1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 26, 2014 3:44 PM by Ivanigorovich-Oracle RSS

inotify-like service on Solaris

ONEEYEMAN

Hi, ALL,

According to https://blogs.oracle.com/praks/entry/file_events_notification and Solaris File Event Notification | Rants about the Solaris OS  Solaris has its own implementation of the subject.

Unfortunately it is available starting from version 11.

So my question is: how do I test for the Solaris version in configure and in the code (compile-time/runtime checks)? Since it is in the kernel I presume I don't need to check for its presence...

Thank you.

• 1. Re: inotify-like service on Solaris
          Ivanigorovich-Oracle

In general checking versions of platforms is not a reliable method. A feature may be added in a

dot release or a patch. It's best to always test the presence of the functionality.

FEN is built on top of the event notification system that exists in Solaris10

so I would suggest a "probe" port_create() with the right FEN parameters and back

off if the create fails.

One other note. If you intend to have a single binary run on multiple versions

of Solaris you should compile it on the oldest version you intend to run on,

e.g. Solaris 10. Executable compiled on a newer OS will as a rule not run on

older OSes.