1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 23, 2014 8:22 AM by Chrisjenkins-Oracle RSS

Some simple queries on TimesTen

Jimbo

Hi, I am completely new to TimesTen, I was just wondering how it can interact with standard Oracle Databases

Q1.What is the connection method to TimesTen ? i.e. is it Sql*Net ?

Q2. What is used to backup TimesTen databases ? Are they basically a backup of the transaction logs, therefore any file based backup method ? eg standard backup facility of the OS on which TimesTen is deployed ?

Q3. I presume tools like Data Pump, export/import etc do not work with TimesTen ?

Q4. Can TimesTen be used as a Data Source for Oracle BI Server ( i.e. OBIEE ) or alternatively to hold the BI Repository ?

Q5. Are all the basic DML and DDL commands for Sql, available to be used with TimesTen ?

thanks,
      Jim

• 1. Re: Some simple queries on TimesTen
          Chrisjenkins-Oracle

Hello Jim. With regards to your questions:

Q1.What is the connection method to TimesTen ? i.e. is it Sql*Net ?

A1: When TimesTen communicates with Oracle it uses regular SQL*Net mechanisms. To Oracle DB it appears as just another client.

Q2. What is used to backup TimesTen databases ? Are they basically a backup of the transaction logs, therefore any file based backup method ? eg standard backup facility of the OS on which TimesTen is deployed ?

A2: TimesTen provides it own backup and restore utilities (ttBackup/ttRestore) which allow you create online, transactionally consistent backups, both full and incremental. These tools are the only supported way to backup a TimesTen database. You should not use OS level file backup tools to backup an active database as the resulting 'backup' will not be consistent and will most likely not be usable.

Q3. I presume tools like Data Pump, export/import etc do not work with TimesTen ?

A3: Correct, however TimesTen does have its own set of tools that provide many capabilities.

Q4. Can TimesTen be used as a Data Source for Oracle BI Server ( i.e. OBIEE ) or alternatively to hold the BI Repository ?

A4: Yes, TimesTen is supported as a data source for OBIEE. In fact TimesTen is one of the key technologies within the OBIEE stack in the Exalytics BI engineered system. It is not currently supported to store the BI Repository in TimesTen.

Q5. Are all the basic DML and DDL commands for Sql, available to be used with TimesTen ?

A5: Yes, though there are differences in the syntax and features supported by TImesTen compared to Oracle DB. But TimesTen supports most of the usual SQL.

You can find put a lot more detail about TimesTen by skimming through the presentations, whitepapers and documentation, available here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/timesten/overview/index.html

Chris