3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2014 8:46 AM by EdStevens RSS

Managed ODP tnsnames.ora file location for IIS app

user12270593

Hi Alex,

We are not able to figure out where to copy tnsnames.ora for IIS application.

We copied into our binaries location but its not working and also we tried

C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv and also under

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv

Still not working.

Can you help where to copy this file?

Thanks

Pramode

• 1. Re: Managed ODP tnsnames.ora file location for IIS app
          sb92075

user12270593 wrote:

Hi Alex,

We are not able to figure out where to copy tnsnames.ora for IIS application.

We copied into our binaries location but its not working and also we tried

C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv and also under

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv

Still not working.

Can you help where to copy this file?

Thanks

Pramode

OFF TOPIC.

this forum is for questions regarding Oracle RDBMS; not clients that connect to the DB

Since when does IIS ever communicate directly with Oracle DB?

• 2. Re: Managed ODP tnsnames.ora file location for IIS app
            suchko

The server communicates with Oracle anytime someone runs an Oracle query from a IIS page.  I was continually getting ORA-12541: TNS: no listener when trying to access a remote Oracle data source from IIS on Server 2008 using the Oracle ODBC driver.  I was finally able to get it to work by placing the tnsnames.ora file into the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv directory which is the default directory for the IIS worker process, w3wp.exe.  Since that is quite a hack, I am going to see if there is a way to get the Oracle driver to check the normal places while running under in w3wp.exe.

• 3. Re: Managed ODP tnsnames.ora file location for IIS app
              EdStevens

suchko wrote:

The server communicates with Oracle anytime someone runs an Oracle query from a IIS page.  I was continually getting ORA-12541: TNS: no listener when trying to access a remote Oracle data source from IIS on Server 2008 using the Oracle ODBC driver.  I was finally able to get it to work by placing the tnsnames.ora file into the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv directory which is the default directory for the IIS worker process, w3wp.exe.  Since that is quite a hack, I am going to see if there is a way to get the Oracle driver to check the normal places while running under in w3wp.exe.

You appear to be hijacking someone else's old thread.  Nevetheless ..

tnsnames is not used by IIS.  It is only used by Oracle components, which in your case starts with the ODBC driver, which makes a call to the standard Oracle client libraries.  Which means you have the Oracle client installed.  Which means you have an ORACLE_HOME directory.  tnsnames.ora is properly (and by default) located in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.