6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 10:31 PM by 2709458 RSS

Dual migration-Oracle and Filesystem

Hi,

Here we are planning an SAP data center migration coupled with an upgrade from Solaris 10 to Solaris 11 and an upgrade from Oracle 10.2.0.2 to Oracle 11.2. The present Solaris 10; Oracle 10.2.0.2 resides on a VxFS filesystem and we are contemplating to adopt the ZFS filesystem in the new data center. In a nutshell, the objective is to upgrade to Solaris 11 and Oracle 11.2 and migrate from VxFS to ZFS. While we are familiar with the database upgrade procedures, we are not quiet sure on how to migrate from VxFS to ZFS. My google searches led me to migration procedures using live upgrade and oracle shadow migration. I am writing here to find if anyone has done this before. I would be much grateful if I could get a high level plan/procedure to achieve this.

Thanks and Regards

• 1. Re: Dual migration-Oracle and Filesystem
          ora_tech

Hi,

What is current hardware for solaris-10?

What is the size if your data.

My google searches led me to migration procedures using live upgrade and oracle shadow migration.

Live upgrade is not supported from solaris 10 to solaris 11.

thanks,

X A H E E R

• 2. Re: Dual migration-Oracle and Filesystem
            Srini Chavali-Oracle

Moved to the Solaris 11 forum

• 3. Re: Dual migration-Oracle and Filesystem
              Filip Francis

Hi,

first off all an upgrade from solaris 10 to solaris 11.1 can not be done.

Now what you can do is the following:

You can create in solaris 11.1 a solaris 10zone and that is supported.

You need to create a flar file off solaris 10 and then import this into a zone.

Now if you do not want this and just want to move from solaris 10 to solaris 11.1

then you need to have some new machines and isntall solaris 11.1 with the oracle database software.

Then make some zfs filesystems where  you can import the data  on the other system you need to export all data and then import.

Make sure that you zpool has at least 2 luns but from my experience i would go for at least 4 luns this will give you a very good performance.

Hope this helps

Filip

• 4. Re: Dual migration-Oracle and Filesystem
                Rmanus-Oracle

You cannot upgrade from S10 to S11.1. You will have to do a fresh install of S11.1 then install OracleDB 11.2. I assume that only the OracleDB data are on VxFS. In that case, you can use ZFS shadow migration feature to migrate the data from VxFS (on sol10 system) to ZFS (on s11.1 system). For more details : How to Migrate Your Data to Oracle Solaris 11 Using Shadow Migration

• 5. Re: Dual migration-Oracle and Filesystem

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Here is a high level plan. Please review.

1. Setup  Solaris 11; VxFS ; Oracle 10 g in the new datacentre

2. Configure dataguard to setup the system in step 1 to act as the physical standby database

3. On the cutover day, shutdown the primary database in the present data center and activate the standby database in the new data center to act as the production server.

4. The new database is live from this point onwards.

5. Employ Shadow migration to migrate the data from VxFS to ZFS.

Thanks for your time!

• 6. Re: Dual migration-Oracle and Filesystem

Sorry, missed a step.

1. Setup  Solaris 11; VxFS ; Oracle 10 g in the new datacentre

2. Configure dataguard to setup the system in step 1 to act as the physical standby database

3. On the cutover day, shutdown the primary database in the present data center and activate the standby database in the new data center to act as the production server.

4. The new database is live from this point onwards.

5. Upgrade to Oracle 11g on a different downtime

5. Employ Shadow migration to migrate the data from VxFS to ZFS.