4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 6:09 AM by 957302

Issue with break formatting in Apex Classic Report with the third column.

Hi Gurus,

I was trying to create a Classic Apex Report with break formatting, I tried using Break Formatting

In Report Attributes ->Break Columns: First, Second and Third column   and Break Column Style as Repeat Headings on Break

But as shown in attached image for the third column Area it is not performing break formatting it comes in the same row as Second Column.

apex issue.jpg

Also is there any way to give a different column back ground color for the first column and second column.

Thanks & Regards,

Vikas

• 1. Re: Issue with break formatting in Apex Classic Report with the third column.
          fac586

957302 wrote:

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "957302". When you ask APEX-related questions—especially those related to visual formatting and layout like this one—include all of the information detailed here: how to get answers from forum

Do not post [partial] screenshots of APEX applications: reproduce the problem in an example application on apex.oracle.com with guest developer credentials so we can see actual code.

I was trying to create a Classic Apex Report with break formatting, I tried using Break Formatting

In Report Attributes ->Break Columns: First, Second and Third column   and Break Column Style as Repeat Headings on Break

But as shown in attached image for the third column Area it is not performing break formatting it comes in the same row as Second Column.

A 3 column report with breaks on the first 3 columns doesn't appear to make a lot of sense, and 2 rows is insufficient to illustrate the problem.

Break reports must be ordered on the break columns to work properly. Does your report query have a suitable ORDER BY clause?

Please reproduce this on apex.oracle.com, or post the details requested in the link above along with DDL to create the table(s) involved and INSERT statements to provide [more than 2 rows of] sample data.

Also is there any way to give a different column back ground color for the first column and second column.

Yes, this is possible using report templates, CSS, JavaScript, or dynamic actions. Provide detailed requirements and we can determine the correct approach in this case.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issue with break formatting in Apex Classic Report with the third column.

Sorry fac586 for not following the guidelines, I tried changing the handle and it is not updating my Name.

I will check with Oracle Support on this.

I created a new account in apex.oracle.com and created an application https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=68480:2

Query I used for the report is

select

fn_return_ename("MGR") MGR,

"JOB",

fn_return_deptname("DEPTNO") DEPT,

"EMPNO",

"ENAME",

"HIREDATE",

"SAL",

"COMM"

from   "EMP"

order by MGR,JOB,DEPT

I am trying to break format using first 3 column , but I am not getting formatting right here.

Basically as attached in the image , an example of one of the record what I am trying to get is:

apexissue3.jpg

To get the rows in different color I tried adding <tr><td class="blueCol">#MGR#</td> </tr> in column HTML formatting without any help.

Any help here is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Vikas

• 3. Re: Issue with break formatting in Apex Classic Report with the third column.
              fac586

957302 wrote:

Sorry fac586 for not following the guidelines, I tried changing the handle and it is not updating my Name.

I will check with Oracle Support on this.

OK, but you should be able to do it by clicking the Username Edit link on the Your Profile tab, then Communities on the Oracle Account page, and set the Display Name under Oracle Interactive Forums.

I created a new account in apex.oracle.com and created an application https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=68480:2

Thanks for taking the time to create the example. It really helps to see where you've actually got to.

Query I used for the report is

select

fn_return_ename("MGR") MGR,

"JOB",

fn_return_deptname("DEPTNO") DEPT,

"EMPNO",

"ENAME",

"HIREDATE",

"SAL",

"COMM"

from   "EMP"

order by MGR,JOB,DEPT

Do not use quoted identifiers. They are unnecessary here and just get in the way.

Retrieving foreign key values by calling user defined functions for each row in a report in this way will adversely affect performance due to context switching between SQL and PL/SQL. Assuming a properly designed data model, best performance will be achieved by joining to the required tables in the query. If this cannot be done for some reason, then create an LOV based on the function and key value, retrieve the key value in the report query, and set the report column Display As attribute to Display as Text (based on LOV, does not save state) which will only call the function for rows that actually displayed in the report.

I am trying to break format using first 3 column , but I am not getting formatting right here.

Basically as attached in the image , an example of one of the record what I am trying to get is:

apexissue3.jpg

I don't think this layout is possible using the built-in report break formatting. The indentation on the non-break columns is also not supported by HTML tables, and personally I would not introduce empty cells into the table solely for the purpose of indenting other cells, nor would I use nested tables in this case.

I'd suggest using a custom report template similar to this example. See Re: Custom Report Template Issue for a description of how to create a similar report.

To get the rows in different color I tried adding <tr><td class="blueCol">#MGR#</td> </tr> in column HTML formatting without any help.

That will not work. The table row and cell structure is already supplied by the report template and injecting additional table mark-up inside the cell will simply result in invalid tag soup. CSS styling would also have to be applied using "blueCol" as a class selector.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Issue with break formatting in Apex Classic Report with the third column.

Thanks a lot  fac586, let me try using custom report templates.

Thanks & Regards,

Vikas