11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2014 11:13 PM by Prejib RSS

Crontab is not working for expdp

Prejib

Hi ,

I am able to run the .sh file from linux prompt successfully . If I schedule this through crontab thecommand 'expdp' and 'exp' are not getting executed fromt the .sh file , If I print Oracle_Home and Path this is getting printed in the log file. The file contents are given below

[oracle@lnxoradb1 shell]$ crontab -e

18 23 * * * bash /data/scripts/shell/test.sh >> /data/scripts/log/test.log

[oracle@lnxoradb1 shell]$ cat test.sh

cd ~

. .bash_profile

PATH=/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/oradata:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle

export PATH

export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle

export ORACLE_SID=xqa1

export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1

echo "Path =" $PATH

echo  "starting ..........."

expdp

exp

echo "Ending.."

[oracle@lnxatgoradb1 log]$ cat test.log

Path = /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/oradata:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle

starting ...........

Ending..

Thanks

Prejib

• 1. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
          DK2010

Hi,

You must have some error in the log file like unknown command something like this,Try with following,check with echo u have set all the parameter

echo $ORACLE_BASE

export ORACLE_SID=xqa1

echo $ORACLE_SID

echo $ORACLE_HOME

export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH

echo $PATH

• 2. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
            sybrand_b

Why do you recommend to hardcode Oracle_home in scripts? It is unprofessional!

To OP:

You should call

export ORAENV_ASK="NO"

export ORACLE_SID=<your sid>

. oraenv

For the rest

- there is a PL/SQL API which you can use to export your database

- Oracle comes with dbms_scheduler, so using cron is obsolete.

--------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 3. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
              Prejib

Hi ,

Still I am getting the result like this after setting all the variables correctly as given below ..

/u01/app/oracle

xqa1

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/oradata:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle

Path = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/oradata:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle

starting ...........

Ending..

• 4. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                Prejib

Hi ,

sybrand_b wrote:

To OP:

You should call

export ORAENV_ASK="NO"

. oraenv

For the rest

--------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

First time  Oracle_home was not hard coded , it was given as ORACLE_HOME =$ORACLE_HOME .. For trial purpose ,I have hard coded.

I have tried with the above commands also , and not getting the expected result .

Can you please help me to understand --> PL/SQL API

• 5. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                  sybrand_b

'Not getting the expected result'. So what result did you get? I know for a fact this works, I don't post non-operational code here, and I am using this for years.

So please don't post this kind  of false assertions.

For the datapump api refer to Morgans Library Oracle 12c DBMS_DATAPUMP Demos&lt;/title&gt;&lt;/head&gt;&lt;body&gt;&lt;div align=&quot;center&quot;&gt;&lt;div class=&…

At the bottom of this page are working examples.

To make this working in batch you need to remove the progress reporting, but that is not difficult to accomplish.

----------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 6. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                    Jagdeep Sangwan

I don't post non-operational code here, and I am using this for years.

So please don't post this kind  of false assertions.

These are some kind of words for an expert to say .....

• 7. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                      EdStevens

Prejib wrote:

Hi ,

sybrand_b wrote:

To OP:

You should call

export ORAENV_ASK="NO"

. oraenv

For the rest

--------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

First time  Oracle_home was not hard coded , it was given as ORACLE_HOME =$ORACLE_HOME .. For trial purpose ,I have hard coded.

I have tried with the above commands also , and not getting the expected result .

Can you please help me to understand --> PL/SQL API

What do you think the statement "ORACLE_HOME =$ORACLE_HOME" actually accomplishes?  You are simply setting an environment variable (ORACLE_HOME) to its current value .....

When a script is executed by cron, it does NOT inherit any envrionment at all.  The script is responsible for setting any and all environment variables that it needs.  And to that end, I would reiterate what Sybrand said about the use of oraenv to set the environment variables that Oracle cares about (ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH).  He gave you the sample code.  I do the same thing in ALL of my shell scripts.  To reiterate:

set ORACLE_SID=whatever

set ORAENV_ASK=NO

.  oraenv    #<< that's 'dot space oraenv'

unset ORAENV_ASK

I would NOT reference '.bash_profile'  That is really intended to be used for your interactive command line session.  There will be too much temptation to customize it for that environment, and end up with unintended consequences in any shell scripts that reference it.  It is simply a lazy way of trying to avoid figuring out what your script really needs.  Kind of like granting DBA to an app user of a database.

• 8. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                        EdStevens

Prejib wrote:

Hi ,

I am able to run the .sh file from linux prompt successfully . If I schedule this through crontab thecommand 'expdp' and 'exp' are not getting executed fromt the .sh file , If I print Oracle_Home and Path this is getting printed in the log file. The file contents are given below

[oracle@lnxoradb1 shell]$ crontab -e

[oracle@lnxoradb1 shell]$ cat test.sh

cd ~

. .bash_profile

PATH=/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/oradata:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle

export PATH

export ORACLE_SID=xqa1

echo "Path =" $PATH

echo  "starting ..........."

expdp

exp

echo "Ending.."

[oracle@lnxatgoradb1 log]$ cat test.log

Path = /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/oradata:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/home/oracle

starting ...........

Ending..

Thanks

Prejib

YOur supposed output does not square with the script you show.  Those references to expdp and exp should/would have returned something.  BTW, if those were the entire commands, your script should have 'hung' on the expdp command because it would have entered interactive mode, since you provided it with NO information on which to act.

• 9. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                          EdStevens

try

18 23 * * * bash /data/scripts/shell/test.sh >> /data/scripts/log/test.log  2>&1

this will redirect errout to your log file.

Also, add this line to the top of your script:

set -x

That will add a lot of tracing information to your output.

• 10. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                            Catch-22

The complete console output of a crontask is normally recorded by cron and sent by e-mail unless it has been disabled. Please check the email of your Oracle user for any clues and error messages.

• 11. Re: Crontab is not working for expdp
                              Prejib

Thanks ..

When I have added 'set -x ' at the top of the file , the crontab executed successfully without any issues including expdp..

and printed the expected outpu in the log file

Regards,

Prejib