1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2014 5:58 PM by DarrenAg Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
        DarrenAg

(quote)"Can you post the contents of $JSK_DIR/install_db_instance.sh after the dbca command ?"(/quote)

This is the ENTIRETY of the "install_db_instance.sh" file...

#!/bin/bash

export JSK_DIR=${PWD}

. $JSK_DIR/setup_env.sh

export ORACLE_HOME=$DB_ORACLE_HOME

export ORACLE_BASE=$DB_ORACLE_BASE

echo ""

#$DB_ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbca -createDatabase -templateName $JSK_DIR/General_Purpose.dbc -gdbName orcl -sid orcl -sysPassword $SCHEMA_PASSWORD -systemPassword $SCHEMA_PASSWORD -emConfiguration LOCAL -dbsnmpPassword $SCHEMA_PASSWORD -sysmanPassword $SCHEMA_PASSWORD -datafileJarLocation $DB_ORACLE_HOME/assistants/dbca/templates/ -storageType FS -datafileDestination $DB_ORACLE_DATA -responseFile NO_VALUE -characterset AL32UTF8 -obfuscatedPasswords false -sampleSchema true -oratabLocation ORATAB -recoveryAreaDestination NO_VALUE -silent

echo "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbca -silent -responseFile $JSK_DIR/dbca.rsp  -sampleSchema true -oratabLocation ORATAB" >> $LOGS_DIR/install_commands.log

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbca -silent -responseFile $JSK_DIR/dbca.rsp  -sampleSchema true -oratabLocation ORATAB

cat $JSK_DIR/dbca.rsp | grep -v -i PASSWORD > $JSK_DIR/dbca_saved_no_passwords.rsp

rm -f $JSK_DIR/dbca.rsp

echo ""

so based on the call above, can you help me figure out how to identify exactly WHAT class/method is being called within this step? That way I can try to trace through the various classes inside the multiple .JAR files that I have decompiled and tried to figure out on my own (but it is WAY too big a task to tackle that way; I need to know what to focus on).

Am I correct in presuming that "dbca.rsp" is where will will be stored the RESULTS of this function call? (the "response file") ... so which is the "INPUT", would that be "ORATAB"? If so, where would the details of that call (or list of calls) be stored?

Thanks...

• 16. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Ah OK - did not realize that is the entire file !

The dbca.rsp file is the input to DBCA - can you post its contents ? Looks like the "-sampleSchema" flag is forcing an install of the default sample schemas documented at Installation

It's possible that the install process is either hanging at this step or possibly waiting for an input - perhaps the "-nowait" flag may help ?

Understanding Oracle Universal Installer Commands

• 17. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
            DarrenAg

Many things are "possible" the real problem here is that since it is within an Oracle-provided "JumpStartKit" it is a completely "automated" installation of multiple products, so I can not step in and modify any of those steps.

My guess is that I am encountering an issue with the Oracle DB installation step (specifically, the instance configuration) which is NOT unique to the Portal setup (or the Portal JSK) -- it seems to be an issue others have encountered (or very similar) when installing Oracle Database.

When it occurs for others, maybe it isn't always at 87% (since I did not find many results in Google) but it definitely HAS happened to others during the Oracle DB install.

Sadly, the only "recommendation" I have seen anywhere is "it's probably out of memory so just add more RAM, increase Swap File, WAIT FOR IT TO FINISH".

I have tried all 3. Nearly a DOZEN TIMES. Still no luck.

I will try to pull up the file "dbca.rsp" tomorrow, a bit too busy today with other things though. Thanks for continuing to try to help...

• 18. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
              Srini Chavali-Oracle

Can you pl post your exact OS version, along with a link to where you downloaded this kit from ?

Most database install hanging issues occur on Windows - its pretty rare on Linux

HTH
              Srini

• 19. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                DarrenAg

As a reminder, this is Oracle Portal Jump Start Kit 11.1.1.8 running within Oracle Linux 6 (guest, within Virtual Box running on Windows 7)

I found the kit various ways, including from the WebCenter Portal page as well as an Oracle blog post (2 of them, actually) ... but the same source link comes up however you get there -- easily findable via Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Oracle+Portal+Jump+Start+Kit+11.1.1.8

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/webcenter/portal/downloads/default-2184086.html

Oracle WebCenter Portal Jump Start Kit

The Jump Start Kit (JSK) for WebCenter Portal is a utility that installs a fully functional version of WebCenter Portal pre-integrated with Oracle WebCenter Content, including key features enabled and preconfigured, all within a single machine instance (virtual or physical). The JSK supports Linux x86-64. It also includes a series of templates, examples, and lesson guides to walk you through a series of typical use cases. It is targeted to developers or product evaluation only, and is not supported for production use.

I have tried with a clean install of Oracle Linux 6, adding only the minimal required packages (of course first installing the convenient pre-install package provided by Oracle , via yum -y install oracle-rdbms-server-11* -- in Oracle Linux R6 ; or yum -y install oracle-validated* in Oracle Linux R5).

Since on a clean install one of the dbprereq tests comes back with this failure: "The localhost is not mapped to a valid IP address in Hosts file" I then added a line to the end of my "/etc/hosts" file:

echo "$(hostname -I)  $(hostname)">>/etc/hosts

I verified that the above is of course the same as manually adding this line: 10.0.2.15   mytest

I then verified that I can now ping my machine name, getting that 10. IP address.

So it's unlikely to be any kind of network/http issue.

After repeatedly getting "stuck" at 87%, I then tried with OL5 (thinking that maybe some of my package versions were "too new" and thus causing problems) then I went and tried AGAIN back in OL6 (once I had the same problem, getting stuck at 87% of database instance configuration).

I even got DESPERATE after all the same results with various attempts. I grabbed the Portal 11.1.1.7 SOA virtual machine image...

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/soasuite/learnmore/vmsoa-172279.html

Pre-built Virtual Machine for SOA Suite and BPM Suite 11g

This VirtualBox appliance contains a fully configured, ready-to-use SOA/BPM 11.1.1.7.1 installation.

All you need is to install Oracle VM VirtualBox on your desktop/laptop and import the SOA/BPM appliance and you are ready to try out SOA 11g and BPM 11g -- no installation and configuration required!

The following software is installed in this VirtualBox image:

• Oracle Linux 6 Update 4 (64-bit)
                • Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2
                • Oracle SOA Suite 11.1.1.7.1 (includes Service Bus & Business Activity Monitoring)
                • Oracle Event Processing 11.1.1.7.0
                • Oracle BPM Suite 11.1.1.7.1
                • Oracle Webcenter Content (Enterprise Content Management) 11.1.1.7.0
                • Oracle Webcenter Suite 11.1.1.7.0
                • Oracle Webcenter Portal 11.1.1.7.0
                • Oracle JDeveloper 11.1.1.7.0
                • Oracle JRockit
                • Java SE Development Kit

It's like 15gb total, after you grab all the separate files and combine them and convert the image inside VirtualBox :whew:

The result is a VirtualBox image that has a BUNCH of servers already installed and configured (as listed above), and Portal 11.1.1.7 is running which I verified ... and then I just deleted a bunch of folders to make HD space and then I ran the Portal JSK over top of that (since the whole reason for my task is try out some new things in Oracle Portal 11.1.1.*8* ). Still the same issue.

So I'm kinda feeling like I've hit a wall here.

Below is the aforementioned "dbca.rsp" file (in its entirety). Good luck, hope it helps...

PS: "Most database install hanging issues occur on Windows - its pretty rare on Linux"

So are you saying that it's a common issue? Does it "resolve itself" just by leaving it alone for an hour or two, or is there something that needs to be enabled/configured/modified when it happens? And what is the common CAUSE of this hanging issue in Windows (and why only in Windows and rarely in Linux?)

##############################################################################

##                                                                          ##

##                            DBCA response file                            ##

##                            ------------------                            ##

## Copyright   1998, 2007, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.         ##

## Specify values for the variables listed below to customize Oracle        ##

## Database Configuration installation.                                     ##

## Each variable is associated with a comment. The comment identifies the   ##

## variable type.                                                           ##

## Please specify the values in the following format :                      ##

##          Type       :  Example                                           ##

##          String     :  "<value>"                                         ##

##          Boolean    :  True or False                                     ##

##          Number     :  <numeric value>                                   ##

##          StringList :  {"<value1>","<value2>"}                           ##

## Examples :                                                               ##

##     1. dbca -progress_only -responseFile <response file>                 ##

##        Display a progress bar depicting progress of database creation    ##

##        process.                                                          ##

##     2. dbca -silent -responseFile <response file>                        ##

##        Creates database silently. No user interface is displayed.        ##

##     3. dbca -silent -createDatabase -cloneTemplate                       ##

## -responseFile <response file>                      ##

##        Creates database silently with clone template. The template in    ##

##  responsefile is a clone template.            ##

##     4. dbca -silent -deleteDatabase -responseFile <response file>        ##

##        Deletes database silently.                                        ##

##############################################################################

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# GENERAL section is required for all types of database creations.

[GENERAL]

# Name          : RESPONSEFILE_VERSION

# Datatype      : String

# Description   : Version of the database to create

# Valid values  : "11.1.0"

# Default value : None

# Mandatory     : Yes

RESPONSEFILE_VERSION = "11.2.0"

# Name          : OPERATION_TYPE

# Description   : Type of operation

# Valid values  : "createDatabase" \ "createTemplateFromDB" \ "createCloneTemplate" \ "deleteDatabase" \ "configureDatabase" \ "addInstance" (RAC-only) \ "deleteInstance" (RAC-only)

OPERATION_TYPE = "createDatabase"

#-----------------------*** End of GENERAL section ***------------------------

# CREATEDATABASE section is used when OPERATION_TYPE is defined as "createDatabase".

[CREATEDATABASE]

# Name          : GDBNAME

# Description   : Global database name of the database

# Valid values  : <db_name>.<db_domain> - when database domain isn't NULL

#                 <db_name>             - when database domain is NULL

GDBNAME = "orcl11g.us.oracle.com"

# Name          : POLICYMANAGED

# Datatype      : Boolean

# Description   : Set to true if Database is policy managed and

#  set to false if  Database is admin managed

# Valid values  : TRUE\FALSE

# Default value : FALSE

# Mandatory     : No

#POLICYMANAGED = "false"

# Name          : CREATESERVERPOOL

# Description   : Set to true if new server pool need to be created for database

#  if this option is specified then the newly created database

#  will use this newly created serverpool.

#  Multiple serverpoolname can not be specified for database

#CREATESERVERPOOL = "false"

# Name          : FORCE

# Description   : Set to true if new server pool need to be created by force

#  if this option is specified then the newly created serverpool

#  will be assigned server even if no free servers are available.

#  This may affect already running database.

#  This flag can be specified for Admin managed as well as policy managed db.

#FORCE = "false"

# Name          : SERVERPOOLNAME

# Description   : Only one serverpool name need to be specified

#   if Create Server Pool option is specified.

#   Comma-separated list of Serverpool names if db need to use

#   multiple Server pool

# Valid values  : ServerPool name

# Mandatory     : No [required in case of RAC service centric database]

#SERVERPOOLNAME =

# Name          : CARDINALITY

# Datatype      : Number

# Description   : Specify Cardinality for create server pool operation

# Valid values  : any positive Integer value

# Default value : Number of qualified nodes on cluster

# Mandatory     : No [Required when a new serverpool need to be created]

#CARDINALITY =

# Name          : SID

# Description   : System identifier (SID) of the database

# Valid values  : Check Oracle11g Administrator's Guide

# Default value : <db_name> specified in GDBNAME

SID = "orcl11g"

# Name          : NODELIST

# Description   : Comma-separated list of cluster nodes

# Valid values  : Cluster node names

# Mandatory     : No (Yes for RAC database-centric database )

#NODELIST=

# Name          : TEMPLATENAME

# Description   : Name of the template

# Valid values  : Template file name

TEMPLATENAME = "General_Purpose.dbc"

# Name          : OBFUSCATEDPASSWORDS

# Description   : Set to true if passwords are encrypted

#OBFUSCATEDPASSWORDS = FALSE

# Name          : SYSPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for SYS user

#SYSPASSWORD = "password"

# Name          : SYSTEMPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for SYSTEM user

#SYSTEMPASSWORD = "password"

# Name          : EMCONFIGURATION

# Description   : Enterprise Manager Configuration Type

# Valid values  : CENTRAL|LOCAL|ALL|NOBACKUP|NOEMAIL|NONE

# Default value : NONE

#EMCONFIGURATION = "NONE"

# Name          : DISABLESECURITYCONFIGURATION

# Description   : Database Security Settings

# Valid values  : ALL|NONE|AUDIT|PASSWORD_PROFILE

#DISABLESECURITYCONFIGURATION = "NONE"

# Name          : SYSMANPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for SYSMAN user

# Mandatory     : Yes, if LOCAL specified for EMCONFIGURATION

#SYSMANPASSWORD = "password"

# Name          : DBSNMPPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for DBSNMP user

# Mandatory     : Yes, if EMCONFIGURATION is specified

#DBSNMPPASSWORD = "password"

# Name          : CENTRALAGENT

# Description   : Grid Control Central Agent Oracle Home

# Mandatory     : Yes, if CENTRAL is specified for EMCONFIGURATION

#CENTRALAGENT =

# Name          : HOSTUSERNAME

# Description   : Host user name for EM backup job

# Mandatory     : Yes, if ALL or NOEMAIL are specified for EMCONFIGURATION

#HOSTUSERNAME =

# Name          : HOSTUSERPASSWORD

# Description   : Host user password for EM backup job

#HOSTUSERPASSWORD=

# Name          : BACKUPSCHEDULE

# Description   : Daily backup schedule in the form of hh:mm

# Default value : 2:00

#BACKUPSCHEDULE=

# Name          : SMTPSERVER

# Description   : Outgoing mail (SMTP) server for email notifications

# Mandatory     : Yes, if ALL or NOBACKUP are specified for EMCONFIGURATION

#SMTPSERVER =

# Name          : EMAILADDRESS

# Description   : Email address for email notifications

#EMAILADDRESS =

# Name          : DVOWNERNAME

# Description   : DataVault Owner

# Mandatory     : Yes, if DataVault option is chosen

#DVOWNERNAME = ""

# Name          : DVOWNERPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for DataVault Owner

# Mandatory     : Yes, if DataVault option is chosen

#DVOWNERPASSWORD = ""

# Name          : DVACCOUNTMANAGERNAME

# Description   : DataVault Account Manager

#DVACCOUNTMANAGERNAME = ""

# Name          : DVACCOUNTMANAGERPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for  DataVault Account Manager

#DVACCOUNTMANAGERPASSWORD = ""

# Name          : DATAFILEJARLOCATION

# Description   : Location of the data file jar

# Valid values  : Directory containing compressed datafile jar

#DATAFILEJARLOCATION =

# Name          : DATAFILEDESTINATION

# Description   : Location of the data file's

# Valid values  : Directory for all the database files

# Default value : $ORACLE_BASE/oradata

#DATAFILEDESTINATION =

# Name          : RECOVERYAREADESTINATION

# Description   : Location of the data file's

# Valid values  : Recovery Area location

# Default value : $ORACLE_BASE/flash_recovery_area

#RECOVERYAREADESTINATION=

# Name          : STORAGETYPE

# Description   : Specifies the storage on which the database is to be created

# Valid values  : FS (CFS for RAC), ASM

# Default value : FS

#STORAGETYPE=FS

# Name          : DISKGROUPNAME

# Description   : Specifies the disk group name for the storage

# Default value : DATA

#DISKGROUPNAME=DATA

# Name          : ASMSNMP_PASSWORD

# Description   : Password for ASM Monitoring

#ASMSNMP_PASSWORD=""

# Name          : RECOVERYGROUPNAME

# Description   : Specifies the disk group name for the recovery area

# Default value : RECOVERY

#RECOVERYGROUPNAME=RECOVERY

# Name          : CHARACTERSET

# Description   : Character set of the database

# Valid values  : Check Oracle11g National Language Support Guide

# Default value : "US7ASCII"

# Mandatory     : NO

#CHARACTERSET = "US7ASCII"

# Name          : NATIONALCHARACTERSET

# Description   : National Character set of the database

# Valid values  : "UTF8" or "AL16UTF16". For details, check Oracle11g National Language Support Guide

# Default value : "AL16UTF16"

#NATIONALCHARACTERSET= "UTF8"

# Name          : REGISTERWITHDIRSERVICE

# Description   : Specifies whether to register with Directory Service.

# Valid values  : TRUE \ FALSE

#REGISTERWITHDIRSERVICE= TRUE

# Name          : DIRSERVICEUSERNAME

# Description   : Specifies the name of the directory service user

# Mandatory     : YES, if the value of registerWithDirService is TRUE

#DIRSERVICEUSERNAME= "name"

# Name          : DIRSERVICEPASSWORD

# Description   : The password of the directory service user.

#  You can also specify the password at the command prompt instead of here.

#DIRSERVICEPASSWORD= "password"

# Name          : WALLETPASSWORD

# Description   : The password for wallet to created or modified.

#WALLETPASSWORD= "password"

# Name          : LISTENERS

# Description   : Specifies list of listeners to register the database with.

#  By default the database is configured for all the listeners specified in the

#  $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora

# Valid values  : The list should be space separated names like "listener1 listener2".

#LISTENERS = "listener1 listener2"

# Name          : VARIABLESFILE

# Description   : Location of the file containing variable value pair

# Valid values  : A valid file-system file. The variable value pair format in this file

#  is <variable>=<value>. Each pair should be in a new line.

#VARIABLESFILE =

# Name          : VARIABLES

# Description   : comma separated list of name=value pairs. Overrides variables defined in variablefile and templates

#VARIABLES =

# Name          : INITPARAMS

# Description   : comma separated list of name=value pairs. Overrides initialization parameters defined in templates

#INITPARAMS =

# Name          : MEMORYPERCENTAGE

# Description   : percentage of physical memory for Oracle

#MEMORYPERCENTAGE = "40"

# Name          : DATABASETYPE

# Description   : used for memory distribution when MEMORYPERCENTAGE specified

# Valid values  : MULTIPURPOSE|DATA_WAREHOUSING|OLTP

# Default value : MULTIPURPOSE

#DATABASETYPE = "MULTIPURPOSE"

# Name          : AUTOMATICMEMORYMANAGEMENT

# Description   : flag to indicate Automatic Memory Management is used

# Valid values  : TRUE/FALSE

# Default value : TRUE

#AUTOMATICMEMORYMANAGEMENT = "TRUE"

# Name          : TOTALMEMORY

# Description   : total memory in MB to allocate to Oracle

# Valid values  :

# Default value :

#TOTALMEMORY = "800"

#-----------------------*** End of CREATEDATABASE section ***------------------------

# createTemplateFromDB section is used when OPERATION_TYPE is defined as "createTemplateFromDB".

[createTemplateFromDB]

# Name          : SOURCEDB

# Description   : The source database from which to create the template

# Valid values  : The format is <host>:<port>:<sid>

# Default value : none

# Mandatory     : YES

SOURCEDB = "myhost:1521:orcl"

# Name          : SYSDBAUSERNAME

# Description   : A user with DBA role.

SYSDBAUSERNAME = "system"

# Name          : SYSDBAPASSWORD

# Description   : The password of the DBA user.

#SYSDBAPASSWORD = "password"

# Description   : Name for the new template.

TEMPLATENAME = "My Copy TEMPLATE"

#-----------------------*** End of createTemplateFromDB section ***------------------------

# createCloneTemplate section is used when OPERATION_TYPE is defined as "createCloneTemplate".

[createCloneTemplate]

# Description   : The source database is the SID from which to create the template.

#  This database must be local and on the same ORACLE_HOME.

SOURCEDB = "orcl"

# Mandatory     : YES, if no OS authentication

#SYSDBAUSERNAME = "sys"

# Description   : Name for the new template.

TEMPLATENAME = "My Clone TEMPLATE"

# Name          : DATAFILEJARLOCATION

# Description   : Location of the data file jar

# Valid values  : Directory where the new compressed datafile jar will be placed

# Default value : $ORACLE_HOME/assistants/dbca/templates

#DATAFILEJARLOCATION =

#-----------------------*** End of createCloneTemplate section ***------------------------

# DELETEDATABASE section is used when DELETE_TYPE is defined as "deleteDatabase".

[DELETEDATABASE]

# Description   : The source database is the SID

SOURCEDB = "orcl"

#SYSDBAUSERNAME = "sys"

#-----------------------*** End of deleteDatabase section ***------------------------

# GENERATESCRIPTS section

[generateScripts]

# Description   : Name of the template

# Valid values  : Template name as seen in DBCA

TEMPLATENAME = "New Database"

# Name          : GDBNAME

# Description   : Global database name of the database

# Valid values  : <db_name>.<db_domain> - when database domain isn't NULL

#                 <db_name>             - when database domain is NULL

GDBNAME = "orcl11.us.oracle.com"

# Name          : SCRIPTDESTINATION

# Description   : Location of the scripts

# Valid values  : Directory for all the scripts

#SCRIPTDESTINATION =

#-----------------------*** End of deleteDatabase section ***------------------------

# CONFIGUREDATABASE section is used when OPERATION_TYPE is defined as "configureDatabase".

[CONFIGUREDATABASE]

# Description   : The source database is the SID

#SOURCEDB = "orcl"

#SYSDBAUSERNAME = "sys"

#SYSDBAPASSWORD =

# Name          : REGISTERWITHDIRSERVICE

# Description   : Specifies whether to register with Directory Service.

#REGISTERWITHDIRSERVICE= TRUE

# Name          : UNREGISTERWITHDIRSERVICE

# Description   : Specifies whether to unregister with Directory Service.

#UNREGISTERWITHDIRSERVICE= TRUE

# Name          : REGENERATEDBPASSWORD

# Description   : Specifies whether regenerate database password in OID/Wallet

#REGENERATEDBPASSWORD= TRUE

# Name          : DIRSERVICEUSERNAME

# Description   : Specifies the name of the directory service user

# Mandatory     : YES, if the any of the reg/unreg/regenPasswd options specified

#DIRSERVICEUSERNAME= "name"

# Name          : DIRSERVICEPASSWORD

# Description   : The password of the directory service user.

# Mandatory     : YES, if the any of the reg/unreg/regenPasswd options specified

#DIRSERVICEPASSWORD= "password"

# Name          : WALLETPASSWORD

# Description   : The password for wallet to created or modified.

#WALLETPASSWORD= "password"

# Name          : DISABLESECURITYCONFIGURATION

# Valid values  : ALL|NONE|AUDIT|PASSWORD_PROFILE

#DISABLESECURITYCONFIGURATION = "NONE"

# Name          : ENABLESECURITYCONFIGURATION

# Valid values  : true|false

# Default value : true

#ENABLESECURITYCONFIGURATION = "true"

# Name          : EMCONFIGURATION

# Description   : Enterprise Manager Configuration Type

# Valid values  : CENTRAL|LOCAL|ALL|NOBACKUP|NOEMAIL|NONE

#EMCONFIGURATION = "NONE"

# Name          : SYSMANPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for SYSMAN user

# Mandatory     : Yes, if LOCAL specified for EMCONFIGURATION

#SYSMANPASSWORD = "password"

# Name          : DBSNMPPASSWORD

# Description   : Password for DBSNMP user

# Mandatory     : Yes, if EMCONFIGURATION is specified

#DBSNMPPASSWORD = "password"

# Name          : CENTRALAGENT

# Description   : Grid Control Central Agent Oracle Home

# Mandatory     : Yes, if CENTRAL is specified for EMCONFIGURATION

#CENTRALAGENT =

# Name          : HOSTUSERNAME

# Description   : Host user name for EM backup job

#HOSTUSERNAME =

# Name          : HOSTUSERPASSWORD

# Description   : Host user password for EM backup job

#HOSTUSERPASSWORD=

# Name          : BACKUPSCHEDULE

# Description   : Daily backup schedule in the form of hh:mm

# Default value : 2:00

#BACKUPSCHEDULE=

# Name          : SMTPSERVER

# Description   : Outgoing mail (SMTP) server for email notifications

#SMTPSERVER =

# Name          : EMAILADDRESS

# Description   : Email address for email notifications

#EMAILADDRESS =

#-----------------------*** End of CONFIGUREDATABASE section ***------------------------

# ADDINSTANCE section is used when OPERATION_TYPE is defined as "addInstance".

[ADDINSTANCE]

# Name          : DB_UNIQUE_NAME

# Description   : DB Unique Name of the RAC database

# Valid values  : <db_unique_name>

DB_UNIQUE_NAME = "orcl11g.us.oracle.com"

# Name          : INSTANCENAME

# Description   : RAC instance name to be added

# Default value : <sid_prefix>+<highest_current_thread+1>

#INSTANCENAME = "orcl1"

# Description   : Node on which to add new instance

#                 (in 10gR2, instance addition is supported on 1 node at a time)

# Valid values  : Cluster node name

NODELIST=

SYSDBAUSERNAME = "sys"

#-----------------------*** End of ADDINSTANCE section ***------------------------

# DELETEINSTANCE section is used when OPERATION_TYPE is defined as "deleteInstance".

[DELETEINSTANCE]

# Name          : DB_UNIQUE_NAME

# Description   : DB Unique Name of the RAC database

# Valid values  : <db_unique_name>

DB_UNIQUE_NAME = "orcl11g.us.oracle.com"

# Name          : INSTANCENAME

# Description   : RAC instance name to be deleted

INSTANCENAME = "orcl11g"

# Description   : Node on which instance to be deleted (SID) is located

# Valid values  : Cluster node name

#NODELIST=

SYSDBAUSERNAME = "sys"

#-----------------------*** End of DELETEINSTANCE section ***------------------------

• 20. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle

After repeatedly getting "stuck" at 87%, I then tried with OL5 (thinking that maybe some of my package versions were "too new" and thus causing problems) then I went and tried AGAIN back in OL6 (once I had the same problem, getting stuck at 87% of database instance configuration).

Did you get the same exact result with OL5 ? The download kit at Oracle WebCenter Portal JSK | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle&lt;/title&gt;&lt;meta name=&quot;Title&quot; content=&q…

includes database version 11.2.0.1, which is not certified/supported on OL6. You will need to use OL5.x

I do not think the dbca.rsp file is relevant, since the database gets created successfully.

• 21. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                    DarrenAg

Yes, same result with OL5.

Thanks for pointing out that non-certified*** issue though -- it would have been nice if the 11.1.1.8 JSK was made available as an already-built VirtualBox image (like the other one I mentioned) but if not then at LEAST suggest how to get a clean Linux installation with the proper packages installed in advance of actually RUNNING the jsk installer.

With OL5 it was extra challenging because although the packages were easier to make up-to-date (without making them a "higher" version) the JAVA version in OL5 was too low for the jsk to run; it took a LOT of work for me to figure out how to update Java in Linux (having zero Linux experience before taking on this task of evaluating Portal 11.1.1.8) ... once I got the Java version up to 1.7 the jsk installation ran -- but got stuck at the same 87% location as with OL6.

My RECOMMENDATION if you can speak to the right people within Oracle: make a RUNNING VirtualBox image available for Portal 11.1.1.8 -- since it is so signficantly improved over 1.1.1.7 in terms of some UI improvements and especially customizations. (I am ridiculously persistent and love learning new things, most others who might want to evaluate Portal would not take as much time to figure things out and try and retry things ; and even *I* am at the point of giving up of the product now since there is no easy way of getting it running to evaluate it).

*** also it isn't exactly clear to the average visitor to the JSK webpage that the most current version of *ORACLE* Linux is NOT going to work with the jsk, it would not be something you would expect!

Requirements

The minimum requirements are for a physical or virtual machine running Linux with minimum 10GB of RAM available. The supported operating system versions are Oracle Linux (all versions supported by the software) and RedHat Linux (all versions supported by the software). The versions supported mirror that of WebCenter Portal based on the latest WebLogic Server. Before performing any installation, you must read Oracle Fusion Middleware System Requirements and Specifications and Oracle Fusion Middleware Supported System Configurations to ensure that your environment meets the minimum installation requirements for the products you are installing. Both of these documents are available on

this page.

PS:

^ Oracle Linux 6 has been out since 2011 -- https://wikis.oracle.com/display/oraclelinux/Oracle+Linux+Release+Dates

and yet Oracle PORTAL 11.1.1.8 was released in 2013 -- https://blogs.oracle.com/webcenteralerts/entry/oracle_webcenter_11g_release_11

I wonder if Oracle Linux 6 is actually INCOMPATIBLE with Portal 11.1.1.8? I would actually be really surprised if it is! In other words, I highly doubt that Oracle would release a "Jump Start Kit" for a significantly-improved version of a product that ONLY ran on a 5+ year old version of their operating system offering (but not on the most recent version of the OS, even the 3 year old version) ...

• 22. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                      DarrenAg

...so, no new responses for a few days, I take it that means there's nothing else anyone can advise? Am I basically stuck here, until Oracle comes out with an already-built VM for Portal JumpStartKit 11.1.1.8?

• 23. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                        foxnet

Darren,

Just to quell your suspicions about installing the JSK on OL6 (even though it has been mentioned that is not *officially* supported), I did successfully install it on OL6.5 (easily).  Just a standard "Basic Server" install, used the oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall package, did the usual oracle user/group creation, and went from there.

The answer (or at least some indication to what it causing the problem) has to be in one of the logs in /opt/oracle/portal/db/cfgtoollogs/dbca/orcl... not sure which one to recommend (either orcl.log or trace.log, best guess).

The only difference between our two configurations is that I set swap space equal to RAM size (12GB).  I've done this for years, as Oracle (DB) used to give me problems if swap space wasn't greater than or equal to RAM size.

--Ed

• 24. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                          foxnet

Just rebuilt my VM again, but this time with 3/4 of the RAM... worked fine, so we can strike my final point.

• 25. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                            DarrenAg

Thanks foxnet; I always chose "Desktop" install because although I am learning some of the basic Linux commands I would much prefer using graphical interface for many common recurring tasks. I doubt that would be the reason for me failing and you succeeding though (I always added an extra swap file to make the total swap be approx. = to the RAM , i.e. 12GB RAM, around 12.5 GB swap -- although watching the System Monitor the whole time the RAM was never fully utilized so the swap file was never touched, so I always doubted that could be the issue).

I suspect it is a network/communication issue during the database instance configuration step -- when I installed OL5 and OL6 I just gave it a hostname like "myhost" and then added a line to /etc/hosts/ with the hard-coded IP address, for example

10.1.2.3 myhost

But when I *ran* the JSK installer, I did not include the optional "HTTP" value because I wanted the OUI to do its default -- can you provide for me what your command you used for running the JSK installer?

HERE is MINE:

(

my_download_dir=/media/sf_Downloads/JSKfiles

my_oracle_install_dir=/opt/oracle

)

su -c "cd /opt/oracle/run && ./runme INSTANCE_PASSWORD=ThisPassword ROOT_PASSWORD=ThatPassword DOWNLOAD_DIR=$my_download_dir INSTALL_DIR=$my_oracle_install_dir/portal$http_part" - oracle

^ PS: All of my permissions are fine (i.e. all the expected log files and unzipped folders etc. are written out without any problems)

Also when you chose OL6 that means you did not need to install any additional packages (other than oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall ) , correct? Or, can you tell me which extra packages you installed (before or after the 11gR2-preinstall) -- perhaps just to get the VirtualBox Extensions to work correctly?

Personally I may have installed "too many" additional packages, perhaps that caused problems. Can you confirm that all I would need are these?

1. yum -y install kernel-uek*$(uname -r)

1b. (install VirtualBox Guest Additions)

2. yum -y install oracle-rdbms-server-11* ( in Oracle Linux 5 it is yum -y install oracle-validated* )

2b. ? what kind of extra user/group setup do I need to do? Should I just "su oracle" before running the installer? (as I show I do above)

3. yum -y install expect glibc glibc.i686 elfutils-libelf-devel unixODBC unixODBC-devel

If only #1 and #2 are needed to get the JSK installer to work successfully, great! Maybe it *is* the fact that I am in the Desktop instead of just Basic Server But if not, which packages in #3 do you recommend?

I am willing to give it another shot, with OL6 (otherwise I gotta upgrade Java :sigh: )

Thanks in advance!

• 26. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                              foxnet

Hey, Darren --

Installing with a "Desktop" install isn't the problem -- no conflicting packages there.

I did add both a short and FQDN in /etc/hosts and use the HTTP_SERVER_NAME option.  (But, still, that shouldn't cause any problems during dbca.)

I didn't install the VBox extensions, since I'm just using a text install (and was creating a matched configuration for VBox and vSphere), but I'm sure this isn't related at all.

As far as packages, if the database installs fine (which yours did), your packages are likely fine.

Below is my kickstart file -- maybe you can try using it, and then we can rule out configuration issues.  After doing the kickstart, all I do is copy over the install files (actually, I have them on a separate vmdk that I just mount), and:

(as oracle)

cd /mnt/orainst/install && mkdir WCPortal_JSK_Linux.x86-64 && cd WCPortal_JSK_Linux.x86-64 && unzip ../WCPortal_JSK_Linux.x86-64.zip

cd /mnt/orainst/install/WCPortal_JSK_Linux.x86-64 && ./runme DOWNLOAD_DIR=/mnt/orainst/install INSTALL_DIR=/u01/app/oracle/product/webcenter HTTP_SERVER_NAME=wcportal.localdomain INSTANCE_PASSWORD=weblogic1 ROOT_PASSWORD=welcome1

If you want to do a desktop install, uncomment text, skipx, and the desktop packages (I added some comments around that part), and it should work fine.  Don't worry about the VBox extensions until you have a successfully running JSK.

Crossing my fingers this gets you further... let me know.

--Ed

#platform=x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T

#version=DEVEL

# Firewall configuration

firewall --disabled

# Install OS instead of upgrade

install

# Use CDROM installation media

cdrom

# Root password

rootpw --plaintext welcome1

# System authorization information

auth  --useshadow  --passalgo=sha512

# Use text mode install

text

# System keyboard

keyboard us

# System language

lang en_US

# SELinux configuration

selinux --disabled

# Do not configure the X Window System

skipx

# Disable firstboot

firstboot --disable

# Installation logging level

logging --level=info

# System timezone

timezone --isUtc America/New_York

# Network information

network  --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0 --onboot=on --hostname=wcportal

# System bootloader configuration

bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda

# Clear the Master Boot Record

zerombr

# Partition clearing information

clearpart --all --initlabel --drives=sda

# Disk partitioning information

part /boot --fstype=ext4 --size=500

part pv.01 --grow --size=1

volgroup vg_wcportal --pesize=4096 pv.01

logvol / --fstype=ext4 --name=lv_root --vgname=vg_wcportal --grow --size=1

# choose only one of the three following statements

# the /tmp/swappart only works if uncomment memory size calc lines in pre

#%include /tmp/swappart

#logvol swap --name=lv_swap --vgname=vg_wcportal --size=12288

logvol swap --name=lv_swap --vgname=vg_wcportal --size=9216

%pre

#MEMT=`cat /proc/meminfo|grep ^MemTotal|awk '{print $2'}`

#let SMEM=$MEMT/1024

#echo "logvol swap --name=lv_swap --vgname=vg_wcportal --size=$SMEM" > /tmp/swappart

%end

%post

#rm -f /tmp/swappart

# Fix for nproc problem on OL6 (MOS Note [ID 1487773.1])

sed -i -e 's/^\*\s*soft\s*nproc\s*1024$/*\t-\tnproc\t16384/' /etc/security/limits.d/90-nproc.conf

# this is fugly, but seems to be needed for ks on vsphere (not on vbox), so adding checks

id oracle >/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then

userdel oracle

rm -f /var/spool/mail/oracle

rm -rf /home/oracle

fi

groupmod oinstall >/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then

groupdel oinstall

fi

groupmod dba >/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then

groupdel dba

fi

groupadd -g 501 oinstall

groupadd -g 502 dba

groupadd -g 503 oper

groupadd -g 504 asmadmin

groupadd -g 506 asmdba

groupadd -g 505 asmoper

adduser -u 502 -g oinstall -G dba,asmdba,oper,wheel oracle

passwd oracle <<EOF

welcome1

welcome1

EOF

# kdump not enabled when doing text install without firstboot

/sbin/chkconfig kdump off

HOSTNAME=wcportal

echo DHCP_HOSTNAME=\"$HOSTNAME\" >>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

IPADDR=`/sbin/ifconfig eth0|grep inet\ addr|awk '{print $2}'|cut -d : -f 2`

echo $IPADDR $HOSTNAME.localdomain $HOSTNAME >>/etc/hosts

# turn off graphical boot

# but isn't working for some reason!

sed -i 's/ rhgb quiet//g' /etc/grub.conf

mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle/product/webcenter

chown -R oracle:oinstall /u01

%end

%packages

@additional-devel

@base

@compat-libraries

@console-internet

@debugging

@directory-client

@mail-server

@fonts

@graphical-admin-tools

@hardware-monitoring

@java-platform

@large-systems

@legacy-unix

@legacy-x

@nfs-file-server

@network-file-system-client

@network-tools

@performance

@perl-runtime

@scientific

@server-platform

@system-admin-tools

## - UNCOMMENT FOR DESKTOP - START

#@basic-desktop

#@desktop-platform

#@x11

## - UNCOMMENT FOR DESKTOP - END

compat-libcap1.x86_64

compat-libstdc++-33.i686

compat-libstdc++-33.x86_64

elfutils-libelf-devel.x86_64

expect.x86_64

gcc-c++.x86_64

glibc.i686

glibc-devel.i686

ksh.x86_64

libaio.i686

libaio-devel.i686

libaio-devel.x86_64

libgcc.i686

libstdc++.i686

libstdc++-devel.x86_64

nss-softokn-freebl.i686

numactl-devel.x86_64

unixODBC.i686

unixODBC.x86_64

unixODBC-devel.i686

unixODBC-devel.x86_64

glibc.x86_64

glibc-common.x86_64

glibc-devel.x86_64

glibc-headers.x86_64

nss-softokn-freebl.x86_64

oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall

%end

• 27. Re: JumpStartKit install hangs at 87% complete during database creation / instance configuration
                                DarrenAg

WOW, foxnet, you are a life saver! ["Correct Answer" marked ... but the fun is not quite over...]

I got back from 2 weeks of vacation and eventually got back to this task ... and although it was a challenge figuring out exactly HOW to get a Linux kickstart to work, figure it out I did.

(Strangely, the "%post" section did not seem to launch -- but not a big deal, I just manually did each command step-by-step. All of the packages seemed to install automagically before I saw my first command prompt though.)

So I figured out how to build a VDI containing just the 10gb of installer .ZIP files, figured out how to mount it, etc. etc. and FINALLY TODAY AT 12:30pm I clicked ENTER with my "runme" command. And color me shocked but it actually INSTALLED all the way, by about 3:45pm the final Step 22 of 22 completed! Pinch me I must be dreaming! The servers appeared to all shut down on their own and then restart in order and the UCM index got rebuilt and all servers seem to be running! (unbelievable excitement here, since I had all but given up before your post above).

So I immediately wanted to confirm each of the services are actually running -- since I'm in text-only land in a Linux server environment I decided to just use "wget" to grab a local copy of the .html being served, and then before I used "cat" I did a quick search to remember the name of the text web browser "links" so I used THAT to glance at each ".html" file ... confirmed, they seem to have the expected text contents.

the fun is not quite over:

So my final challenge (and request of you) is ... how do I let my Windows 7 host "see" the services running in my Linux guest within VirtualBox?

When I go to the direct IP address for the Linux guest from within my HOST (Windows 7) it says "Connecting..." but never finishes. So I did my best to confirm the port 7777 is open in my guest (via netstat , maybe that is not the best way?) ... I expect the ports are fine on the guest since I succeeded with the above "wget" attempts ...So now what?

From my initial research, it seems that it is best to use Bridged Networking ( https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#network_bridged ) and that means I need to shut down my guest VM in order to change network settings... so >>> how do I safely/elegantly tell the entire Portal JSK collection of servers to shut down, in order, nicely and neatly (and can I presume they will all start back up nicely when I restart my Linux VM?) <<< ... I decided to "Save State" for the guest VM right now, until I hear from you and your wisdom since you might be the only other person on this forum who has succeeding in getting the 11.1.1.8 PortalJSK to actually install and start!

Thankyouverymuch in advance!

1 2 Previous Next