2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 11:33 AM by gpabon-Oracle RSS

Manager purge trailfiles even the rule has not been met

gpabon-Oracle

Hope you can help me with this..

I have two replicats.

Both of them are reading the same trailfile.

Both replicats are being stopped with the END directive to stop at midnight + 15 minutes.

The manager has the following PURGE directive.

PURGEOLDEXTRACTS ./dirdat/e*, USECHECKPOINTS, MINKEEPHOURS 2

PURGEOLDEXTRACTS ./dirdat/r*, USECHECKPOINTS, MINKEEPHOURS 2

For 18 hours the replicats are stopped and everyday at 18:00 they are started again until 00:15:00 next day.

This has been working ok for about two months.

Now the problem is, the trail file that they were reading when they were stopped is purged by the manager.

The logic says, the keephour directive has been accomplished but the checkpoint says the replicats are still processing that trail.

What do you think is happening ?.

• 1. Re: Manager purge trailfiles even the rule has not been met
          MikeN

Make sure that there is no "purgeOldExtracts" in the replicat prm files -- that would cause the trails to be deleted prematurely.

Otherwise... I can only guess:   Is "minKeepHours 2" really doing anything useful? Would it be ok to just use "purgeOldExtracts", with no options? (since, "useCheckPoints" is already the default, and "keepHours 2" is a very small window anyway?)  I'm not saying it should be a problem, but it's something to try (as a work-around, if there is a bug... also, you should see if this can be reliably reproduced & open an SR.)  If you want to use "minKeep" rules, try re-adding in again (the default) "minKeepFiles 1" (or 2), in addition to the "minkeepHours" rule; maybe the "keepFiles" rule is (erroneously) getting lost. You may also choose to increase the minKeepHours to something like 4 (i.e., greater than half the window from 18:00 to 00:15).

• 2. Re: Manager purge trailfiles even the rule has not been met
            gpabon-Oracle

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Finally it seems to be a bug. There's an SR open with it.

GP.