1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2014 12:37 AM by 1054206 RSS

Forms GOT HANG.

Dear all,

My PC suddenly got off while using forms through application. When again i restart MY PC the form get hang, after i checked with DBA the table is locked after removing table lock the forms got success.

How to avoid  the table Lock.??? Pls suggest me a solution.

• 1. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
          sfr.farhan

I think, PC got restart is not the problem related to table locking,

What you are performing and using in form application that is locking forms session.

• 2. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
            HamidHelal

In general , when inserting data will not lock the table.

Updating the table lock the table. in simple term, you can use procedure to update the table.

Hope this helps

Hamid

• 3. Re: Forms GOT HANG.

Once i killed the table lock the form working fine. what is the issue for that?

• 4. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
                sfr.farhan

What step you are performing, when this situation occured?

What is the logic written on your form which locking tables?

Are you getting some locking message, while try to update any thing on screen?

Is something getting updated or deleted?

• 5. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
                  HamidHelal

7410ee99-6679-4c5a-be6d-00f400110bb6 wrote:

Once i killed the table lock the form working fine. what is the issue for that?

When you perform task from forms then it get the table as LOCKED, so, it waiting for the lock release and after getting lock free, it's working without jam.

Hope this helps

Hamid

• 6. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
                    CraigB

Dear all,

My PC suddenly got off while using forms through application. When again i restart MY PC the form get hang, after i checked with DBA the table is locked after removing table lock the forms got success.

How to avoid  the table Lock.??? Pls suggest me a solution.

This is a hard situation to avoid.  If your PC hung, GPF'd, etc, and you had an active Forms Session, then you will likely have a lock on a table.  The lock is still there because you still have an active Forms session open on the application server and in the database.  The application server should close inactive Forms sessions after a period of inactivity (typically 15 minutes) which in turn will release the lock on the table.  The only way to prevent this type of lock occurring would be to prevent your PC or Forms Session from abnormal terminations - good luck with this...

When a Forms session terminates abnormally, the only options are to kill the session on the application server or on the database in order to release the table lock.

Craig...

• 7. Re: Forms GOT HANG.

It mean user have to wait for 15 min for releasing the table lock?. We need immediate to release the table lock.

• 8. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
                        CraigB

It mean user have to wait for 15 min for releasing the table lock?. We need immediate to release the table lock.

You will have to figure out a way to identify hung sessions or change the default inactivity timeout to a shorter time.  I don't recommend doing this because you will only aggravate your users if they have to log into the system every 5 minutes.   I can't image you have users who's computers lock-up on them with great frequency...if you do, you have bigger problems than the 15 minute timeout.   The easiest option is for these users to simply contact your App Server admin who can go into the Enterprise Manager console and terminate the hung session or you have have the session terminated in the db.

Craig...

• 9. Re: Forms GOT HANG.

Hi farhan,

We are doing barcode scan with this form. From main form we are selecting a values from LOV and we are calling the call form. Calling form with will do barcode scan before saving that number if PC got shutdown again we opened with the particular number the system got Hang . Other number will working fine.

• 10. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
                            sfr.farhan

We are doing barcode scan with this form.

Please explain the said process, what you are using here in above process. any jar file etc. how you are getting barcode scan into form.

before saving that number if PC got shutdown again we opened with the particular number the system got Hang .

Please provide some info about the following

1. Is PC shutdown issue happening only with you or same problem is happening with other user as well?

2. Is there any update / delete line of code is written either at form or db level for this process?

3. Are you using POST built-in in your code at form level?

4. What is the form version?

Actually, why i'm asking too many question here, because this is not the usual behavior and difficult to investigate therefore need some clarification before advise any thing.

• 11. Re: Forms GOT HANG.

Yes same problem for all user.

We are doing commit_form only.

Yes correct we are using POST built in that form.

forms 11g version.

• 12. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
                                sfr.farhan

Yes correct we are using POST built in that form.

it means, locking is happening while your transaction is in-process, why i said in-process here because you had POST the transaction but not commited and your PC is shutdown.

please provide some detail about below. in order to know the reason of PC shutdown.

We are doing barcode scan with this form.

Please explain the said process, what you are using here in above process. any jar file etc. how you are getting barcode scan into form.

• 13. Re: Forms GOT HANG.

No jar files we are using barcode scanner machine is connected with user PC. By using this we are getting the barcode number in fields.

What is the solution for instead of using POST builtin.

• 14. Re: Forms GOT HANG.
                                    sfr.farhan

we are using barcode scanner machine is connected with user PC. By using this we are getting the barcode number in fields.

so how you are getting barcode number into field at form level, how it interact with barcode scanner machine.

What is the solution for instead of using POST builtin.

Normally POST use to temporary post data to the database in order to perform some operation/process within a session, as posted data visibility withing the session only.

I don't know the logic behind to usage of POST built-in here, so couldn't advise.

1 2 Previous Next