc ID 564993.1)"

Hemant K Chitale

• 38. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
                    KarthikSinghDBA

Thanks Freddie. Thanks to all for your valuable effort and time.

Thanks,

Karthik

• 39. Re: Restore, Recover, change DB Name with Already Installed DB SW only 11gr2
                      Hemant K Chitale

Yes, if you have enough disk space to hold a copy of each datafile in the new  folder location, you can use RMAN to copy the datafiles.

Hemant K Chitale

1 2 3 Previous Next